Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband in Drogheda Dublin Rd area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

CMpunked wrote: »
    So Grange Rath is not fibre ready?

It is live now....just placed order for shop in Southgate and house in Grange Rath

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I rang this morning and it's not available in Five Oaks till the 12th July

Check this out

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056972880

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

LFCFan wrote: »

Well it's good to see eircom haven't changed much !

According to the line checker, my line can only hold 25Mb/s which doesn't bode well for the majority of Five Oaks Village as I am near the top of the estate and must be close to the 1km limit with speeds like that. I reckon a big chunk of the estate won't be able to get it. Why we don't have our own cab is beyond me with the amount of houses in the estate. There is no way the Stameen cab will have enough capacity for Stameen and Five Oaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,292 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'm contracted to Vodafone and checked online which told me I am able to get up to the 70 mb rate.

So I rang them after that and they said my line would be ready on 12th July and they would ring me closer to.

I've signed up to them up to October, so its a decision to make if I should keep with them or wait until Oct and then change back to Eircom.. I'll have a look at the bundles and see

(I'm in Grange Rath)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

For Eircom peeps, what does the upgrade entail? Is it just a switch at their end or do I need a new router? It says "free upgrade"; is it free or "free"? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

I rang this morning and it's not available in Five Oaks till the 12th July

Check this out

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056972880

talked to magnet they have confirmed the 12 of July
    once again we have been eircomed:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

12th July eh?

Hopefully will get to show off fancy new fast internet to my family from Belfast who will be down here hiding from the bowler hats

Stameen and Five Oaks addresses are in the address checker now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 whatsdcraic

Stameen and Five Oaks addresses are in the address checker now

What exactly does that mean man? That mean there live or?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nc63

What exactly does that mean man? That mean there live or?
    It means you can order e-fibber for lines in those estates.

nc63 wrote: »
    It means you can order e-fibber for lines in those estates.

but not until the 12th July. You see Eircom have a different use of the english language. 'Available in your area' actually means 'It will be available and we would like you to ring us, yet again, so we can waste your time and then tell you to ring back again in a few weeks when it's actually available and at that time we will decide whether we want to bother giving it to you or not'

but not until the 12th July. You see Eircom have a different use of the english language. 'Available in your area' actually means 'It will be available and we would like you to ring us, yet again, so we can waste your time and then tell you to ring back again in a few weeks when it's actually available and at that time we will decide whether we want to bother giving it to you or not'

I honestly despise eircom with a passion. Never thought it would be possible to hate a company so much. I'm actually with Vodafone at the moment.

but not until the 12th July.
    I don't know about Eircom. In my opinion they have grossly mishandled the (belated) introduction of fibre to Ireland and won't be getting any business from me. I ordered with Vodafone yesterday and was told I would have service within a couple of weeks.

I don't know about Eircom. In my opinion they have grossly mishandled the (belated) introduction of fibre to Ireland and won't be getting any business from me. I ordered with Vodafone yesterday and was told I would have service within a couple of weeks.

So Vodafone are actually installing before the 12th July for service Eircom are selling them yet Eircom won't do it till then? :mad:

• Advertisement

So Vodafone are actually installing before the 12th July for service Eircom are selling them yet Eircom won't do it till then? :mad:

I rang Vodafone just there. Said it's available 12th July but can't order now, have to ring back on the 12th. I'm in stameen.

I rang Vodafone just there. Said it's available 12th July but can't order now, have to ring back on the 12th. I'm in stameen.
    I talked to a guy in magnet yesterday he said that eircom would not release my number for upgrade till july 12th

For Eircom peeps, what does the upgrade entail? Is it just a switch at their end or do I need a new router? It says "free upgrade"; is it free or "free"? :pac:
    You will need a router capable of handling vDSL. If you've had your existing router any length of time, it will need to be replaced.

There's only 1 Cabinet serving Stameen and Five Oaks which is nearly 300 houses according to the address checker but 1 cabinet only servers around 160ish. What's going to happen when capacity is taken? Does it mean another cabinet or will it just mean no more eFibre for anyone else?

There's only 1 Cabinet serving Stameen and Five Oaks which is nearly 300 houses according to the address checker but 1 cabinet only servers around 160ish. What's going to happen when capacity is taken? Does it mean another cabinet or will it just mean no more eFibre for anyone else?
    more brilliant eircom planning :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Where does the 160 figure come from? The look as if they should be capable of serving more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

I brought this up earlier - Wheaton Hall has one cabinet, but there are 400+ addresses in Wheaton Hall. Not sure how/what the idea is, perhaps they don't expect everyone to subscribe to fibre broadband?

positron wrote: »
    I brought this up earlier - Wheaton Hall has one cabinet, but there are 400+ addresses in Wheaton Hall. Not sure how/what the idea is, perhaps they don't expect everyone to subscribe to fibre broadband?

Not all once. People need to realise that they aren't expecting everyone to jump on the bandwagon asap. It's like the company that my dad works for. They don't start using Windows 7 or Windows 8 as soon as they come out. You wait for a year or so to wait for all the bugs to be ironed out and any other issues. Eircom will put in more cabinets in the area.

positron wrote: »
    or they just don't care:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

red_bairn wrote: »
    Not all once. People need to realise that they aren't expecting everyone to jump on the bandwagon asap. It's like the company that my dad works for. They don't start using Windows 7 or Windows 8 as soon as they come out. You wait for a year or so to wait for all the bugs to be ironed out and any other issues. Eircom will put in more cabinets in the area.

The analogy doesn't work. Windows 8 will get released very similar dates all over the world. VDSL is not some super new technology that is going through Beta testing stage, it is a mature product that should have all the hardware bugs well and truly ironed out.

The cabinets they installed have room for additional racks. They will nor spend on equipment that may lie idle.

Mylow wrote: »
    The analogy doesn't work. Windows 8 will get released very similar dates all over the world. VDSL is not some super new technology that is going through Beta testing stage, it is a mature product that should have all the hardware bugs well and truly ironed out.

The cabinets they installed have room for additional racks. They will nor spend on equipment that may lie idle.

I wasn't specifically talking about the hardware. I'm talking about the poor planning for wiring that was put under the ground in the last 10-30years.

I was also thinking about the people waiting to hear back from others about the installation service.

I know VDSL isn't new, but high speed broadband services will not suddenly be bought by all of those 400 houses. Some people might not even have a computer in their house let alone the internet. I know of at least one individual up the road from me who told me he doesn't have one.

Just to be clear, even though it shows p as live on eircoms site I wont be able to order it from them? Or will I be able to order it but it just wont kick in until at least July 12?

Just to be clear, even though it shows p as live on eircoms site I wont be able to order it from them? Or will I be able to order it but it just wont kick in until at least July 12?

I rang Vodafone yesterday about stameen. They confirmed the 12th but said I couldn't order now and that I am to ring back on the 12th

july 12th is only in relation to the stameen cab most isp's are taking advanced orders

• Advertisement

I rang Vodafone yesterday about stameen. They confirmed the 12th but said I couldn't order now and that I am to ring back on the 12th
    That's very strange. They took an order from me for a line in Stameen and told me that it would be 10-15 days before the line is activated for vDSL.

That's very strange. They took an order from me for a line in Stameen and told me that it would be 10-15 days before the line is activated for vDSL.

Interesting

Interesting

The plot thickens... *dun* *dun* *dunnnnnnnnnnn* :D

The plot thickens... *dun* *dun* *dunnnnnnnnnnn* :D

Hahaha I'm on d phone to them now

Was on to Eircom. They took an order but the fiber will not be on until July 12, until then I will be on a lesser, normal package with them when it switches from vodafone

Was on to Eircom. They took an order but the fiber will not be on until July 12, until then I will be on a lesser, normal package with them when it switches from vodafone

We're currently on the 8Mb connection getting changed now to the 'Up to 24Mb'(12Mb is what our line can get). According to an Eircom letter that my dad got today, they'll notify us when we can get fibre...hmmm.

If I were I'd contact them on the day because most likely they'll lose your order since lots of people are having trouble with keeping their orders with them...

I was talking to my isp(magnet) today the guy said pre qualification on my line shows 40/20 but he said that when the line gets connected that can go up or down by as much as 20/10 so will just have to wait till the 12th

neighbour of mine was in the eircom shop in Scotch hall today the guy in the shop said that the first house in five oaks was connected on Friday and the stameen box is live

ferpur wrote: »
    neighbour of mine was in the eircom shop in Scotch hall today the guy in the shop said that the first house in five oaks was connected on Friday and the stameen box is live

How believable is that? I find any sales person for Eircom will lie through their teeth if they think it'll get them something

**edit - I checked online again and this time it allowed me to order eFibre and I got a reference number. I tried calling Eircom then to try and get an installation date but the first time I rang I got pushed around their menu system and eventually it told me the call centre was closed and disconnected (this was at 09:30) and the second time I rang, Customer 'Care' put me through to eFibre team but it just kept ringing and no answer.

I don't think I've ever had such a brutal experience with a company before trying to order something. They really are doing their best to lose customers.

• Advertisement

Another update - I finally got through again to Customer Care and now they tell me the eFibre system is down and they can't process any orders or give installation dates today and it will be tomorrow before it's back up and running again. It's actually so unbelievably bad at this stage it's comical just how useless Eircom are :mad:

Another update - I finally got through again to Customer Care and now they tell me the eFibre system is down and they can't process any orders or give installation dates today and it will be tomorrow before it's back up and running again. It's actually so unbelievably bad at this stage it's comical just how useless Eircom are :mad:

You'd think they'd have a new database on another server that they'd migrate over to...:D

You'd think they'd have a new database on another server that they'd migrate over to...:D

But this is Errorcom we are talking about so joined up thinking like that wouldn't be in their DNA :rolleyes:

Obviously they've never heard of high-availability clustering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jukebox Jim

Just thought I'd add my own story on the nightmare that has been the fibre rollout from Eircom.
    I'm living in Wheaton Hall and on the 5th of May I changed over from Vodafone and signed up for the fibre with one of their door to door sales people (which I now realise was a grave mistake.) I was told that both my phone line and regular broadband would switch over after 10 days and then I'd get my fibre install date for sometime around the 20th..

After ringing constantly over the last month and a half I was told on the 16th that I needed to fill out a form to change my regular broadband over to Eircom. I sent in the form and despite another few calls to Eircom nothing has happened.. Regular broadband hasn't changed over and now I'm getting a bill from Vodafone for 50 euro (for a 3.5mb connection) and have already had a 30 euro bill from Eircom. 80 euro for basically nothing.

I've never been so frustrated with a service before. The only reason I changed over was for the fibre as I'd been waiting 6 years for a decent connection..

And so the eFibre nightmare continues.......

Rang them again this morning. First call I was on hold for 12 mins and the it just disconnected me. I rang again and got through to CC and she was a nice girl and helpful and put me through to what sounded like an extremely frustrated eFibre sales guy (I'm beginning to understand why they are not the most friendly at times). He basically told me that because I have put the order through online there is nothing he can do for me. He can't even access the order. It goes to a back office team who get the email with the reference and they then ring the customers and sort out the installation date. He said himself it's a ridiculous system and he's sick of dealing with angry customers.

Take a bow Eircom, you are truely useless.

Hilariously I got an email from Eircom at the same time from getmore@eircom.ie with the following line in the body = 'As an Eircom customer, not only can you be assured of excellent and award-winning service'

Are they kidding me? Who were they up against for these awards? The Taliban Spiritual Guidance network?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭martin_g

LFC Fan i know exactly how you feel same thing happened to me!! Still waiting on installation since early May, just wondering if anybody has received yet and what their speeds are like.

Not till the 12th :(

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭martin_g

I am hoping for the 4th (-: but the way things have gone I wont hold my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

martin_g wrote: »
    LFC Fan i know exactly how you feel same thing happened to me!! Still waiting on installation since early May, just wondering if anybody has received yet and what their speeds are like.

My other halfs parents got their modem fitted about 2 weeks ago. They are getting around about 38.72Mbps download, 8.07Mbps upload and 47ms ping. I think its the lower package they are on.

markc1184 wrote: »
    My other halfs parents got their modem fitted about 2 weeks ago. They are getting around about 38.72Mbps upload, 8.07Mbps download and 47ms ping. I think its the lower package they are on.

I highly doubt they are on 38 upload! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement