Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantasy fight-Joe Louis v Mike Tyson

• 22-06-2010 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

As all the fantasy fights, what is your take on this as a fight?

who'd win and why.. peak v peak..

Tyson 3rd round KO-he'd be all over joe like a rash, his power would be just too much and so would his speed in peak times..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,780 ✭✭✭✭walshb

For pure perfect punching technique and rhythm, Louis was amazing. He had timing, power and such accuracy.

Now, against a man who will be bigger and as fast, as heavy hitting and ever so aggressive, Louis' style doesn't hold up. I think his chin will no way withstand Mike's rapid fire power shots. Louis does not have the mix of chin/defence to weather a relentless Tyson. Mike has a very solid chin. Joe was hurt badly by
    smaller men with not close to Mike's power and ferocity

Tyson by early KO, could be 1 rd if he lands, which I would expect
    him to do. Peak Tyson's style is all wrong for Joe Louis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

Both had very sound boxing ability, both were very strong and immense in terms of strength, and had devestating punching power but Tyson was a lot faster than Louis...

Louis dominated in an era rich with massive hitters and 15/20 round wars and was a very well rounded and held the title for an era by himself, he was capable of doing substantial damage to most oponents in his prime...

The prime 86' - 88' tyson was devestating, unreal power mixed with speed and the abitily to take a punch, his ability as a boxer and his supreme conditioning meant he was the most feared fighter on the planet for a spell but all the human factors aside i thing Tyson at his peak wouldve been too fast for Louis, he would've hurt Louis and been able to move before being badly hurt himself, if Louis landed a 'Bomb' it's probably enough to end it but Tyson is too fast and has Joe's number, he moves and cuts Joe up with slashing offensive combinations and ends it with a KO before the fight gets too old...for me it's Tyson by KO inside 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,780 ✭✭✭✭walshb

For pure one shot power I think Mike hit harder. I also don't think Louis takes Tyson out
    with one shot. Mike's beard was grade A. Mike had the quicker hand/feet combination.

Tyson had that extra weight and size, particularly neck muscle, to absorb Louis' shots better than
    a Walcott or Conn or Baer or Schmeling.

Louis, not being a mover or ultra slick will be hit and hit often, though I think he has little chance should Mike catch him with anything remotely similar to the first shot that Holmes got tagged with, which knocked him down and almost out in the fourth round.

End of day: This is a 190-195 lb man vs a 215-220 lb man. Both with power, ONE with
    a Grade A chin and one with Grade B chin. I will go with the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrgardener

Its that age old question.. would a fighter from years ago beat a "recent" fighter?
    Heavyweights in particular are hard ones to call. Louis is one of my favourite fighters but against Tyson, I couldn't see him winning. Joe could figure out his opponents early on, but one good crack from Tyson and that would be the end of it.
    If Joe could last seven/eight rounds, however, I would give Joe the nod. The man had stamina!

Advertisement