Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭AngryLips

darkman2 wrote: »
    Anyone else think it's a mistake to link the posh luas line with the red line? I heard someone mention this to me and they have genuine concerns about the security implications on the red line that don't exist on the green line.

Yes there would be serious security concerns on the red line once the two lines have been linked. As a resident in a neighbourhood served by the red line I'm genuinely worried by the risk of gentrification in my area and the prospect of having snobs for neighbours once BXD is built.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭An Cuinneach

AngryLips wrote: »
    Yes there would be serious security concerns on the red line once the two lines have been linked. As a resident in a neighbourhood served by the red line I'm genuinely worried by the risk of gentrification in my area and the prospect of having snobs for neighbours once BXD is built.

Seconded.

Plus the security on the Red Line is fantastic. Ever since they've been introduced, I haven't had a single bad experience on the Luas. It seems the knackers and drug users aren't fond of going up against seven foot tall Eastern Europeans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

seven foot tall Eastern Europeans.

We have those guys on the Green Line too!

Obviously on the look-out for refugees from Red Line country 'cos otherwise why would we need them?

They breed them in the Estonian outback...never seen guys as large....costs a fortune to feed them; special food section at Leopardstown Valley SC just to keep them in vitals.

'Tis said they are especially mean if they haven't eaten for five minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

AngryLips wrote: »

I'm only being mischevious;)

darkman2 wrote: »
    I'm only being mischievous

We know that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Since there are no through Red/Green line services planned I reckon the Greenies should worry more about Line F than Line A :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

dowlingm wrote: »
    Since there are no through Red/Green line services planned I reckon the Greenies should worry more about Line F than Line A :rolleyes:

F co-runs with A in part and not with B - surely its BXD with Cabra and Finglas they'd be running scared from...

Indeed.
    We know why it's called the F line, don't we?
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Jack Noble

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Indeed.
    We know why it's called the F line, don't we?
    :cool:

Cos there's F all chance of it being built this side of 2030...?

Jack Noble wrote: »
    Cos there's F all chance of it being built this side of 2030...?

That's another good reason ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

MYOB wrote: »

F co-runs with A in part and not with B - surely its BXD with Cabra and Finglas they'd be running scared from...
    Argh, yes that was what I meant. Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

If no one on this forum is aware DIT Grangegorman just got the go ahead which will be a major boost for this Luas line. More info on that at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055972651&page=7

Also in my lurking on this forum iv never seen a link to Luas BXD planning application website http://www.dublinluasbroombridge.ie/ There is a massive amount of information on this. Im half convinced they made the site bad on purpose as its impossible to find with google and impossible to navigate around.

While i only took a very quick look though the An Board Pleanala reports at http://www.pleanala.ie/news/ZD2005/ZD2005.htm they have multiple references to the Luas if anyone si interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Ever since they've been introduced, I haven't had a single bad experience on the Luas.

Agreed - security is present but relatively discreet (as far as you can be if you're 6'x" and are dressed like a SWAT team member). They don't even have to intervene much anymore - the troublemakers don't even bother kicking off. There seems to be a good working relationship with the GS too - have seen both 'persuading' junkies to stop hassling punters on platforms.

Back on topic for a second, it bodes well for BXD and other lines if the red line can be kept in order like this. Can't be cheap to do, but at least it means that the investment can be used without fear (relatively speaking).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭cgcsb

interactive_map.swf

this map now appears on the rpa's home page, this'll be their main pet project for the next few years.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

What do you want them to do? Keep up the planned network map which included Metro North and Metro West?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I don't want them to do anything, I was merely drawing attention to the change, Jeeezz

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Fair enough.

Iv'e seen RPA engineers taking measurements at the long stone at Doyles corner and going up Hawkings St towards the new bridge. They seem to be testing soil quality this morning as well.

Is it possible that they might attempt to get this section done first so that they will eb able to lay the tracks across the new bridge in one go?

Has anyone else seen them doing any work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Saw them working on Dawson Street a while back. Just two guys out surveying the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

nowecant wrote: »
    Iv'e seen RPA engineers taking measurements at the long stone at Doyles corner and going up Hawkings St towards the new bridge. They seem to be testing soil quality this morning as well.

Is it possible that they might attempt to get this section done first so that they will be able to lay the tracks across the new bridge in one go?

Has anyone else seen them doing any work?

They can lay the tracks/foundations on the bridge and cover them over.

• Advertisement

BrianD wrote: »
    They can lay the tracks/foundations on the bridge and cover them over.

Why would they cover them over?

I was asking if anyone else thought they might be starting the work on this section so that they would be ready for when the main structure of the bridge was up in order to have the entire section done in one go?

However if they are undertaking the same measurements on Dawson St as pointed out by Aard it is unlikely.

Also has anyone else heard anything more about a report the RPA are meant to be completing in relation to alternatives to overhead wires in certain parts of the city centre such as College Green? An Board Planala are apparently making them compleet it. Will this delay construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Will this delay construction?

The Government pushed the start of construction back to 2015, so no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

They are doing works on Dominick Street today, must be digging some parts up because the note said all footpaths will be restored afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm all for linking up the Green Line with the Bread Line, I just wish they'd hurry up and do it. Should have been done in the first place. Once it's completed, it will be a decent piece of public infrastructure, with genuine links for the entire city to north and south and dart. Next step is airport.

Why would they cover them over?

In the event that the rest of the line is a long time coming. I suppose if it's an embedded track makes no odds. If I recall during the original construction of the luas there were some areas where track was laid early and then temporarily tarmaced over.

[Quote=[Jackass]]Next step is airport.[/quote] No justifiable demand exists for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

BrianD wrote: »
    If I recall during the original construction of the luas there were some areas where track was laid early and then temporarily tarmaced over.

You do, O'Connell St was one of those places.
    No justifiable demand exists for it.

Based on what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

monument wrote: »
    What do you want them to do? Keep up the planned network map which included Metro North and Metro West?

Hopefully the metrowest has been binned for ever.

But the metro north project is still part of the plan, according to the RPA
    “larger public transport projects proposed for the GDA (such as Metro North and DART Underground which were to be advanced as PPP projects, but which require very significant Exchequer contributions) cannot proceed at this time. They are being postponed for consideration in advance of the next capital programme which will be drawn up in 2015 and will cover the period from 2016 onwards. These projects are being deferred, not cancelled: they remain key elements of the overall integrated transport strategy for the GDA and will be progressed when fiscal and market conditions improve.

There are obviously some fairly oddball aspects of metro north which will need to be given further attention before commencement of the project is seriously considered in the future.

However the project, according to the above, is still on the table. So why should they not include it on their planned network map?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I'm all for linking up the Green Line with the Bread Line, I just wish they'd hurry up and do it. Should have been done in the first place.

Of course it should've been done first time round, but we had a government led by a coward who was afraid of confronting vested interests. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

BXD journey time is planned to be 24 minutes. Broombridge is only half way to the airport, so if the line were continued on to the airport the journey time would be unattractive.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    You do, O'Connell St was one of those places.

Based on what?

Demand for a luas to the airport as a final destination? I thought that arguement was pretty well boxed off at this stage. The patronage isn't there. Airport served as part of a route makes sense but given that this is a discussion about Luas BXD, I'll stop there.

Advertisement