Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interested in renting a place, but the decor is awful

Options
  • 22-06-2010 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I found a nice place to move in to that I'm interested in renting for at least 6 months. It's got great floor space and the location is very suitable as well. The only thing is, it's like stepping back in to 1965. The carpets are very old and the overall look of the place is really old fashioned.

Would anyone have any suggestions how to make the most out of this if we were to move in? Anyone in this kind of situation before? Almost getting desperate at this stage

Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Hi

Friend of mine had the exact same problem, he didn't listen to what I said and he went out and bought new curtains, painted the walls etc spent a small fortune.

Few months later he had to move out - all that then there for someone else to enjoy.
    He was paying the landlords mortgage and doing up his house, :mad:

It's one of the downsides of renting. If it's that bad say you're interested to the landlord but the decor is terrible and needs to be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ask.. we have twice had a landlord repaint because the colours were so awful.

And once had a landlord remove a totally filthy old carpet and put laminated flooring down.

And we got good curtains cheaply from Vincent de Paul and will take them with us when we leave.

Some landlords will let you repaint and will pay for the materials even.

Old sofas can be covered with throws etc; go to your local Vincent de Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Rather than worrying about decor, if the place is that old what about insulation?

You don't want to be stuck with paying massive utility bills during winter.

Advertisement