Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle around Greytones...

Options
  • 22-06-2010 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, any cyclists on here?

Getting a new bike soon and trying to work out a decent (longish) route around Greystones starting and finishing in Redford but avoiding as many main roads as possible (don't want to either hold up traffic or be ran over...)

At the moment I am thinking cycling through redford, into rathdown, down through la touche park and round to the harbour, on to the south beach coming out at the council car park then cycling up towards charlesland. After that I am not sure.

If they ever finish the link road from redford to delgany I could cycle that to complete the loop but thats a long way off I reckon, if it ever gets done. I could come either back down through charlesland and back up towards killincarrig and on towards Tesco but there are some thin roads on that route where a cyclist will be a pain in the hole for any drivers.

Was also thinking of heading out towards killcoole but not 100% on what the road is like in that direction.

Any advise on good cycle runs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I started out doing this loop around greystones. The worst bit of road was up by Burnaby Heights, but they've just resurfaced it - otherwise the roads are ok-ish.

For something a bit longer - this is a pleasant spin, there's a few sharp hills around the back of Kilpedder but nothing too tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

loyatemu wrote: »
    I started out doing this loop around greystones. The worst bit of road was up by Burnaby Heights, but they've just resurfaced it - otherwise the roads are ok-ish.

For something a bit longer - this is a pleasant spin, there's a few sharp hills around the back of Kilpedder but nothing too tough.

holycrap that second seems very long! might be a while before I attempt that!

What are the roads like round kilpedder and that, or the road between killincarrig and tesco like to cycle (in terms of width and allowing cars past) - I'd be worried about getting shoved into the hedge coming along burnaby heights as it is very thin along there.

Cheers for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

holycrap that second seems very long! might be a while before I attempt that!

well yeah, if you haven't cycled in a while you should start out with shorter spins and build up the distance over time (10% increase a week is often suggested)
    What are the roads like round kilpedder and that, or the road between killincarrig and tesco like to cycle (in terms of width and allowing cars past) - I'd be worried about getting shoved into the hedge coming along burnaby heights as it is very thin along there.

the only roads in Greystones with decent cycle lanes are the Charlesland/Farrankelly Road and Mill Road. Everywhere else you're going to be sharing road space with cars. The main thing is to hold your line and not worry too much about following cars - they'll pass when they get a chance but if you move over too far to the left they'll take it as an invitation to squeeze past you. Plus the very edge of the road tends to be in worse condition.

If you're just getting used to bike for the first time, then the route you initially suggested (along the seafront and then up to Jackie Skellys and back the same way) is pretty well segregated. If you're feeling fit you can continue up the hill to the N11 - there's a cycle lane all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

This one is a nice spin that I went on a while back. Very enjoyable. Lot's of hills though. Starts and finishes in Charlesland but along back roads / cycle lane, so not much traffic at all.

There are some really cracking cycles that you can go on up towards the Wicklow Mountains and resovoirs etc if you can get a bike carrier for your car. This is one I went on about 2 weeks back. You can even stop in Glendalough and go hiking.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

this ride is great for when you get up to speed: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/greystones/772127237017931579

The road through kilcoole and newcastle is surprisingly quiet on weekend mornings... like another poster said, as long as you keep your line, cars will give you space...

• Advertisement
Advertisement