Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

markpb wrote: »
    How will that work? (Out of curiosity)

It would have to be a special movement under local control.

Tram comes along Abbey St from Heuston direction. Continues past crossover.

Then points reset and tram reverses and moves across the connecting track and heads south along Marlborough Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Just a question, why did they not build the tracks at Constitution Hill over the summer period? It's the quietest time of the year traffic-wise. Same for the Dominick St/Bolton St crossing.

Unless something else was factored in that I'm not aware. That area isn't particularly frequented by tourists, only commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Just a question, why did they not build the tracks at Constitution Hill over the summer period? It's the quietest time of the year traffic-wise. Same for the Dominick St/Bolton St crossing.

Unless something else was factored in that I'm not aware. That area isn't particularly frequented by tourists, only commuters.

Tracks there have been mostly laid though? they did a lot of contraflow work over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

MJohnston wrote: »
    Tracks there have been mostly laid though? they did a lot of contraflow work over the summer.

I didn't see any tracks on the ground at the Bolton St/Dominick St junction however I could've missed the tracks at Constitution Hill as I was on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

Has anyone heard much about potential development being considered by private interests around brrombridge? A lot of old warehouse and factory space that could be bought up!

Imagie they made a mini Sandyford area out of it! :P

• Advertisement

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I didn't see any tracks on the ground at the Bolton St/Dominick St junction however I could've missed the tracks at Constitution Hill as I was on the bus.

I've definitely warily cycled over the tracks on Constitution Hill recently, although only on the uphill side of the road, so it's possible they aren't on the other side, but unlikely given the amount of work they've done there. My guess is they couldn't do both that junction and Bolton Street at the same time because the traffic in both is somewhat interdependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,408 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Perfect location for an SDZ with highrise, pleanty of groceries nearby, excellent transport links, bordered to the north by a park so no fear of overshadowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭trellheim

Grangegorman is a special planning area already ? There's been a whole city centre quarter thats being built (although somewhat in the High Court at the mo ) .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

trellheim wrote: »
    Grangegorman is a special planning area already ? There's been a whole city centre quarter thats being built (although somewhat in the High Court at the mo ) .

I believe that was in relation to an earlier conversation about Dublin Industrial estate which lies between the Royal Canal and Tolka Valley Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard much about potential development being considered by private interests around brrombridge? A lot of old warehouse and factory space that could be bought up!

The estate agents have had their eyes on that area for a while:http://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/could-broombridge-development-be-answer-to-housing-shortage-issue-30330125.html
    I remember something from engineers Ireland mentioning it too, that was ages ago though, I haven't heard anything recently. Your absolutely right, it would make a fantastic location for a Sandyford-esque development with the luas/rail line and backing on to parkland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Reuben1210 wrote: »

I think councillors looked for the zoning to be changed to residential or mixed use but the manager recommend otherwise. That was part of the current, on-going city development plan process, so I'm not sure what position was set in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

When people here mention a sandyford esque development do they mean a load of apartments in an industrial estate? Ive worked in the sandyford apartment blocks and apart from the Luas they have nothing going for them, admittedly they seem a lot worse because of the stop in works during the recession but still not somewhere Id like to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

salmocab wrote: »
    When people here mention a sandyford esque development do they mean a load of apartments in an industrial estate? Ive worked in the sandyford apartment blocks and apart from the Luas they have nothing going for them, admittedly they seem a lot worse because of the stop in works during the recession but still not somewhere Id like to live.

Presumably they mean an area with reasonably high density residential accommodation, lot of office space, rail based public transport, shops of various sizes, cafes, restaurants, crèches, schools and surrounded by lower density areas with houses, schools, parks and a shopping centre?

If that happened Broombridge, given that it's even closer to the city and to Grangegorman, it could turn out even better.

markpb wrote: »
    Presumably they mean an area with reasonably high density residential accommodation, lot of office space, rail based public transport, shops of various sizes, cafes, restaurants, crèches, schools and surrounded by lower density areas with houses, schools, parks and a shopping centre?

If that happened Broombridge, given that it's even closer to the city and to Grangegorman, it could turn out even better.

Thats fair enough although if I was selling it as a concept Id not be mentioning sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

Thats fair enough although if I was selling it as a concept Id not be mentioning sandyford.

What, exactly, didn't you like about Sandyford, what was missing that would make you like it better? I'll admit it is very quiet at night but then again, so it's every residential neighbourhood in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The only problem with Sandyford is that it was built halfway up the Dublin mountains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Aside from the lack of a decent pub whats wrong with Sandyford? Its Shangri La compared to Cherrywood. Theres a Dunnes, and Aldi, a gym, cafes, restaurants, a luas line and high density living. High density 'nice' living.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Around 2010 ish there was an article about the residential at Sandyford, and how it wasn't planned to best practice at all, with the road traffic planning placing a far greater emphasis on vehicle traffic than pedestrians.

Hopefully they can learn from this experience in Broombridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Dardania wrote: »
    Around 2010 ish there was an article about the residential at Sandyford, and how it wasn't planned to best practice at all, with the road traffic planning placing a far greater emphasis on vehicle traffic than pedestrians.

Hopefully they can learn from this experience in Broombridge

I used to work in Sandyford and it isnt perfect. If you get the Luas to the Sandyford stop but work where the Beacon is, its a good 10 minute walk, uphill, with the wind and rain blowing into your face in the winter months. If they could have had the luas either run through the middle of it, or loop around it it would be a lot better. Too late now though.

A friend of mine works in Vodafone and lives in Firhouse. On a saturday its a ten minute journey between the two, but he regularly spends an hour getting home, because it can take ages to get out of Sandyford at rush hour, particularly clocking off time.

syklops wrote: »
    Aside from the lack of a decent pub whats wrong with Sandyford? Its Shangri La compared to Cherrywood. Theres a Dunnes, and Aldi, a gym, cafes, restaurants, a luas line and high density living. High density 'nice' living.

Sorry on the delay, like I said Ive worked up there a good bit in both the Beacon and in south central apartments (not sure if thats their name actually) both nice enough complexes but I suppose its that as there are a couple of big complexes it feels like there is no centre to it all and no feeling of a community No playgrounds or decent outdoor space(that I seen anyway). Also it seems most directions you look its just industrial estate all round.
    Just to be clear though Im not trying to be that dick who knocks things on the internet for no good reason, Im sure lots of people like living there and it suits them and there are definite advantages with the Luas and some supermarkets on site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

I'm sure this will have been answered earlier in the thread, but what is the purpose of the northbound connection to the red line running west, and the red line west bound connecting with south bound green?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

ncounties wrote: »
    I'm sure this will have been answered earlier in the thread, but what is the purpose of the northbound connection to the red line running west, and the red line west bound connecting with south bound green?

If a tram brakes down it can be taken to the nearest depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    If a tram brakes down it can be taken to the nearest depot.

That's not really it, TBH it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't bother commissioning it like the Connolly-The Point turnouts. Good to have the option and flexibility all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    That's not really it, TBH it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't bother commissioning it like the Connolly-The Point turnouts. Good to have the option and flexibility all the same.

I thought they ran Connolly-Point shuttles when there's stuff on at the Point? The tracks certainly look like they get occasional use.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The connecting line from Connolly to the Point is used for empty tram movements when there is an event on at the Point. Trams are stored at Connolly (the stop is out of use at that stage) and sent to the Point when required.

lxflyer wrote: »
    The connecting line from Connolly to the Point is used for empty tram movements when there is an event on at the Point. Trams are stored at Connolly (the stop is out of use at that stage) and sent to the Point when required.

No its not, they operate 3 trams into Connolly (both platforms and another on inbound track) and when required they go back ito Busaras and depart for The Point. All 3 use inbound line between Connolly-Busars. All other trans run out of service directly to The Point.

The turnouts are not fully connected up.

Will double check if something has changed.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »

I thought they ran Connolly-Point shuttles when there's stuff on at the Point? The tracks certainly look like they get occasional use.

Wouldn't take notice of that, tracks are gone over with machines hence the look before any train can use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

When the SSG section is finished will there be 2 lines or three at that section, ie a 3rd line for trams to turn back. Or will it be two lines with the crossover that is there right now?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    When the SSG section is finished will there be 2 lines or three at that section, ie a 3rd line for trams to turn back. Or will it be two lines with the crossover that is there right now?

Click on the 1.1 Grafton Street Lower alignment drawing here to find out your answer:

https://www.luascrosscity.ie/map/alignmentdrawings/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

MJohnston wrote: »
    Click on the 1.1 Grafton Street Lower alignment drawing here to find out your answer:

https://www.luascrosscity.ie/map/alignmentdrawings/

Will there be a point where a tram on the red line can cross over to the green line and continue north or south?
    Also would the red line be getting larger trams too and extended platforms?

Advertisement