Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wind advice for Malin to Mizen cycle

• 22-06-2010 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hello folks

I was planning on cycling the length of Ireland in September, and had it in my head that I'd go from north to south. However, it occured to me that, given that the prevailing wind is south-westerly, I might be better off going from Cork northwards.

Has anyone done that cycle, or even cycled part of the west coast? Will the wind make that much of a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

irol wrote: »
    Has anyone done that cycle, or even cycled part of the west coast? Will the wind make that much of a difference?

The perceived wisdom is to cycle from South to North as you'll benefit from a tail wind due to the prevailing south westerly winds.

I cycled the four compass points last September, East, North, West, South, so effectively did North to South. We did it that way as it simply suited us better to end in Co. Cork, rather than Co. Down.

I don't think we were particularly hampered by the wind direction.

From my experience on other trips, it's always a headwind! Even on a quick out and back day trip!

If it's just as convenient for you to go, South- North as North- South, then maybe there's some chance of a benefit. However, I'd only do so based on all other factors being equal. If that makes sense?

DFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

Ive done it both ways on numerous occasions.

More often than not the wind wasnt a factor. Personally i prefer starting in Malin and Finishing in Mizen. There seems to be more significance in it for me that way, maybe the 100 steps and the lighthouse just make it feel like more of a tip of the country.
    Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 42 irol

Thanks folks. I think that it would probably suit me slightly better going from north to south, so I may as well stick with that so.

Would you have any general advice for the trip so? I'm thinking my route might be something like Malin-Bundoran/Sligo-somewhere in Mayo-Galway-Limerick-Tralee-south Cork-Mizen, but it's completely open to change. The only places I definitely want to be are Galway and Limerick. Are there any parts on the way to definitely avoid?

Did Malin - Bundoran - Carrowkennedy (near Westport) - Galway - Lahinch - Tralee - Glengariff - Mizen last year. I'd recommend getting the Tarbet ferry if possible, and also spreading out Malin - Westport/Mayo over 3 days, or at very least not sticking to the main roads like we did. Quick, but a depressing start for the first two days. Though the Barnsmore Gap in Donegal was pretty cool.

Didn't notice too much in the way of wind overall, though from near Carraroe to Galway the wind carried us at a nice average speed of over 40 km/hr which was great!

My thread from last year with pics is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055621801&

If you're heading to Malin from Dublin by public transport, I'd recommend going with John McGinley coaches, they bring you to the Inishowen peninsula and you're almost there.

Thanks Dónal, I actually had a read of your thread a month or two ago. I guess I'll get that bus up on the Saturday and maybe just loop up to Malin Head and back down a bit that afternoon, and head off properly the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I recently ran it (and headwinds are much less a problem running) so can't advise you there but just one thing, the lighthouse in Mizen is closed at the moment (the bridge is demolished and the gantry held together my scaffolding) so if you're a purist wanting to go from lighthouse to crown you might want to check that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have done a fair bit of cycling around the country including N-S routes like Dublin-Cork, Dublin-Waterford, Galway-Kerry several times. I have also gone the other direction. The prevailing wind is most assuredly from the south and it makes a BIG difference. You could be lucky and have no wind but on the balance of probabilities it will be substantially easier to start from the south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I recently ran it
    Was that you they were talking about in the other threads?

and World record attempt etc|????
    An Irishwoman hopes to complete the equivalent of nearly three marathons a day and set a Guinness World Record by running from Malin Head to Mizen Head in five days and raise €70,000 for the Irish Carers Association in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

That's her.

@Hunnymonster, congratulations on your run. Seriously impressed by your dedication. Did the camper van get repaired and all?

blorg wrote: »
    I have done a fair bit of cycling around the country including N-S routes like Dublin-Cork, Dublin-Waterford, Galway-Kerry several times. I have also gone the other direction. The prevailing wind is most assuredly from the south and it makes a BIG difference. You could be lucky and have no wind but on the balance of probabilities it will be substantially easier to start from the south.

Hmmm I'm really unsure now. I know from just cycling around Dublin city that even a moderate wind can take so much enjoyment out of the trip if you're cycling into it; I can imagine it being much worse in the mountains. On the other hand, it does suit me a little better to go north-south. Arrgh.

Hunnymonster, that's an amazing achievement, well done. To be honest, I didn't know what would be there to greet me in Mizen. I take it there is no other way to the lighthouse so? If that's the way it is, then fair enough though it is a bit of a shame if it's closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Don't worry about headwinds. On any given day the local wind can be for you or against you. Get out and do the cycle. You will love it. I did Mizen to Malin a few weeks ago. On the last stage, Bundoran to Malin, we had a headwind for the entire 150km. Sure, it wasn't as easy as it might have been, but if you are worried about headwinds, cycling is the wrong sport for you.

We picked our direction based on how easy it was for us to get back to Dublin once we had finished.

Raam wrote: »
    Don't worry about headwinds. On any given day the local wind can be for you or against you. Get out and do the cycle. You will love it. I did Mizen to Malin a few weeks ago. On the last stage, Bundoran to Malin, we had a headwind for the entire 150km. Sure, it wasn't as easy as it might have been, but if you are worried about headwinds, cycling is the wrong sport for you.

We picked our direction based on how easy it was for us to get back to Dublin once we had finished.
    Big +1.

True words Raam; I may as well stick with my original plan so. I'd be more annoyed if I changed and then had headwinds the whole way.

I can't wait to do it now..

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭superrdave

blorg wrote: »

I'd definitely agree with this. Done Mizen-Malin twice and both times south to north. Wind was only a negative factor in Donegal (on both occasions we had headwinds from Bundoran to Malin) but otherwise the wind was behind us. If you can leave it very late to decide, you could base it on the weather forecasts but that is obviously very last minute. Anyway, I would advise South to North. It will take you slightly longer to get back to Dublin once you're done, but so be it. Maybe one hour more.

In terms of route advice, unless you really want to go for it time wise, I would advise avoiding Limerick city altogether and getting the Tarbert - Killimer ferry from North Kerry to South Clare. It's a pretty scenic part of the country you would otherwise miss with slightly quieter roads. It may be ever so slightly longer but it is certainly worth the detour.

I have friends in Limerick which is why I was looking at going there; I do like the sound of the ferry though (I was on it a few years ago with the car). No doubt I'll change my mind a hundred times about everything before I go. Thanks for all the advice though folks, any more is welcome.

I have friends in Limerick which is why I was looking at going there; I do like the sound of the ferry though (I was on it a few years ago with the car). No doubt I'll change my mind a hundred times about everything before I go. Thanks for all the advice though folks, any more is welcome.
    Planning is half the fun. Wait until you have to decide what you're going to pack! ;)

DFD.

Yes, route planning is great fun. I took a route fairly similar to this last year.

I'd say your key routeplanning points are as follows:

1) Avoid National Roads wherever possible (especially the main ones, like the n17 and n18)

2) Don't take bypasses, go through the towns and villages.

3) Avoid Limerick and take the boat. The scenary is far better and the roads are much quieter.

4) Remember the fiercest hills are in Kerry (the ones in Donegal are not inconsiderable, but not as long or steep as those in Kerry) and imagine facing those after three or four long days in the saddle.

5) Make sure you know how long you are capable of cycling each day and the day after. Use this to determine accommodation. My route was in large part determined by the location of campsites (Banna Strand, Doolin, Cong, Bundoran).

superrdave, do you suggest avoiding national roads because of the extra traffic, or because the scenery isn't as nice, or both?

I like the look of your route. I'm thinking of staying in B&Bs when I'm not staying with friends so that makes things a lot easier for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭grizzly_beer

I'd just like to mention that there is a Mizen to Malin organised every year, anyone is free to come along, there is a van available for gear. It takes a week, about 110 km per day, so taking it fairly handy and enjoying the sights along the way. The next one is on in 2 weeks! so fairly short notice, but just thought you guys might be interested.
    http://www.burmaactionireland.org/freedomcycle2010.html

M2M_thumb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Raam wrote: »
    I did Mizen to Malin a few weeks ago. On the last stage, Bundoran to Malin, we had a headwind for the entire 150km.

Funny I did the same trip with raam and all I remember is you hiding from the wind and saying you were the team leader.....

• Advertisement

superrdave, do you suggest avoiding national roads because of the extra traffic, or because the scenery isn't as nice, or both?

I like the look of your route. I'm thinking of staying in B&Bs when I'm not staying with friends so that makes things a lot easier for me.

Both reasons, effectively. Plenty of B&Bs along the way too no matter what route you take. Though you are probably better making Bundoran your last stop. Not too sure on provision in Letterkenny or Ballybofey.

Another question folks - what's the best way to get to/from Mizen head? If, say, I wanted to start there, what's my best way to get near there from Dublin? (or obivously to go the other way if I end there)

Advertisement