Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of a steering fluid pipe replacement?

• 22-06-2010 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have just dropped my car(99 nissan almera hatchback) into a garage and been told that I need a new steering fluid pipe(might have been pump, I cant quite remember as the shock of the price was still setting in) as mine is leaking.

I was quoted €200 for it.:(

Is this a reasonable price.

BTW I know that there was a leak somewhere so they aren't making it up.

Also got a full service with 2 new tyres, 2 new bulbs, 2 front break pads, new front wipers and wheel alignment for €440

Thanks
    Conn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

I just gotthe pipe that runs from the pump to the rack of a Golf for €30 in a breakers. Then there's the fluid and the labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

woody33 wrote: »
    I just gotthe pipe that runs from the pump to the rack of a Golf for €30 in a breakers. Then there's the fluid and the labour.

Thanks for the info

I suppose if the part was 30 in a breakers, it would probably be €60+ new and 10-20 for the fluid.
    Seems like a bit much for the labor, though I know my maths are very generalized and for all I know its a pain in the a** to replace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Some cars can require an awful lot of dismantling to change parts of the steering pipework. So depending on what your car is like, the price may well be ok. Alot of cars end up getting rubberpieces added in as a repair to save all the dismantling required to replace entire pipe.
    Anyway if you are paying 200, be sure you do actually get a new pipe and not just a repair section stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Thanks again for the advise. They have to order the part in so I assume that it isnt just a quick fix job, but I will check at the time.

Advertisement