Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practical School computer network

Options
  • 22-06-2010 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi All

hopefully someone can give me some advice re the setup of the computer network infrastructure for a new 16 class primary school.

I understand computer networks and most of the parts that go with them.

So what I am really looking for advice on the number of network points, power points in each classroom, in the library, the staff room, etc.

I have read the documents from the NCTE but I would prefer if there is someone out there who would give me the benifit of their practical experience.

I note that in primary schools that the NCTE do not suggest having a computer room. Is this practical.

If you need more information please ask.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Paddyo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hey Paddy,

Usually where computers are located is determined by the principle and the actual space available. I wouldnt follow any rules on this kind of thing. The only guidlines that we use is each desk or area where there would be a pc would have a minimum of 2 points but up to 4. This is usually for businesses though. My personal opinion is Id rather have it than be looking for it. So on that note Id run 2 points to each.

Power points would be a similar thing, a 2 gang socket per desk area or PC area would be the norm. These dockets would go back to a clean supply on its own MCB seperate from other standard sockets.

As your probably aware already and I dont mean to be stating the obvious but the cabling would all consolidate centrally, be terminated correctly and at a minimun be tested and qualified but ideally certified. The cable runs can not be more than 90m and if using Cat6 be careful how the cable is laid. Other than that if you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Thanks for your reply FunsionNet

This is a new build school and just want to get it correct form the start. I am on the baord of the school and have a lot of input into the decisions re the system.

Like you FusionNet, I understand the number of points per workstation and cat5e/Cat6 cabling in a business environment.

Does anyone have experience in a primary school environment - i.e. the number of computers/ workstaion points which is normal in a classroom? Has a phone point been put into each classroom?

Many thanks
    Paddyo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Hi Paddy,

I've designed electrical services for a couple of schools, and what I usually do is base requirements on the DoE brief (TGD-002 I think...http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/pbu_technical_guidance_documents.htm) and then build up from there to what the school want

For data points, the usual is 2 no. per classroom, near the teacher's desk location, and maybe another 2 if you are going to have a location where students will have their own pc. It may also be worthwhile to consider projector whiteboards - they are usually daisychained from the teacher's pc, but I think there are some that have a built in PC which could proably benefit from a datapoint.

You'd want approx. 4 no. per admin / principal's desk by the time you factor in PCs, phones, fax machines & a shared printer (for everyone in the school to print to - well worth your while going down this route in lieu of individual printers that cost a fortune on ink). Will you need CCTV - it will need a datapoint also.

For the teachers' room - usually 2 in the corner are a good idea incase you put a PC there for lunch time access. Maybe a datapoint in the ceiling somewhere central also incase teachers want to use laptops...

It would be a good idea to leave a datapoint in your boilerhouse (for BMS controls) & near your intruder alarm / fire alarm panel - for monitoring.

One thing that a school I was involved with a few years ago did was ignore the PA intercom system, and wall mount speaker phones (standard business telephones) in each classroom - much easier for teachers to talkback to the principal... I think this is a far better system than the intercom with talkback, as the phone system can provide the intercom functionality, in addition to functioning as a telephone system. The only problem is costs for phone systems can't form part of the main building contract - the school has to appoint a supplier direct to them...so you'd need to budget say €6k-€7k

All the datapoints should be brought back to a central patch panel location, to which you should also bring the incoming telephony copper from eircom, and if you;re getting broadband by fixed wireless - the coaxial cable from the roof for broadband.

For the computer room query, I wouldn;t know why not to fit one (maybe to avoid the expense, or to encourage computing to be part of the normal classroom flow?) but if you need to add computers into a classroom later, you can use a cheap device called a switch to have a couple of computers being served from one datapoint - its not ideal but school budgets are damn tight!

For power - the DoE spec calls for 2 no. twin sockets per classroom, in opposing corners - so one at the teachers location, and another for say a portable TV, or a students PC...

Just to mention on from a point FusionNet made if the piece of equipment is portable (i.e. can be plugged in and out through a standard socket) or in contact with water (immersion heater) you must provide RCBO protection (the electrical device that trips easily if it detects earth leakage, or overcurrent). MCBs (which only provide overcurrent protection) are usually to lighting circuits, or fixed appliances with individual circuits (the whiteboard projector would be one, or the intruder alarm)

Paddy - what are you doing RE lighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Hi Dardania

Thanks for you reply.

Some more info re the school.

It is a GRD (Generic Repeat Design) 16 classroom school. The department isthe client and not the board of the school.

We have not seen the wiring diagrams for the school yet, but hope to have sight of them next week.

We have looked at other GRD schools and the cabling falls short of what we will require and I just want to have as many ideas as possible so that we dont have to fit anything retrospectively.

Hopefully we will be able to add to the standard setup.

I will take on board the tipes re the intercom system also. I would prefer the phone system also. There is nothing private about the talkback feature on those intercoms.

Datapoint in boiler house- I would never have thought of this.

Not sure what you mean about the lighting - because we are not the client, we have no input into the sub contractors to be used. If you want tp PM me I will give you the name of the main contractor.

Paddyo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

What I was going to suggest with the lighting was to make sure automatic daylight based lighting controls / with absence detection are used - will save you a fortune in the long run! The dept spec calls for it, but no harm to satisfy yourself how it's being done...

Also - if you have 16 classrooms, you're probably going to have a Building Management System. There are two ways these can be controlled - through a little fiddly screen with buttons that's reminiscent of the 1996 generation of mobile phones (read impossible to use) or you can ditch the screen/keypad altogether and request a web based controller to plug into your lan - far simpler for configuration etc. and usually a bit cheaper - https://pnet.trend-controls.com/trendproducts/cd/en/ecatdata/pg_iq3bacpointsel.htmll or http://www.tac.com/Navigate?node=9488 . These two are good - and use open protocols to make it easy to add to later

• Advertisement
Advertisement