Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Mod Nomination's

• 22-06-2010 9:57am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We are looking for a new soccer mod and have decided to go to the forum and see who would be interested,we did this before and it went well.We will definitely be pulling at least 1 mod from this thread and the plan is to use this thread as a kind of panel that we will go back to if any future spots free up.

The way this will work is you put your name forward on this thread and the current soccer mods will discuss each name in private,you don't have to put a few words with your nomination but feel free to do it if you want.

The only requirement is that you are a regular user of the forum,and only nominate yourself we don't want this to become a big brother style popularity contest.

Dub13

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think its best if we only have posts from people nominating themselves,so only 1 post each lads.I don't want this thread to turn into a big epic one,remember we have to filter through it all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

sure, why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Doubt i'm eligible, due to a complete lack of posts.but wouldn't mind giving it a crack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Sure ill throw my name in, work is gone quiet so im lurking around here most of the day anyway

I'll throw my name in, should be on boards & the soccer forum as much as I used to so why not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Ill nominate me, because I am so great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'd give it a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd like to put myself forward as glorious leader soccer mod.

I'm already corrupted so no worrys about the power going to my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I can haz modship?*

* may be the worst decision if you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Sure why not for the laugh, tho I'll probably be running and hiding into a dark corner and crying for the rest of my days after 2 hours of being a mod!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

yeah g'wan Bill i'll go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Didn't read the OP fully....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I'll throw my name in the hat! post here regularly and im online near enough all feckin day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd be up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

I'd like to be considered for the role of Soccer Mod. I do have experience of being a Mod on a relatively small internet forum in America which is now pretty much deserted (Through no fault of my own :p) but it did peak at about 100 users while I was a Mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'd like to put my name forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

yep, add me to the list.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

How about me? I'm relatively new, I don't like English football and generally speaking I'm having attitude problems and come across like a know it all. Sounds perfect to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I lurk more than I post but would be happy to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Yeah, i wouldn't mind. Read alot of the threads on here and am online alot anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

me too... im an impartial lurker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Boskowski wrote: »
    How about me? I'm relatively new, I don't like English football and generally speaking I'm having attitude problems and come across like a know it all. Sounds perfect to me.

You've betrayed yourself with your sig :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'll throw my name into the hat, now that Leeds are making decent progress.

Frisbee wrote: »
    You've betrayed yourself with your sig :)

:) Agreed. By putting myself forward I disqualified myself.

Another question is what exactly is it that would be expected by a mod? Is there some sort of job description somewhere or could an existing mod provide a summary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

Another question is what exactly is it that would be expected by a mod? Is there some sort of job description somewhere or could an existing mod provide a summary?
    I'd say it's just checking through threads on the Soccer forum and making sure swearing/flaming etc. are kept to a minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

*pops name in hat*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A fair question, and I think I'm in a reasonable position to answer it having done the job for two and a half years.

Pros -
    - It's very rewarding to be part of such a diverse football forum and to give something back to the site.
    - You get to know a lot of the posters quite well, both on thread and in private.
    - The lads in the mod team are super.
    - You play an active part in the maintenance of the forum (merging threads, deleting posts etc).
    - You get to see all the juicy deleted posts ;)

Cons -
    - You have to read threads and wade through crap that you have less than zero interest in.
    - Have to deal with the backlash from those not happy with an infraction/ban (gotta love those abusive PMs).
    - There will always be someone moaning about you even if you've done right by the forum.
    - You find out just how impatient people are when something isn't done how they want it immediately.
    - You have to watch your Ps and Qs when posting because, as a mod, you're meant to know better.
    - It can be very time consuming.

Overall it's a good role but anyone putting their name down here should really ask themselves "Why do I want to do this?". If you can't sell it to yourself then you're wasting your time, and also that of the mods going through this list.

:)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I'll throw my name in, might have something to add although I'm haven't been here years. Will be here more often now, left a few other football forums lately, like the layout here.

I was banned yes, but I learned from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I love thankless jobs, throw my name in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'll put myself forward for this too.

Been around a few years now, and regularly post in / read the soccer forums.

And no, my nick-name does not mean I'm an Arsenal fan ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I'll throw my name in the hat. Thanks.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    A fair question, and I think I'm in a reasonable position to answer it having done the job for two and a half years.

What sort of effort would be expected? MUST BE ON DAILY? Or are you allowed the odd break? I mean I am online daily most of the time anyway but I still wouldn't want it to be a must.

Other than that sounds reasonable enough. Since I'm online a lot and love football and hang out here anyway since I discovered this forum I guess why not. If it doesn't work one can always go back to normal user right? Throw my name in the hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I wouldn't mind doing it.

I'm putting forward a nomination by proxy. I will PM the mods and tell them which user submitted this, but here's a screenshot just for the official record. For privacy reasons, I've scribbled out the name.

sglcao.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

haha..

Some of the people that have nominated themselves , have certainly given me a laugh :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Dancor wrote: »
    Ill nominate me, because I am so great.

Infact im so great ill put myself down twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd like the job. I lurk this forum a lot and post quite a bit too and I get the banter and seriousness of the place.

Reasons why I would make a good mod
    -I have a lot of spare time over the summer to moderate
    -I have a knowledge of football both domestically in the Airtricity League and the Top Flight of European football
    -I'm a neutral football fan (no particular love for any club just the game)
    -Alessandro Del Piero is my fave player ever
    -I have a good track record in the past year and a bit without any infractions
    -I can make important decisions without being afraid of making "friends" unhappy. I don't have any real contact with 99% of Soccer Forum posters.
    -I love Boards and feel like I should give back.

I hope that the mods make a good choice for the new mod. I am probably not the best candidate and I will not be upset if ye pick somebody more appropriate.

Thanks for the hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Archimedes wrote: »
    *pops name in hat*

Why did you delete your post from this morning saying you were interested and then put in another post basically saying the same thing again ? :confused:

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    Why did you delete your post from this morning saying you were interested and then put in another post basically saying the same thing again ? :confused:

Because.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

not nominating myself, but will the "thanks" system play any part in this?

was gonna put a thanks in (until his controversial follow-up post! :eek:)

Because.

:confused:

Did you delete the rest of that also ?

redout wrote: »
    :confused:

Did you delete the rest of that also ?

No.

Edit: Any further questions about every little thing I do that bothers you, feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

bw wrote: »
    not nominating myself, but will the "thanks" system play any part in this?

was gonna put a thanks in (until his controversial follow-up post! :eek:)

Perhpas it would. If a poster puts his/her name forward and regular posters agree that they'd bring something to the forum then I don't see why it shouldn't play some part in the selection process.

Also the fact that Dub is openly accepting nominations in the forum means that the "thanks" button can gauge popularity from a poster who puts their name forward which is never a bad thing considering if the poster is well liked, is a good poster and brings a lot to the forum etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

That_Guy wrote: »
    Perhpas it would. If a poster puts his/her name forward and regular posters agree that they'd bring something to the forum then I don't see why it shouldn't play some part in the selection process.

Also the fact that Dub is openly accepting nominations in the forum means that the "thanks" button can gauge popularity from a poster who puts their name forward which is never a bad thing considering if the poster is well liked, is a good poster and brings a lot to the forum etc.

It's not or never will be a popularity contest. The main criteria would be somebody who knows the charter, will moderate with their head and who's not going to be biased.

Being a moderator your never going to win a popularity contest. But if your passionate, if you have conviction, if you believe in what your moderating, the posters will sense that.

That_Guy wrote: »

Ya I agree, I've thanked the posts of who I feel would be a good mod for the forum now anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

I'd like to put my name forward for future selection when mods look through this thread in maybe 6 months or a year. I need to build up my portfolio of posts first and become a very active member. At the moment I'm still a bit of a lurker but i've really enjoyed being part of the the World cup draft and hopefully I'll be considered down the line.

No.

Edit: Any further questions about every little thing I do that bothers you, feel free to PM me.

I have no need to pm you as I already put my question to you.

I asked a legitimate question which you seem not to want to answer on the forum.

You posted this morning that you were interested then several hours later deleted your post and posted a new one basically saying the same thing once again - I thought it odd as you already had made your intentions known.

If you would rather answer it by pm then feel free to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Osu wrote: »
    It's not or never will be a popularity contest. The main criteria would be somebody who knows the charter, will moderate with their head and who's not going to be biased.

Being a moderator your never going to win a popularity contest. But if your passionate, if you have conviction, if you believe in what your moderating, the posters will sense that.

You forgot Pace, Movement and Desire!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement