Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kobe Steak ? Or Shanahans ?

Options
  • 22-06-2010 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hopefully someone will be able to help. Is there anywhere in Dublin that does Kobe steak ? Been wanting to try it for ages & have a birthday coming up.

Likewise is Shanahans worth a visit ? Again, wanted to try it but it always seemed so expensive. Not a huge steak eater, but would like the experience (of both questions).

TNX

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I've been to Shanahan's twice, disappointed 100% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

jdivision wrote: »
    I've been to Shanahan's twice, disappointed 100% of the time

can you elaborate a bit more? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Kobe and wagyu here http://www.otoolesbutchers.com/

Shanahan's has good steak but has a expense account kind of vibe. Mostly guys in suits there, and it's expensive to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I went to Shanahans once, but only because I got a present of a voucher.
    We paid 200 euro for 1 starter, 2 steaks with side orders, 1 dessert and a
    a bottle of the cheapest wine on the menu. That as all we needed to order,
    the amount of food we got would have fed a family of 5.

It was a lovely steak, but I think that you would really, really need to like
    steak to pay that. I know some people love it, but it wasn't for me.

I also didn't like the atmosphere too much. It was such a stereotype
    expense account crowd - lots and lots of overweight, middle aged men
    in white shirts. Not a whole lot of buzz.

If 200 euro is going to take a lot out of your entertaining budget , then
    it might was wasted just to try an expensive steak.

I think your other idea of buying a kobe steak and cooking it yourself
    might be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Cheers guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

O'Tooles in glastule also give you detailed instructions on who to prepare and cook the kobe beef to get the proper results.

It seems that there is more to it then just seasoning it and cooking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Shanahan's is nearly more about the whole experience than the steaks. You'll have a great night, lots of nice food and an empty pocket! If all you really want is a fab steak, get thee to a good butcher and get some good Irish aged meat. Whatever cut you fancy yourself (I prefer striploins/rib eyes).
    I've had both Kobe & Wagyu, and meh, I really wasn't that pushed. I prefer taste over texture, as long as it's not tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

olaola wrote: »
    I've had both Kobe & Wagyu, and meh, I really wasn't that pushed. I prefer taste over texture, as long as it's not tough.

Ah yes, but were they fed on sake?

The Japanese have shabu-shabu - thinly sliced meat cooked in a hot broth at the table. It takes about 10 seconds to cook, then they use a tahini style sauce to dip it in before eating. Really delicious.
    The meat itself is highly marbled with fat, and it's the fat where the flavour is. However, it can cost more than 300 euro a kilo (not that I'd ever pay that). The other style is 'yakiniku' - a barbeque with a sweetish soya based dip, also delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Mucco wrote: »
    The Japanese have shabu-shabu - thinly sliced meat cooked in a hot broth at the table. It takes about 10 seconds to cook, then they use a tahini style sauce to dip it in before eating. Really delicious.
    The meat itself is highly marbled with fat, and it's the fat where the flavour is. However, it can cost more than 300 euro a kilo (not that I'd ever pay that). The other style is 'yakiniku' - a barbeque with a sweetish soya based dip, also delicious.
    Sounds like the Chinese HotPot, which is very popular in Beijing. Absolutely delicious, but definitely not something I would do with a very good cut of beef, as it takes on the flavour of the broth, and you are essentially boiling it, losing much of the meat's texture and flavour, then dipping it in a peanut and garlic sauce. Yum.

I went to Shanahans once (for a special occasion) and really enjoyed the quality of the meat and the accompanying dishes, but share other's opinions that the atmosphere was that of middle-aged over-privileged expense account credit card holders trying to out-do each other with their boisterousness. It was, unfortunately, the evening of a Rugby International, which no doubt compounded the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

Mucco wrote: »
    Ah yes, but were they fed on sake?

I had a Shabu-Shabu with Kobe beef for dinner in the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong and I can honestly say it was the best meal I have ever eaten. Absolutly awsome. The Shabu-Shabu itself cost about €120 but man it was worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement