Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Mod Nomination's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I second Ziggy :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

TheTosh wrote: »
    Start a poll with the most popular candidates and give it to whoever gets the most

Should be only based on looking at the posters past posts and
    especially how they've dealt with conflict with other poster.

I would hate to see a mod who in the past, has deliberately winded up
    or dismissed another posters opinion just cos they have a different
    opinion and no-one who has ever used that silly phrase "fail" or
    facepalm picture should ever be
    mod....:)

just what I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dub13 wrote: »
    Also it should be pointed out that the mod in question was american,so that would go some way to explaining that one.

careful_now.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Should be only based on looking at the posters past posts and
    especially how they've dealt with conflict with other poster.

I would hate to see a mod who in the past, has deliberately winded up
    or dismissed another posters opinion just cos they have a different
    opinion and no-one who has ever used that silly phrase "fail" or
    facepalm picture should ever be
    mod....:)

just what I think

Best post of the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It should be that guy

Agreed. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Ush1 wrote: »
    Best post of the thread.

Yeah I would go with that except for the "faceplam" and "fail" part.

Good post Fluffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That_Guy wrote: »
    Agreed. ;)
    The chance for comedy just with the name alone is worth making him mod. (E.g Poster 1: I hate that guy (at random player)
    Poster 2: Ya he's a mong
    that guy: :(
    Me and all SF: :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

lordgoat wrote: »
    You putting yourself forward Xav?

As he said, it's been 18 months. We dont need anymore lack of football knowledge related incidents.:)

The chance for comedy just with the name alone is worth making him mod. (E.g Poster 1: I hate that guy (at random player)
    Poster 2: Ya he's a mong
    that guy: :(
    Me and all SF: :) )

Believe me that's all I do on boards. Look for anything with "that guy" in a sentence and put a :( in a reply.

mmmm. Perhaps I should buy myself a life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Also it should be pointed out that the mod in question was american,so that would go some way to explaining that one.

and a good example of someone that should never have been modding here in the first place, something to keep in mind when getting a new mod in imo

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »
    and a good example of someone that should never have been modding here in the first place, something to keep in mind when getting a new mod in imo

A good example of a soccer forum user taking an unserious comment seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

A good example of a soccer forum user taking an unserious comment seriously.

but im not wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jazzy wrote: »
    archimedes is the only name that really stands out imo. hope he gets it :)

maybe also flaha :p
    I'd second this motion.

Question to a mod-

does the thanking of posts here hold any sway with the decision
    on who to appoint as mod???
    I'd imagine it doesn't as some thanks are obviously pointed at witty
    jokes etc, and not on the suitability of the poster to be mod..

Could that be cleared up if possible, thanks

Ps, I'm not going for modship, just interested in having my say about
    how and who is selected as mod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

No thanking a post will have no bearing at all in the selection process,it will manily be down to the users history on the fourm.Another thing to point out is we have to kick the name we select up to the admims for their opnion,so the users history site wide will also be something we take into account.

No thanking a post will have no bearing at all in the selection process,it will manily be down to the users history on the fourm.Another thing to point out is we have to kick the name we select up to the admims for their opnion,so the users history site wide will also be something we take into account.

I'm fooked so. ;)

Wrong thread sorry.

I'd like to nominate myself for the role of Soccer mod as I believe I would bring an almost Messi like balance to the forum.

YEAH RRRRRRRRRRRIIIGHT!

I'd like to nominate myself for the role of Soccer mod as I believe I would bring an almost Messi like balance to the forum.

YEAH RRRRRRRRRRRIIIGHT!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

redout wrote: »
    There was an incident about 18 months ago were myself and I think about 7/8 others were all banned over an incident in which there was a comment made in reference to a very well known footballing incident (involving an Irish player I think) and the mod who banned people had no knowledge of it and therefore didnt get it and pretty sure they admitted as much. Now in a situation like that it really did matter. There was a huge thread started on feedback over the incident. I would go along with what you said "Just because one has knowledge of football does not mean they would make a suitable mod for this forum" as in not everyone with knowledge is suitable but overall I certainly believe that you do need some interest and have some knowledge to avoid another incodent like the above.

I decided I had to have a look at the 'Incident' and it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. It's a pity I wasn't around then. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭campo

stick my name in sure huge Liverpool fan and football in general more active in the PW forum but do post here every now and again only if I have something relevant to say read a lot of it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

redout wrote: »
    There was an incident about 18 months ago were myself and I think about 7/8 others were all banned over an incident in which there was a comment made in reference to a very well known footballing incident (involving an Irish player I think) and the mod who banned people had no knowledge of it and therefore didnt get it and pretty sure they admitted as much. Now in a situation like that it really did matter. There was a huge thread started on feedback over the incident. I would go along with what you said "Just because one has knowledge of football does not mean they would make a suitable mod for this forum" as in not everyone with knowledge is suitable but overall I certainly believe that you do need some interest and have some knowledge to avoid another incodent like the above.
    link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Why on earth would someone want to be a mod?? Seriously??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

The feeling of undeserved authority. :p

Bouncer syndrome.
    Small penis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

link?

Search:

Username=redout
    Feedback

Then you should see the thread started by redout in Feedback.

Using the search function isn't hard, dude.

But since the USA won, here.

Osu wrote: »
    Search:

Username=redout
    Feedback

Then you should see the thread started by redout in Feedback.

Using the search function isn't hard, dude.

But since the USA won, here.
    Gentleman.

Gluten for punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Now thats how you do a feedback thread, good times.

I decided I had to have a look at the 'Incident' and it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. It's a pity I wasn't around then. :mad:
    link?

As far as I know its not possible to view the post in question as the mods removed it from the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,579 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You'd have to be mad to run this place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Spud83 wrote: »
    Now thats how you do a feedback thread, good times.

There have been some classics. We should really have all the links saved somewhere. In a shrine.

Right folks can we keep this thread on topic from now,I will leave it open for another day or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

on reading that feedback thread, i wish guanyin was still a mod. feisty little minx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

No thanking a post will have no bearing at all in the selection process

BULLSH*T.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

flahavaj wrote: »
    BULLSH*T.

there goes the vote for Flah and his comedic ramblings campaign... alas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

there goes the vote for Flah and his comedic ramblings campaign... alas

Regardless I am still the pick of the bunch.

They wouldn't the dare not give me the job now. The people have spoken. If anyone else gets the job it will be as pointless as David Beckham's current role sitting on the England subs bench in his Communion outfit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

The Villa thread is the biggest on the Soccer forum without a fulltime Soccer forum mod and many thread regulars are already experienced boards Mods. Give it to the experience over smart arse newbies tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The Villa thread is the biggest on the Soccer forum without a fulltime Soccer forum mod and many thread regulars are already experienced boards Mods. Give it to the experience over smart arse newbies tbh.

the idea of giving it to a poster based on who they support or where they post is (no offense my fellah Villan and good man) a real silly one. However there are a number of very good candidates who have modding experience that do post in that thread of whom i hope one or two put their name forward especially seing as it was mentioned that this thread could be used for future reference when looking to appoint a future mod and not just this time round.

but sure it seems the people have spoken and itl be the Flah so no need for any others to apply i guess ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

the idea of giving it to a poster based on who they support or where they post is (no offense my fellah Villan and good man) a real silly one. However there are a number of very good candidates who have modding experience that do post in that thread of whom i hope one or two put their name forward especially seing as it was mentioned that this thread could be used for future reference when looking to appoint a future mod and not just this time round.

but sure it seems the people have spoken and itl be the Flah so no need for any others to apply i guess ;)

It was just food for thought on my part. As i said experience of the arcane rules of boards and the ways of the SF is what its all about and there is plenty of it in the Villa thread. I hope the mods don't just consider peeps who have posted here and have a look at the peeps who have been round here for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I'll do it. I'm a Bohs fan myself but have an interest in all football.

Way to much chat going on here now,only post on this thread if you are nominating yourself.

Dub13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

i nominate myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Shur I might as well nominate myself:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Fierce amount of whoring round these parts lads.. With that said, if the flah doesnt get the gig, i wholeheartedly lend my support to D2d and wish to subscribe to his BWE newsletter.. *bang bang*

Lads I genuinely don't want to start giving out infractions on a mod nomination thread but the ice is very thin.

Lads I genuinely don't want to start giving out infractions on a mod nomination thread but the ice is very thin.

Please don't ban me or infract me but could I suggest that if we see a nom here that we want to discuss that we comment on it over in the off topic thread!!

*Keeps fingers crossed that she hasn't incurred an infraction*:):eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I am actually not nominating myself here. I have done it before and wild horses would not drag me back to it.

I'm posting some home truths for those considering going for this.

In my time on boards I have moderated some of the higher profile and higher traffic forums but at times Soccer was one of the biggest pain in the nads forums to moderate.

Be prepared to clean up messes, you have no real power. Infact these days the mods have even less power. You are a glorified janitor cleaning up messes and ensuring the forum discussions move along nicely.

Why do it then. Well its nice to give something back to the site especially if it has provided you with hours of entertainment. But be prepared for your interaction to change. For example if you support team A and are known to support team A and you ban someone who deserved it who supports team C be prepared for the "they only banned me because they support A!" rubbish. You could find that you don't interact as much in discussions (this is what happened with me when I modded, I read a lot but posted only on occasion) because people accuse you of mod bias etc.

Finally I don't accept the assertion that someone has to be a football expert to mod. As I said moderation is about keeping discussions flowing and not allowing them degenerate into personal insults or something that could have a nasty solicitors letter arriving at Daft headquarters. In fact someone who doesn't have their emotional well being tied directly to a team would be a welcome addition to the modding team.

Again if you want to mod because you think you will get power you will be sorely disappointed.

Please don't ban me or infract me but could I suggest that if we see a nom here that we want to discuss that we comment on it over in the off topic thread!!

*Keeps fingers crossed that she hasn't incurred an infraction*:):eek:

What is the point of members discussing someone who has nominated themself ?

It is the mods who decide on a person amongst themselves and not by what other members of the forum think of them be it positive or negative.

I fail to see what it would achieve a part from being a continuation of the thanks button in some respect.

Dub13 requested that it does not turn into a popularity contest in the OP I suspect for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I probably wasn't a realistic contender anyway given the amount of infractions I've picked up in here, but you can officially rule me out after my previous declaration of interest. Exam results did not go as well as hoped, so won't be as active as I'd like after the World Cup for a month and a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement