Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband in Drogheda Dublin Rd area.

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭hargo

positron wrote: »
    I got SIRO installed in June. Speed varies between 30 to 110 mbps download and constant 30 mpbs upload (I guess it also depends on how I am testing; of all devices I have, only my phone is capable of connecting with 5g signal).

Don't understand the huge variation in download speeds. I thought that with fibre to the house you were guarenteed the contracted speed. I can get 60 plus download all the time with the standard fibre broadband and would be very dissapointed with fibre to the house going as low as 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

Actually I should qualify that I am probably not testing the most ideal way. Speed has never been a problem, so never bothered to check thoroughly. I would occasionally fire up speestest app on the phone in some part of the house and the phone prefers to connect to the slower network over 5g for some reason. Never tested with a device connected over Ethernet. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

I see Virgin media lines being installed in Wheaton Hall. Anyone have any info like when it'll become available etc. Wonder is it a better option than Siro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

I think Siro is a better product but they are not doing any more digging in Wheaton Hall so looks like we might have to go with Virgin.

CPL 593H

Can anyone with Siro comment on whether the installers were very strict in where they drill the line into the house ? Our ESB box is on 1 side of the house but ideally I'd like the line to enter on the other side and run the cable from box to that point - similar to Sky.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Salty Dog wrote: »
    Can anyone with Siro comment on whether the installers were very strict in where they drill the line into the house ? Our ESB box is on 1 side of the house but ideally I'd like the line to enter on the other side and run the cable from box to that point - similar to Sky.

We got Siro installed a few months ago and as with you, our ESB box was on one corner of the house and I needed the line entering on the complete opposite corner of the house. They had no issue doing it and were very neat and it was all done in less than an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭hargo

Virgin Media live in Stameen now with fibre to the house. Whats peoples experience of their service, modem etc. Currently with Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cilles man

Anyone got update on Eir broadband installation in the Cooperhill , Beamore , Beabeg rural area, see a lot of activity on approach to Beamore cross, when will be be customer ready , no word on Eircoms rural broadband roll out map on their web page . Anyone hear anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jukebox Jim

There was work going on up Cooperhill Road last week. Apparently it'll be available to customers starting the end of January.

Here in Wheaton Hall, Virgin are working in the front parts of the estate but still haven't come to ourselves in Foxhill. Fingers crossed it starts soon, I want to give them my money!

Still nothing here in Foxhill, Wheaton Hall. SIRO installed in half the estate and Virgin unable to tell me why, after 7 months, no home installations have been made. Very frustrating!

• Advertisement

I see Virgin Media is live now in Wheaton Hall. Anyone take up the service yet and how are you finding it ?

Ah that's fantastic news! When they were working in the estate recently I asked why everything had been delayed by a year. Guy told me it was a problem between louth and meath county council. Very frustrating. I'm gonna give Virgin a shout later on and see about arranging an install. I'll update this thread when I know more.

Ah that's fantastic news! When they were working in the estate recently I asked why everything had been delayed by a year. Guy told me it was a problem between louth and meath county council. Very frustrating. I'm gonna give Virgin a shout later on and see about arranging an install. I'll update this thread when I know more.

I think it went live just before Christmas. I'm curious about how they do the wiring from the connection on the path to the location of the router/tv. I've seen a few house in Drogheda where it looks like they just took up a bit of the driveway and then just covered over with cement again. Those just had full cemented driveways/gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭td1

I tried to get SIRO installed last year (with Digiweb as service provider), but was informed that the service duct is "direct buried" and therefore "not available to carry the drop cable required to deliver the service", due to the the fact that "it would be extremely costly and disruptive to the general area to dig out the buried duct". Has anyone else had this issue? I'm looking to change service provider and would appreciate any recommendations on other providers in this area. [There is a Virgin-branded manhole cover type thing on the footpath outside my home, which was installed when the SIRO contractors were in my estate. Anyone using them for broadband?]

I am just out of the 18 months contract with Vodafone - I had 150 Mbps SIRO thingee - 18 months have flown by and it's been more or less decent, except for a few days and odd issues here and there, I was perfectly happy with it.

Then I saw this thread and decided to do some research. So in Wheaton Hall, assuming Virgin is live, the following are the options / prices.

Packakge Mbps Reducded Months Regular Months Installation Total Duration PerMonth
    Voda as is 150 45 0 45 12 0 540 12 45.00
    Digiweb 150 30 3 45 9 50 545 12 45.42
    Virgin 240 32 6 54 6 0 516 12 43.00
    Digiweb 1000 10 2 55 10 50 620 12 51.67
    Vodafone 1000 25 6 55 12 0 810 18 45.00
    Sky fibre Ultra 1000 0 0 40 12 50 530 12 44.17

Clearly the last two are best value - but I read elsewhere that Vodafone 1000 package with 25 euro for first six months is only for new subscriptions, which leaves me with Sky Fibre Ultra.

So I decided to give Vodafone a ring to see what my upgrade choices are - I was bounced around between team to team three times, giving name, address, account number etc every single time and the fourth person put me on hold for fifteen minutes and then eventually cut me off. Either they are not used to people ringing up to buy products off them, or they just don't want my custom!

Then I rang Sky and after some waiting, got thru to a guy who had all sorts of trouble with their system - UAN, CRN, Account number - he had to disconnect and call back multiple times, and eventually we agreed on details and he had trouble taking card details thru phone (wanted me to dial card details using phone key pad and his system wasn't registering key strokes), and he was supposed to call me back and hasn't...

So yeah... strange world that companies don't want your business or can't take your money. I thiink will give Sky another ring to see if they can take my money and sell me the darn thing or not..

I hope the table above is useful to someone. There are a lot of additional details missing.. For example, after 12 months sky is like 95 a month. Also the initial setup charges will vary depending on what infrastructure you have at the moment - I am already on SIRO, so Sky Fibre install cost is only €50, otherwise it would be €109 etc.. so please do your own research!!

Are you in Wheaton Hall, Positron? Can I ask what real speeds you're getting on the 150 SIRO? Would love to get SIRO but for some reason they only did half the estate. I'm in Foxhill and it stops 2 lanes away. Baffling that they only did half but have Virgin fibre booked which should give me about 350mb. Can't wait!

Yes I am in Wheaton Hall, and took SIRO as soon as it was laid here at the back end of the estate. I was getting full 150 Mbps when I have been testing properly (like laptop on LAN etc), but did not check that often as I didn't really have any performance issues over these 18 months (and I work from home a lot).

Got this response from VM on wiring :

If the builder has laid ducting from the main duct under the footpath through to each home this means we'll only need to run co-ax through there up to the duct outlet on the house. From there a small external hole is drilled to bring that inside.

If the builder hasn't laid ducting we would need to look into pinning the co-ax along the boundary wall and bringing it up to the house. Afraid we wouldn't be able to bury this under a cobblelock driveway.

Clearly the last two are best value - but I read elsewhere that Vodafone 1000 package with 25 euro for first six months is only for new subscriptions, which leaves me with Sky Fibre Ultra.

Just as an update - after a lot of hassle with Sky trying to figure out the format of CRN number etc - many calls and follow up calls (them calling me, in fairness), they managed to switch my account from Vodafone SIRO to Sky.

Today is my day 1 with Sky fibre ultra - and I am getting around 500-700 mbps last I checked. They do claim that it will take up to 24 hours to get a stable state, so will report back if I ever get full 1000 mbps from Sky.

• Advertisement

Just as an update - after a lot of hassle with Sky trying to figure out the format of CRN number etc - many calls and follow up calls (them calling me, in fairness), they managed to switch my account from Vodafone SIRO to Sky.

Today is my day 1 with Sky fibre ultra - and I am getting around 500-700 mbps last I checked. They do claim that it will take up to 24 hours to get a stable state, so will report back if I ever get full 1000 mbps from Sky.

How do the costs compare between the 2 ?

Did you have any issues with cabling ? I hear that they want to hook into the closest power point to the esb box which might not be the most suitable location for the modem.

How do the costs compare between the 2 ?

Sky 1000 mbps is €40 for first 12 months which is also the contract duration (and then €95 I think), and that's cheaper than the Vodafone SIRO 150 mbps plan that I had just come out of (€45 a month). Vodafone SIRO 1000 mbps is a decent deal but only available to new customers, so I had no choice but to switch to Sky.
    Did you have any issues with cabling ? I hear that they want to hook into the closest power point to the esb box which might not be the most suitable location for the modem.

I have had SIRO for last 18 months, so it was wired 18 months ago - fibre brought up the ESB cabling, into the meter box outside, and a hole thru the wall to inside for the OTN box etc - that was convenient enough for me location-wise. I don't know if they will install it far off, but it shouldn't be too hard to do I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭andydurnin

I'm moving into knightswood Drogheda, new build. Dose anyone know What is the best internet to get there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Phase 1 has copper network, up to 100mb with all providers, and FTTH (not live yet)
    Phase 2 is FTTH only (not live yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sashab

I am living in South Gate Centre, what is best broadband there? I try to get Sky 1GB but they say it's not available. Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

sashab wrote: »
    I am living in South Gate Centre, what is best broadband there? I try to get Sky 1GB but they say it's not available. Thanks

I'm in Grange Rath and we have SIRO 1GB fibre through Digiweb. I would have thought if we have it, Southgate would also have access to it. Do Sky re-sell SIRO or Eir's FTTH? If it's Eir's they are not in the area yet. Check with Vodafone or Digiweb or the SIRO website. They have an Eircode checker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

Anyone sign up with Virgin media yet?
    After many years with Sky, I'm underwhelmed so far.
    The tv box is slow, clunky and not at all user friendly.
    The broadband has been a nightmare, the service is always there but no webpages will open a lot of the time (server issues on their side)
    I'm constantly on the phone to their customer service. :(
    It's good value @54 euro per month but I think I'll be going Freesat or back to Sky when the 12 months are up.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jastew

kbell wrote: »
    Phase 1 has copper network, up to 100mb with all providers, and FTTH (not live yet)
    Phase 2 is FTTH only (not live yet)

Where did you get this information? I looked it up and it says there is no internet planned for Knightswood phase 2. Looking like it will be provided under the government broadband scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

LFCFan wrote: »
    I'm in Grange Rath and we have SIRO 1GB fibre through Digiweb. I would have thought if we have it, Southgate would also have access to it. Do Sky re-sell SIRO or Eir's FTTH? If it's Eir's they are not in the area yet. Check with Vodafone or Digiweb or the SIRO website. They have an Eircode checker

The apartments in Southgate have remote meters. ESB would need to get access through the complex to pull FTTH. I know the main exchange fir the complex is on the Dublin Rad side of the building. I am not sure situation with apartments in Park Ridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Number_05

Did anyone in Wheaton Hall get virgin fibre installed. Did they dig up drive or is there access to ducting. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Sky 1000 mbps is €40 for first 12 months which is also the contract duration (and then €95 I think), and that's cheaper than the Vodafone SIRO 150 mbps plan that I had just come out of (€45 a month). Vodafone SIRO 1000 mbps is a decent deal but only available to new customers, so I had no choice but to switch to Sky.

I have had SIRO for last 18 months, so it was wired 18 months ago - fibre brought up the ESB cabling, into the meter box outside, and a hole thru the wall to inside for the OTN box etc - that was convenient enough for me location-wise. I don't know if they will install it far off, but it shouldn't be too hard to do I would imagine.

How to do find sky speed wise in comparison to VF siro...my contract with VF is up shortly. I was on the 1G plan but never get those speeds. The one thing about the package was the VFTV is actually not bad.

• Advertisement

Number_05 wrote: »
    Did anyone in Wheaton Hall get virgin fibre installed. Did they dig up drive or is there access to ducting. Thanks

I'm in Foxhill and they dug up a section of the drive to get the cable to the house. Job took about an hour start to finish. In fairness they did a great job and there's no sign of the work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

What broadband and tv combo do people recommend in the Dublin road/five oaks area? Is Virgin available

Advertisement