Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It was also only 5 metres of track, not like they ripped up the entire length of track from one end of the street to the other. Suppose it is free advertising for his business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

MJohnston wrote: »
    Ah stop looking for an argument, I'm just trying to look at it from both perspectives, instead of moaning about moaning.

You're giving him a whinger too much credit. A shop that was open donkeys years and the works are well over due fair enough but he knew what he was getting into and the works are on schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You're giving him a whinger too much credit. A shop that was open donkeys years and the works are well over due fair enough but he knew what he was getting into and the works are on schedule

How am I giving him *any* credit let alone too much? All I said was I hope the works are done before a business I like is affected too badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

The works he knew of in advance of setting up his business and will bring thousands of people past his door daily when completed?
    What are the chances that when the works are completed we'll see a follow-up article with him saying how great the Luas is and how it brings all that extra custom into his shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Have to laugh at the "Would you see this on the other side of the city?" comment.

Well, yes, Barry, that's kind of the fcuking point of the whole project.:rolleyes::)

Let's all promise to stop off at 147 and buy a sandwich on our first trips on the new Luas section and leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I can understand his frustration, but a lot of what he said was plain silly and he didn't do his business any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

spacetweek wrote:
    I can understand his frustration, but a lot of what he said was plain silly and he didn't do his business any favours.

He's in the press and we're talking about him right now. One poster here has talked about how good their food is. Even if it wasn't his intention, how did it not do his business any favors?

If anyone does go in there to complain, try the 147 Club, it's the best sandwich I've ever had :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I see they are still sticking to the December date for the service becoming operational. Any chance of it opening earlier? It wouldn't surprise me to see it up and running by October. Afterall would be a good news story if it opens 'ahead of schedule'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I see they are still sticking to the December date for the service becoming operational. Any chance of it opening earlier? It wouldn't surprise me to see it up and running by October. Afterall would be a good news story if it opens 'ahead of schedule'.

Unlikely before November at least, it will take them months to test trams and of course of the idiots in car's to get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Unlikely before November at least, it will take them months to test trams and of course of the idiots in car's to get used to it.

Some idiots in cars around Queen Street/Benburb Street still not used to the Red Line despite it being there 13 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

ongarboy wrote: »
    Some idiots in cars around Queen Street/Benburb Street still not used to the Red Line despite it being there 13 years.

Well, 12 penalty points for colliding with a tram might change attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Id say they are reluctant to tie themselves down to it opening ahead ahead of schedule at this point, for several reasons. Unexpected delays and disappointment if date gets delayed, you can imagine the moron media if the date was brought forward and then put back "luas cross city opening delayed"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Under promise, over deliver. . . .

Let's keep our fingers crosssed for early November.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Middle Man wrote: »
    Well, 12 penalty points for colliding with a tram might change attitudes.
    3 words: red. light. cameras.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I notice the new trams aren't expected to be delivered until October, so that would rule out any early opening until November I'd imagine.

do the current green and red line not have enough trams in reserve? would it be a big deal if peak time frequency was reduced by say 20%, would that be preferable to getting the line up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I notice the new trams aren't expected to be delivered until October, so that would rule out any early opening until November I'd imagine.

It's not going to happen before November anyway, all drivers won't be finished training before September/October.
    do the current green and red line not have enough trams in reserve? would it be a big deal if peak time frequency was reduced by say 20%, would that be preferable to getting the line up and running?

It would be a big deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I can only assume that clearly you don't use the LUAS as it is?

There is no way you could reduce capacity during the Autumn/Winter. It is jammed at peak times.

The extended service will start either in late November or early December - people are just going to have to be patient.

• Advertisement

I can only assume that clearly you don't use the LUAS as it is?

There is no way you could reduce capacity during the Autumn/Winter. It is jammed at peak times.

The extended service will start either in late November or early December - people are just going to have to be patient.

generally I dont use it at peak times, although I have the odd time, obviously its a joke! I wasnt advocating that they do it, I was asking if its better than having LCC idle, while we wait for the new trams?

also green line platforms are currently being extended. Will the existing trams be lengthened any time soon?

Another question, they are wedged at peak times. Could they not take out an area of seating for standing only?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

When I'm in Dublin I take the Luas to go to meetings a few times a week; in the last 2 months, I can count the number of times at various hours of the day that it hasn't been fairly full if not crammed.

I'm thinking maybe 11am-ish is fairly quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Idbatterim wrote: »
    generally I dont use it at peak times, although I have the odd time, obviously its a joke! I wasnt advocating that they do it, I was asking if its better than having LCC idle, while we wait for the new trams?

also green line platforms are currently being extended. Will the existing trams be lengthened any time soon?

Another question, they are wedged at peak times. Could they not take out an area of seating for standing only?

Let's not get carried away here.

The capacity is just about right at present for the current loadings - I was merely responding to your suggestion of cutting capacity which would not be an option. There is no point in opening the extension until everything is in place.

As far as I'm aware the existing Green Line trams will all be extended in length as part of the project.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

ongarboy wrote: »

I still remember when a popcorn truck or something had collided there a few minutes before I walked past, the damage to the truck was unbelievable. Front of the luas was smashed up too.

When I'm in Dublin I take the Luas to go to meetings a few times a week; in the last 2 months, I can count the number of times at various hours of the day that it hasn't been fairly full if not crammed.

I'm thinking maybe 11am-ish is fairly quiet?

Hopefully the 25% capacity increase on the way will help, though tbh I'd imagine that getting used up pretty fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

spacetweek wrote: »
    I still remember when a popcorn truck or something had collided there a few minutes before I walked past, the damage to the truck was unbelievable. Front of the luas was smashed up too.

It happens far too often. There should be red light enforcement cameras at every junction with the luas tracks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

marno21 wrote: »

I really have go on a frantic search for biggest violin I can find. Bloody hell I thought students saw the bigger picture. Well there you go I learned that students actually in TCD. Well there's a first anyway.

What dullness has student life become if they're trying to sleep at night anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭riadach

MJohnston wrote: »
    What dullness has student life become if they're trying to sleep at night anyway?

Screams from those Viking tours are enough to keep them awake anyway.

Advertisement