Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

MJohnston wrote: »
    Well, it does make me wonder how they've never used these temporary switchbacks in those situations before!

The time and effort to install and then remove then would likely lead to more disruption than a couple of hour closure for a parade

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

They're called crossovers to be technical, with the actual junction on each line being a set of points.

It did require an all night possession to install this temporary crossover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

BowWow wrote: »

Not really surprising - they were covering themselves with the vague date of the end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Not really surprising - they were covering themselves with the vague date of the end of July.

Standard practice in a country that's pretty much allergic to time keeping :)

• Advertisement

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Standard practice in a country that's pretty much allergic to time keeping :)

Damned if they do and damned if they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭trellheim

Grangegorman FB showing pictures of diggers knocking the wall between Broadstone and the campus, to facilitate LUAS station.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Good in depth progress article here about the cross city works (if you can ignore the pop up subscription ad....!)

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2016/07/05/in-the-city-centre-luas-cross-city-works-rush-forward/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Some photos I took today of the Fassaugh Road station, looking north:

jLd53Zy.jpg

And looking south towards Cabra Road:

87EFvGL.jpg

Anyone know where the ramp at the north end of the station is supposed to go? Is there going to be an access into the park from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Anyone know where the ramp at the north end of the station is supposed to go? Is there going to be an access into the park from there?

http://www.dublinluasbroombridge.ie/Downloads/PlanofProposedWorks/02-STRUCTURES/16_BXD_ST_30_A-B.pdf

vvqsuYF.png

Looks like access to the park, yes.

• Advertisement

MrMorooka wrote: »

Great, that parks a little closed off, hopefully this will make it more accessible. Also, state of Connacht Street at the minute is a total disgrace, sent some complaining tweets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

ongarboy wrote: »
    Good in depth progress article here about the cross city works (if you can ignore the pop up subscription ad....!)

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2016/07/05/in-the-city-centre-luas-cross-city-works-rush-forward/

Christ alive, that is the most irritating website.
    In the Luas Cross City’s budget, a significant sum is set aside for marketing the city centre.

This is why we cant have nice things. We spend all the money on marketing stuff we dont need to market. If we just built fast reliable public transport it would market itself.

Another nice article from Dublin Inquirer here on the Broombridge area and station:

http://www.dublininquirer.com/2016/08/23/luas-cross-city-augurs-change-in-broombridge/

I'll not copy and paste as I really enjoy their journalism and want to support them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,408 ✭✭✭cgcsb

There is certainly a great opportunity for an SDZ there around Broombridge and if you look just north of it there's the Tolka Valley Park meaning that you could comfortably stick some high rise development on Ballyboggan road without fear of it overshaddowing anyone. Easy access to Lidl and Tesco there and you have both commuter Rail(future DART) and luas services. An ideal location for a large multi-block development.

I suspect that some of the empty industrial units will have to be demolished to accommodate a luas extension to Finglas and at that stage an SDZ will probably be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The area between the Ballyboggan Road and the Royal Canal is a sitting duck for Sandyford style development - high density living mixed with offices, commercial and light industrial.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I have read about the Finglas extension, why not simply extend it to roughly dunsink observatory... or serve finglas and build a spur to the land I am talking about...

take all that land and the golf course etc and serve it with one or two stops that are walkable to all of the development... There is a serious amount of greenfield there, on the inside of the m50

Idbatterim wrote: »
    why not simply extend it to roughly dunsink observatory

Because it's in the middle of now where?

Here's an old crayon thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056158305

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

take all that land and the golf course etc and serve it with one or two stops that are walkable to all of the development... There is a serious amount of greenfield there, on the inside of the m50

Because half is a dump, and a large part of the rest is a golf course.
    And the remaining land is walkable to Ashtown train station.

Sure isn't there supposed to be a plan to spur off of the Broombridge line and head up through Finglas to the airport?
    Would prefer something like that myself - have it pass through all those disconnected new developments in the north west quadrant of the city, like Hollywoodrath, and maybe swing back around the airport to connect up with MN.

Sure isn't there supposed to be a plan to spur off of the Broombridge line and head up through Finglas to the airport?
    Would prefer something like that myself - have it pass through all those disconnected new developments in the north west quadrant of the city, like Hollywoodrath, and maybe swing back around the airport to connect up with MN.

That spur was proposed as an alternative to MN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I'm aware it's currently in middle of nowhere. That's my point. Build it to there and allow high density apartments all around it... Take a look at even cherrywood. The thousands of acres of greenfield to the south of it. A spur should be built off it in my opinion and allow proper high density along that corridor. It's going to be built on one way or another... Better in my opinion to make it sustainable high density, rather than what would currently get proposed for such locations...

I'm aware it's currently in middle of nowhere. That's my point. Build it to there and allow high density apartments all around it... Take a look at even cherrywood. The thousands of acres of greenfield to the south of it. A spur should be built off it in my opinion and allow proper high density along that corridor. It's going to be built on one way or another... Better in my opinion to make it sustainable high density, rather than what would currently get proposed for such locations...

I rather build spurs to places where people actually live now . We are years off building just in case spurs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

In a few years Cherrywood could be great. Its a bit mad that you can see cows from the Luas around that area. Where else in the world would urban light rail be built through agricultural land.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

syklops wrote: »
    In a few years Cherrywood could be great. Its a bit mad that you can see cows from the Luas around that area. Where else in the world would urban light rail be built through agricultural land.

China!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

That is a year old

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    That is a year old

Gah sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Is there any journey times in existence yet ? I know this is something you can only be definitive about after on-street testing in due course but I am curious. In particular whether SSG to the ILAC centre will be any quicker than a brisk walk.

I've long held that in particular the Dawson stop but also the Upper O'Connell/Parnell stops are unnecessary given how close they are to other stops and will only serve to slow down the whole service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,408 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The turns on and off Dawson street are pretty tight so I'd imagine that'll be the bulk of any delay. I would say from College Green to the top of O'Connell street will be pretty quick. Maybe 10-12 mins all in? A walk would be 20 mins+ depending on how many tourists are blocking up the paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Broombridge - SSG is down as 21 minutes on the cross city page.
    SSG - Broombridge is 24 minutes I think, though I can't find where it says that at the moment.
    There are 6 stops North of Parnell and that's the longer section of track, however there are fewer delays in the form of road crossings etc.

Allow a minute per stop (minimum) for those 6 and the time SSG - Parnell is maximum 18 mins Northbound and 15 minutes Southbound, probably less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The trams rarely stop for a minute at a stop.

Advertisement