Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE APP

• 22-06-2010 8:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28

The RTE app does not appear to be functioning fully with ios 4 software. How long will it take to get this sorted?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Noticed this myself last night - can't switch from the News tab to any of the other tabs without the app crashing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 gyraterosboy

Sent an email to RTE Techs in the last few minutes. Hope this can be sorted ASAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Yep got same - rebooted phone, reinstalled app - same. Come on RTE, sort it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Not really fair to put the blame fully on RTE. They have designed app to work with 3.0 and up to 3.1.3 . The fact that Apple didn't make 4.0 fully backward compatible is not RTE problem but sloppy coding and testing by Apple.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Not really fair to put the blame fully on RTE. They have designed app to work with 3.0 and up to 3.1.3 . The fact that Apple didn't make 4.0 fully backward compatible is not RTE problem but sloppy coding and testing by Apple.

I would have thought is RTE's responsibilty to get it working with iOS4, not Apple's. Do you really think that Apple are going to check 200,000 apps to see if they work? iOS4 has been with developers quite a while to get their software right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's not really fair to say either. The RTE devs may have used functions/features which were notified to be disabled in iOS4.

It's impossible for an OS creator to ensure 100% backwards compatibility due to the volume of applications out there. Any responsible developer will check their applications on the new OS and issue updates if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

This is a major failing of Apple if older apps won't run seamlessly on the new OS4. The new OS is supposed to deliver new functionality not render apps that people are already using semi-functional.

Whiterebel - most companies will use an external developer. I don't think anybody with an app would have expected to have to go back and pay again to make sure their app functions with the new OS.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I would have thought is RTE's responsibilty to get it working with iOS4, not Apple's. Do you really think that Apple are going to check 200,000 apps to see if they work? iOS4 has been with developers quite a while to get their software right.

All I'm saying if code is meant to be but its not backward compatible its not RTE's issue.

Early adopters are guinea pigs and they are doing all the testing for them. Cheap and beneficial both to Apple and RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

BrianD wrote: »
    This is a major failing of Apple if older apps won't run seamlessly on the new OS4. The new OS is supposed to deliver new functionality not render apps that people are already using semi-functional.

Whiterebel - most companies will use an external developer. I don't think anybody with an app would have expected to have to go back and pay again to make sure their app functions with the new OS.

That's a load of claptrap. Should we expect Windows 3.1 software to work on Windows 7? It's more than likely one API has been changed and it's a minor fix, but RTE didn't have the cop on to do testing with it. Devs have had access to 4.0 for the past 2 or 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

All I'm saying if code is meant to be but its not backward compatible its not RTE's issue.

Early adopters are guinea pigs and they are doing all the testing for them. Cheap and beneficial both to Apple and RTE.

Lads ye really haven't a clue.

The responsibility lies solely on RTE to get the app running on the 4.0 software not Apple. Currently the app is built against a 3.X release so if it is calling APIs that are not present or different in the 4.0 release then RTE have to fix it.

It is Apple's responsibility to continually move the platform forward and this requires depreciating some old APIs and replacing them with new ones on occasion. The same thing goes when Microsoft release a new OS, some old apps won't work properly because the developer needs to make some changes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I don't know about paying, but I'm sure most developers would know there will have to be work to be done to get their apps working optimally with a new OS. I can just see Bill Gates fretting to make sure Windows works with all the old programmes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Lads ye really haven't a clue.

The responsibility lies solely on RTE to get the app running on the 4.0 software not Apple. Currently the app is built against a 3.X release so if it is calling APIs that are not present or different in the 4.0 release then RTE have to fix it.

It is Apple's responsibility to continually move the platform forward and this requires depreciating some old APIs and replacing them with new ones on occasion. The same thing goes when Microsoft release a new OS, some old apps won't work properly because the developer needs to make some changes.

I have to agree. Its up to the developer to make sure there App runs within a Framework. As for a fix, I'd say 6 weeks and we should see a significant improvement in App's.

It just goes to show that Apple's focus is more on their technolgy then their customers - be they phone users or thoe who develop apps.

OS4 doesn't seem to me a brand new OS, it's a development of the previous OS. The logically progression would have to have old apps functioning on OS4 and allow new build apps take advantage of the new feature.

Apple will still advertise that there is x hundred thousand apps availble in the app store, are there? There are many companies who would have thought that apps would function for more than a year. It's a bit different to likening it to a Microsoft OS change, there are 100's of companies who have developed apps who would never have got into a developing a piece of bespoke software for their company.

It just goes to show that Apple's focus is more on their technolgy then their customers - be they phone users or thoe who develop apps.

OS4 doesn't seem to me a brand new OS, it's a development of the previous OS. The logically progression would have to have old apps functioning on OS4 and allow new build apps take advantage of the new feature.

Apple will still advertise that there is x hundred thousand apps availble in the app store, are there? There are many companies who would have thought that apps would function for more than a year. It's a bit different to likening it to a Microsoft OS change, there are 100's of companies who have developed apps who would never have got into a developing a piece of bespoke software for their company.

Wrong. Apple is focusing both on their technology and their customers.

Yes, OS 4 is an update from OS 3. Speaking as a developer though it is MY job to make sure MY apps work on Apple's platform, not Apple's job to make sure my app works on theirs. It doesn't work like that.

How is it not different to a Microsoft OS change? It is the exact same thing. The software is updated, stuff that Apple has no input in developing doesn't work anymore. Happens everytime. Its up to the maker of the app to update it to work on the new platform. RTE, or whoever makes their apps would of had a beta version of OS 4 for weeks now. They had plenty of time to get the app in shape for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

RTE will work on it. They will set up a committee, send a delegation all expenses paid to Apple HQ in Cupertino, California (including a visit to Disneyland) They will report back to the committee who will then decide how to outsource the work to an English IT company and in about six months time it will be sorted!

jpfahy wrote: »
    RTE will work on it. They will set up a committee, send a delegation all expenses paid to Apple HQ in Cupertino, California (including a visit to Disneyland) They will report back to the committee who will then decide how to outsource the work to an English IT company and in about six months time it will be sorted!

All expenses approved by FAS and John O'Donoghue......;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,087 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Apple have been releasing Betas of iOS4 since June 7th precisely for developers to make sure their Apps worked with the upgrade, and to fix them if appropriate. It's entirely up to developers to make sure their apps work on any given platform, and iOS4 is no different. Updates to Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Android etc. etc. break third party apps all the time. Nothing to do with slopy coding or testing by Apple.
    BrianD wrote:
    most companies will use an external developer. I don't think anybody with an app would have expected to have to go back and pay again to make sure their app functions with the new OS.

RTE, and anyone else commissioning third party developers to write apps for them, should have a maintenance agreement with whoever wrote the app to cover such eventualities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

It's not just RTE. The Sky Mobile TV app doesn't work either. At least they send out an email warning, but then again it costs €7 a month so it's the least you'd expect.

Wrong. Apple is focusing both on their technology and their customers.

Yes, OS 4 is an update from OS 3. Speaking as a developer though it is MY job to make sure MY apps work on Apple's platform, not Apple's job to make sure my app works on theirs. It doesn't work like that.

How is it not different to a Microsoft OS change? It is the exact same thing. The software is updated, stuff that Apple has no input in developing doesn't work anymore. Happens everytime. Its up to the maker of the app to update it to work on the new platform. RTE, or whoever makes their apps would of had a beta version of OS 4 for weeks now. They had plenty of time to get the app in shape for it.

Apple are a corporation for the benefit of the shareholders. It seems obvious to me that Apples customers are very much second class citizens. Apple tells you what you are getting and there doesn't seem to be much listening.

Getting back to the topic. In the ideal world app developers would update their apps but the Apple apps scenario is different to other software situations.

There are 1000's of apps for many different companies who by and large are made by third party developers. Most are one off developments and probably at a low price and provided free of charge to the end user. There isn't an environment that is conducive to making sure that apps are updated in line with OS.

It would be a customer expectation and that of somebody who has commissioned an app that it would continue to function on later versions of the OS.

In fairness, June 7th is f**k all time to allow developers to ensure that their apps are functioning. Again an example of the Apple arrogance when it comes to its customers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

In fairness, June 7th is f**k all time to allow developers to ensure that their apps are functioning. Again an example of the Apple arrogance when it comes to its customers.
    I fail to see the arrogance involved in offering their customers a free, optional upgrade to their OS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

jakdublin wrote: »
    It's not just RTE. The Sky Mobile TV app doesn't work either. At least they send out an email warning, but then again it costs €7 a month so it's the least you'd expect.

You can still get the RTE NEWS
    open RTE RADIO APP stop radio and go into NEWS
    Every thing is there and more.

Getting back to the topic. In the ideal world app developers would update their apps but the Apple apps scenario is different to other software situations.

There are 1000's of apps for many different companies who by and large are made by third party developers. Most are one off developments and probably at a low price and provided free of charge to the end user. There isn't an environment that is conducive to making sure that apps are updated in line with OS.

The only difference between the more traditional forms of software distribution and Apple's AppStore is the review process which is for the benefit of YOU, the customer. Apple checks the apps against certain tests. One of them is does the app crash? RTE's app is built against the 3.X operating system. Apple tested it when it was submitted against that version and it worked fine. You are using it on the 4.0 operating system. You are using the app on a version of the operating system it was not built for. It is up to RTE to get the app working on 4.0, Apple will take a look at the new update and approve it and you will be happy. Apple can't go and test every single app (200,000+) every time they release a new small or big update to the operating system. It would be crazy.
    It would be a customer expectation and that of somebody who has commissioned an app that it would continue to function on later versions of the OS.

Yes, and that is why when commissioning apps they're are contracts involved which incorporate things like updating the app for new versions of the OS. These contracts are between the commissioner of the app and the developer of the app. Apple doesn't come into it.

Are you an iPhone app developer? How do you know that isn't enough time to test their apps and make necessary updates? All my apps are working and many of them had updates for 4.0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

it works fine for me the last two days no issues on 4.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

App developers have had a lot longer than since June 7th to test OS4 with their apps, although the OS was in a beta state up to then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

whiterebel wrote: »
    I don't know about paying, but I'm sure most developers would know there will have to be work to be done to get their apps working optimally with a new OS. I can just see Bill Gates fretting to make sure Windows works with all the old programmes

Windows 3.1 through Windows ME were built on a Dos shell and all OSes were backwards compatible.

Bill Gates fretted about old programmes working when they moved to NT-based systems so much that he implemented a command prompt instead of dos and a compatibility mode for applications in Win2k, WinXP, Vista and 7 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 gyraterosboy

Just found out that RTE have submitted a compatible IOS4 version to Apple. Probably being tested at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Just found out that RTE have submitted a compatible IOS4 version to Apple. Probably being tested at the moment.

How? :)

Ricky91t wrote: »
    How? :)

Go to AppStore, go to RTE News app and read bellow ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I have to say, who ever develops the rte news app is pretty sloppy.

most every other dev can update their apps rte seem to need to release a new app every time they update it.

Like from the original wifi only one, they updated to use 3G but had to release a new app. Now they are going to release a new one to work on 4.0.

Why can't they just update the current one instead of creating a new one?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

mad muffin wrote: »
    I have to say, who ever develops the rte news app is pretty sloppy.

most every other dev can update their apps rte seem to need to release a new app every time they update it.

Like from the original wifi only one, they updated to use 3G but had to release a new app. Now they are going to release a new one to work on 4.0.

Why can't they just update the current one instead of creating a new one?:confused:

Well perhaps that's what they are doing.

Advertisement