Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE APP

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Well perhaps that's what they are doing.

No. according to their app page they are working on a new app.

It says, "We submitted an updated application Apple to support iOS4"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

mad muffin wrote: »
    I have to say, who ever develops the rte news app is pretty sloppy.

most every other dev can update their apps rte seem to need to release a new app every time they update it.

Like from the original wifi only one, they updated to use 3G but had to release a new app. Now they are going to release a new one to work on 4.0.

Why can't they just update the current one instead of creating a new one?:confused:

No. according to their app page they are working on a new app.

It says, "We submitted an updated application Apple to support iOS4"

From your own reference RTE have said that they are updating the current app. No reference to a new app. They are submitting the updated app to Apple as they are required to do so. You are getting precisely what you want. :confused:

From your own reference RTE have said that they are updating the current app. No reference to a new app. They are submitting the updated app to Apple as they are required to do so. You are getting precisely what you want. :confused:

It says we submitted an updated application, not an update for the application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Even a minor change to an app can require it to be resubmitted to Apple. Apparently, they are innundated with apps that have been resubmitted with fixes or improvements to take account of OS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The only difference between the more traditional forms of software distribution and Apple's AppStore is the review process which is for the benefit of YOU, the customer.

Not necessarily, its for their benefit in allowing them to control what the end user gets.
    Apple checks the apps against certain tests. One of them is does the app crash? RTE's app is built against the 3.X operating system. Apple tested it when it was submitted against that version and it worked fine. You are using it on the 4.0 operating system. You are using the app on a version of the operating system it was not built for. It is up to RTE to get the app working on 4.0, Apple will take a look at the new update and approve it and you will be happy. Apple can't go and test every single app (200,000+) every time they release a new small or big update to the operating system. It would be crazy.

My XP has had numerous updates. My software still works. I wouldn't expect Apple to test every app - though apparently they do review each app.
    Yes, and that is why when commissioning apps they're are contracts involved which incorporate things like updating the app for new versions of the OS. These contracts are between the commissioner of the app and the developer of the app. Apple doesn't come into it.

There are zillions of app developers out there now. Good quality developers who work in a regulated environment down to the hobby developers who have no idea about best practice. i would say that there are 100o's of apps just built and handed over and that's that. There are probably many companies who are oblivious to the fact that there apps don't function correctly.

Are you an iPhone app developer? How do you know that isn't enough time to test their apps and make necessary updates? All my apps are working and many of them had updates for 4.0.
    I do know it's not enough time. Hence the backlog of apps to be updated. This should not be happening. There should have been seamless transition to the new OS. Apps working on Os3 should work on OS4 without problem, apps developed for OS4 should offer the user better experiences.

There are plenty of iPhone users who do not know how apps function. If they experience a problem, they try re-installing to fix the problem. Failing that they'll just delete it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Panic over. Update to RTE app available in ITunes Store this morning. Just updated mine, works fine now.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Panic over. Update to RTE app available in ITunes Store this morning. Just updated mine, works fine now.

Hehe, RTE made a liar out of me :o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

They have also updated the RTE news app too. Downloading now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

phill106 wrote: »
    They have also updated the RTE news app too. Downloading now.

That's the one i was on about mate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

With a template to work on, can it really be that difficult to release an RTÉ Raidió Na Gaeltachta app or even better, release one app with all of their stations in it, just as Radio France have done with all 8 of their stations housed in one elegant app?

Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Mr Velo wrote: »
    That's the one i was on about mate :)

Woops meant the rte 2fm app!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Hmm, still no updates available for me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Suggestion in app review says to delete and then re-download the RTE news app. Now works for me.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I have to say, who ever develops the rte news app is pretty sloppy.

most every other dev can update their apps rte seem to need to release a new app every time they update it.

Like from the original wifi only one, they updated to use 3G but had to release a new app. Now they are going to release a new one to work on 4.0.

Why can't they just update the current one instead of creating a new one?:confused:

If you change the name of the Application, or the name of the company responsible for the application, then you have to submit it as a new application, not as an update for the existing application. This is part of the App Store 'rules'.

The first major update for the application changed it from "RTE News Now" to "RTE News Now 3G" that's why it started appearing as a new application.

(In fairness, that was confusing because I thought that it was a version of the same app for connecting over 3G, so didn't download it as I had the 'wi-fi' version . My own misunderstanding. :o)

They released an update for this new "RTÉ News Now 3G" to include support for iOS4, it came as an update for the app only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Eirtext Pro is also updated to iOS4 now.

WOOO

edit: But keeps crashing on me. Won't get passed the "updated address book" stage, just returns to home screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Eirtext Pro is also updated to iOS4 now.

WOOO

edit: But keeps crashing on me. Won't get passed the "updated address book" stage, just returns to home screen.
    I know it's slightly off the RTÉ app thread, but I have the same issue.

Here's a tip to get it working that I discovered. If you bring up the multitasking bar, Eirtext Pro is still running down there. Where you start it from there it opens up properly and you can use it to your hearts content.

I'm sure Vinny is working on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Me too:confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

culabula wrote: »
    With a template to work on, can it really be that difficult to release an RTÉ Raidió Na Gaeltachta app or even better, release one app with all of their stations in it, just as Radio France have done with all 8 of their stations housed in one elegant app?

Simples.

I hear such an app will be availble in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

copacetic wrote: »
    I hear such an app will be availble in the next couple of months.

Great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HicksLennon

I have re downloaded the app for the second time and still no joy. It refreshed itself just after I downloaded the app at first but remains stagnant thereafter. V annoying... It seemed to work perfectly a couple of weeks ago and then stopped refreshing all of a sudden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I have re downloaded the app for the second time and still no joy. It refreshed itself just after I downloaded the app at first but remains stagnant thereafter. V annoying... It seemed to work perfectly a couple of weeks ago and then stopped refreshing all of a sudden.

Are you using the Pocket Player or the Radio Player app?

EDIT: Just noticed this thread is two years old!

Advertisement