Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shaping bokeh

• 22-06-2010 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

I just learned how to create whatever shaped bokeh you'd like. You cut a circle of cardboard the same size as your lens and then cut a small shape in the very centre. I fitted it onto the end of the lens with a tiny amount of selotape. This is a 50mm @ f/2 and the heart is about 15mm.

4723394977_6c42f6080a_o.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

oh fantastic! love the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

A christmassy one :)

A7F0D55BCF454612909469FF571B39B4-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I did some xmass ones last year.

E9B3CB9EA3164B2AAC2E30D7EAA9EC0E-500.jpg

9E0E9770816D46FBB154E38CD5213089-500.jpg

E0406C52B695490492284B799453770C-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Cheers for introducing me to this... You have now posed questions that I'm going to have to spend all night researching. Thanks! No seriously thanks.

• Advertisement

101001 wrote: »
    I'm going to have to spend all night researching.

Just in case you didn't find what you were looking for, this has all you need to know:
    http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_create_your_own_bokeh

Or, if like me, you have a lensbaby,you could use one of these (or a homemade version)
    http://www.lensbaby.com/accessories-creative.php

Cheers but I was all over those badboys. What I wanted to know was if bokeh moved (say if you have a really long exposure). A shot taken a second later would the bokeh be different even slightly (possibly getting a dappled effect at 50fps). I think am pretty happy that it wouldnt unless the sources of bokeh moved/the lighting changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

My first time trying it. It took me ages to get the size of the star right.
    36748_1450637316164_1540176569_31088497_5397020_n.jpg
    The heart one didn't turn out as nice.
    36748_1450637276163_1540176569_31088496_8237791_n.jpg

101001 wrote: »
    Cheers but I was all over those badboys. What I wanted to know was if bokeh moved (say if you have a really long exposure). A shot taken a second later would the bokeh be different even slightly (possibly getting a dappled effect at 50fps). I think am pretty happy that it wouldnt unless the sources of bokeh moved/the lighting changes.

I'm pretty sure it shouldn't move, as you say unless the light source did, but you've just put an idea in my head for a very interesting time lapse project :)

dakar wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it shouldn't move, as you say unless the light source did, but you've just put an idea in my head for a very interesting time lapse project :)

was just talking to wavelength he says we are both on the same;). Changing the point of focus also has a nice effect. Ive been trying it at really high fps but i cant move it smootly enough (like a focus pulling effect). One thing that works nice with the focus is if you crossfade between the images rather than just jump to them makes it a lot smoother. Really enjoying this thanks OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

I just learned how to create whatever shaped bokeh you'd like. You cut a circle of cardboard the same size as your lens and then cut a small shape in the very centre. I fitted it onto the end of the lens with a tiny amount of selotape. This is a 50mm @ f/2 and the heart is about 15mm.

Thanks for that tip. Perfect for a skinflint like me. Now I can have
    hex/sept/octagonal highlights in the images from my cheapo
    five bladed Canon 50mm f/1.8 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

any chance of a photo of the setup? I could really use this diversity for a college portfolio.

Nice pics

the links Dakar posted have pics of the setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

If any that has done this is going to Charleville this weekend - maybe you could bring whatever you used and show me :o I get the basic concept but I'd be nice to see it in practise!

sNarah wrote: »
    If any that has done this is going to Charleville this weekend - maybe you could bring whatever you used and show me :o I get the basic concept but I'd be nice to see it in practise!

No problem!

Advertisement