Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband in Drogheda Dublin Rd area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Wireless net

just spent ages reading through this thread, and am eagerly waiting the higher speeds wont come soon enough, however a few years back i got my own dedicated connection, i will see what the new speeds are like, and reliability then i might switch back to cheaper internet, currently i have between 3 and 5 ms latency, does anyone know what the latency will be like on the higher speeds with eircom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Dingatron wrote: »
    The Eircom fibre rollout has started in Drogheda. I was talking to two Eircom lads today and Mell will be completed by late August/early September according to one of them that's involved in the cabling work.

Sorry I know that's not much good to those in Five Oaks etc I forgot to ask them about that area. I'll keep my eyes open and ask next time I see them.
    That's gas, Mell is one of the closest areas to the Patrick St. exchange. You'd already expect a comfortable 15 mbps on ADSL2+ in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭robvondoom

Saw some works on the Donore Road outside Ballsgrove on Wednesday that looked like cable being laid. They were outside Xtravision on the bridge today.
    Happy days.

would it be worth setting up a community broadband / WISP in this area?

considering the poor speeds being offered by eircom currently, surely this could be a runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

So what kind of speeds can we expect?

Recently got an eircom line into the house but have been having issues. We are in Tullybrook on the old Slane road. Signed up to the 8gb uncontested line but have been getting various speeds from 0.5 mg to 5.5 mg. There is a steady 6mb coming into the house as a technician has been out. Have changed the router as well and still the same problem.

Would new cabling help this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Recently got an eircom line into the house but have been having issues. We are in Tullybrook on the old Slane road. Signed up to the 8gb uncontested line but have been getting various speeds from 0.5 mg to 5.5 mg. There is a steady 6mb coming into the house as a technician has been out. Have changed the router as well and still the same problem.

Is the router connected at the line point of entry to the house? Multiple Extensions wired can effect the quality of the line.

Have you filters on all the lines?

Is all the cabling ok?

Are you connecting to router over wifi?

Are you seeing this speed drop from the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Dingatron wrote: »

Is the router connected at the line point of entry to the house? Multiple Extensions wired can effect the quality of the line.

Have you filters on all the lines?

Is all the cabling ok?

Are you connecting to router over wifi?

Are you seeing this speed drop from the router?

I hadn't tested the speed in over a week. I was consistently getting 5.5+mb last night. Never got anything like that consistency before. Eircom must have done something to the line.

I will have to keep an eye on it for the next few days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Has anyone spotted any more cable laying or work by Eircom around the Dublin Road? Seriously sick of of sub 2mbit speeds!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

LFCFan wrote: »
    Seriously sick of of sub 2mbit speeds!!

Government/Eircon: Sure, why would you need more than 2 mbps anyway.

Meanwhile across the channel, BT is trialling 330 mbps. :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Has anyone spotted any more cable laying or work by Eircom around the Dublin Road? Seriously sick of of sub 2mbit speeds!!
    Im sick of sub 1 speeds :(

no haven't spotted anyone doing work , however estates along the Dublin road area, will have FTTC and not fiber to the home, then depending on how far you are from you nearest cabinet , will dictate what speeds you will get.

however it will be no where near 100 / 150 MB , and more likely max speeds of between 10-20mb for the average user, depending on distance from nearest cab.

i have noticed that there are now two mobile operators with antenna's on south gate shopping centre, that would be a perfect high site, to setup a wireless ISP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭lamoss

I was driving past Paddypowers on the beamore road /platin road junction and their was a cabliing contractors working for eircom on the opposite side next to hairfoce one barbers and they had the manhole covers up and had a huge roll of orange cable on the back of a lorry, it was about 25mm thick. This must be the fibre optic cable going in for the broadband :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

lamoss wrote: »
    huge roll of orange cable on the back of a lorry

To match your woman with the orange hair pulling the cables through. They seem to be fairly busy all over the town. they were on Marsh Road on Tuesday, by the Train Station Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Current speed with Vodafone, I was getting 17Mb/s before

2047318716.png

MRPH ( i think thats what was written on the ,lorry ) were laying fiber cables near the entrance to wheaton hall today...

i think its ages away yet that any faster speeds will be had around this area
    also bear in mind that all these estates will be served by FTTC, so depending
    on how far you are from your local cabinet, will dictate what speeds you will get, based on the VDSL distance / speed guide, i would imagine that a lot of wheaton hall, will get MAX speeds of 10-15 MB and no where near the 50 / 100 / 150 eircom was talking about, only a tiny percentage of Drogheda will see really good speeds like 100 / 150 mb.

its disappointing to say the least!

• Advertisement

Orange cable truck parked up on the kerb in front of Wheaton Hall / Black Bull etc this morning, manhole covers open etc. Yay!!!

Anyone see any more work going on? I haven't seen any along the Dublin road in a while, and I wonder when they would activate the FTTC for this area! #

PS: Sky has started taking registration of interest for their sky broadband and talk bundle that's coming soon.

positron wrote: »
    Anyone see any more work going on? I haven't seen any along the Dublin road in a while, and I wonder when they would activate the FTTC for this area! #

PS: Sky has started taking registration of interest for their sky broadband and talk bundle that's coming soon.

the upgrade is a long way off, they have to upgrade the cabinets on the street,
    first and that has not even started, also it will only be FTTC, so if you are far from the cabinet, don't expect fast speeds!

where did you see sky taking registration for broadband in Ireland?

where did you see sky taking registration for broadband in Ireland?

See this thread, and this is the registration page: https://interest.sky.com/broadband/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

This will just be Vodafone DSL broadband re-packaged though so no use up the Dublin Road at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

more work today between wheton hall and roschoill lots of digging saw some one working at a cab at roschoill:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

The internet in wheaton hall is dreadfull!

NEWS.... hole dug Dublin rd Wheaton hall fiber cable sticking out possible location cabinet....NEWS

ferpur wrote: »
    NEWS.... hole dug Dublin rd Wheaton hall fiber cable sticking out possible location cabinet....NEWS

Yay, I have been keeping a close eye on that one :D:D

I really really hope we half decent telephone lines within WH estate, so that once FTTC goes live I hope we see at least 6-8 mbps.

Come back to me when you see fibre sticking out of the ground at Five Oaks :D

eircom connecting fiber into cab at roschaill today i think this will be the nearest cab to five oaks

I see cables coming out of the ground in front of Wheaton Hall, perhaps a new cabinet is coming up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭IE2012

ferpur wrote: »
    eircom connecting fiber into cab at roschaill today i think this will be the nearest cab to five oaks

are you sure? as i thought they would have to install a second cabinet there, or maybe they are installing the new equipment in that cabinet, as there are only 130 odd houses in Roschoill, and according to the eircom cable maps, that cabinet only serves Roschoill.

I see cables coming out of the ground in front of Wheaton Hall, perhaps a new cabinet is coming up there?

yes a cabinet is going in there, the concrete ground works are done, and the cables are there ready to be terminated into a cabinet.

saw some huawei cabs being unloaded from a lorry at wheaton hall this morning.

looks like the cabinet install! :D

• Advertisement

Confirmed!!

cab_wh.JPG

Confirmed!!

cab_wh.JPG

did ya not believe me?

the only other cabinet on the dublin road area, that i know of is the one at Roschoill, and there is no sign of a new cab going there?

or are they putting all the gear in the Roschoill cab, and no need for a second one?

IE2012 wrote: »
    did ya not believe me?

the only other cabinet on the dublin road area, that i know of is the one at Roschoill, and there is no sign of a new cab going there?

or are they putting all the gear in the Roschoill cab, and no need for a second one?

Of course.....just giving some photographic evidence for the non believers among us ;)

If they only go as far as Roschoill with the FTTC, how will this affect Five Oaks? Would there be enough capacity in once cab for Roschoill and Five Oaks? Surely it would make sense to have a cab for an estate the size of Five Oaks, especially considering the potential there for further development?

Of course.....just giving some photographic evidence for the non believers among us ;)

If they only go as far as Roschoill with the FTTC, how will this affect Five Oaks? Would there be enough capacity in once cab for Roschoill and Five Oaks? Surely it would make sense to have a cab for an estate the size of Five Oaks, especially considering the potential there for further development?

no room for five oaks in the Roschoill CAB, however there are only about 130 houses in Roschoill, and i think a cab is designed for 200 lines.

no room for five oaks in the Roschoill CAB, however there are only about 130 houses in Roschoill, and i think a cab is designed for 200 lines.

So there would definitley have to be a new Cab put in for Five Oaks? I've seen no activity around there yet for the fibre install. It better bloody happen or we'll be the only estate on the Dublin Road stuck in the Broadband dark ages once the rollout is complete!!

So there would definitley have to be a new Cab put in for Five Oaks? I've seen no activity around there yet for the fibre install. It better bloody happen or we'll be the only estate on the Dublin Road stuck in the Broadband dark ages once the rollout is complete!!

you could be just on the edge, of their rollout, in a kind of no mans land....

are there any cabs at all in five oaks?

you could be just on the edge, of their rollout, in a kind of no mans land....

are there any cabs at all in five oaks?

If there is, I don't think I've seen one. Surely they couldn't ignore an estate that size when all estate either side are serviced?

Confirmed!!

cab_wh.JPG

I thought they had enough concrete base built to accommodate two of these cabinets. If they can only take 200 houses, I wonder how many houses are there in Wheaton Hall itself, more than 200 surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Lads, Is there a contact name or number for who is putting in the fibre. They were doing it over in Highlands last week and left the place in a tip. But at least its Fibre. Thanks

• Advertisement

If they can only take 200 houses, I wonder how many houses are there in Wheaton Hall itself, more than 200 surely?

To answer myself, I did a quick count on Google Earth, and there are approximately 343 houses and 32 apartments in Wheaton Hall, plus more like shops and medical practice etc - I suppose we can round it to 400.

If one cabinet can only serve 200 connections, Wheaton Hall should have two cabinets just for itself. So is that cabinet outside Wheaton Hall actually for Wheaton Hall, or could it be to serve Beaubec across the road? Or are there other cabinets inside Wheaton Hall? Questions questions... :(

To answer myself, I did a quick count on Google Earth, and there are approximately 343 houses and 32 apartments in Wheaton Hall, plus more like shops and medical practice etc - I suppose we can round it to 400.

If one cabinet can only serve 200 connections, Wheaton Hall should have two cabinets just for itself. So is that cabinet outside Wheaton Hall actually for Wheaton Hall, or could it be to serve Beaubec across the road? Or are there other cabinets inside Wheaton Hall? Questions questions... :(

if that cabinet is for wheaton hall, then those in forrest view, barley cove etc, are a long way from that cab! i would guess that they would be at least 1km from the cabinet.

if that cabinet is for wheaton hall, then those in forrest view, barley cove etc, are a long way from that cab! i would guess that they would be at least 1km from the cabinet.

Yes, but still better than the 5 km from Patrick Street :)

These are the other two cabinets that I know of within Wheaton Hall - but they both look like ESB cabinets, are they not? Are there any more, and any Eircom ones?

http://goo.gl/maps/b1fU5
    http://goo.gl/maps/3EtlK

Yes, but still better than the 5 km from Patrick Street :)

These are the other two cabinets that I know of within Wheaton Hall - but they both look like ESB cabinets, are they not? Are there any more, and any Eircom ones?

http://goo.gl/maps/b1fU5
    http://goo.gl/maps/3EtlK

they are ESB cabinets im afraid

And this little one?

http://goo.gl/maps/ib81m

And this little one?

http://goo.gl/maps/ib81m

environmental monitoring, i believe, something to do with the big factory accross the river i think

• Advertisement

Darn darn darn. One cabinet for 400 connections? eire-miracle-com! :(

There's a second platform with a cover on it beside this cab so they are probably going to add a second one at some stage?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Feels like they are digging up half the estate in Grange Rath laying these wires....

Feels like they are digging up half the estate in Grange Rath laying these wires....

it must be fiber so, or are they putting in loads of different cabs?

what colour are the cables they are putting in? what part of grange rath are they working in?

so is Grange Rath getting FTTH?

There's a second platform with a cover on it beside this cab so they are probably going to add a second one at some stage?

LFCFAN

there is a CAB at the entrance to Stameen, here it is http://goo.gl/maps/cCqAM cCqAM

it looks big enough, so that is probably feeding five oaks too?

• Advertisement
Advertisement