Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Powered Camping Fan...Can anyone help?

Options
  • 22-06-2010 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

I've googled and searched numerous gadget websites and all I could find was a baseball cap with a solar powered fan on ebay.

Found plenty of usb powered fans but as Im going camping in Spain would love to find a solar powered alternative.

Im leaving on the 5th which is why I would like to find something in Ireland or europe for postage.

The baseball cap fan on ebay was based in cork but it looks naff:cool:,I''d prefer something I could hang in the tent or pass round.

Many thanks.
    Gigs

Development : found this nifty little gadget on a us site but it was sold out ,I was going to purchase but the missus said "ney"

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travel-outdoors/c400/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need 12V battery (say 7Ah Gell type), 12V car dashboard fan (Lidl had some recently, some may still have them) and at least A4 size solar panel. Only a much larger panel will run fan without battery. You can charge battery all day.

Then you can use it to charge phones etc. Fit a 3 way "cigar Socket" to Solar panel/battery.

Anything smaller is a novely / toy. ThinkGeek is toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

Cheers Watty for your suggestion.

I checked out what you said and found this invertor in halfords :
    http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/cats3.asp?cat1=7&cat2=34 for 40euro. Its not on their website.

and on the same product website I found a solar panel kit http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/cats3.asp?cat1=7&cat2=93

that would suit me but as you'll see the website is trade only. I may leave the solar panel for now and charge up the battery during the day.

Thanks again for the help delighted I didnt go down the "baseball cap fan" route :rolleyes:

Thanks
    Gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd avoid mains electricity in a tent :)

You can get 12V fans, fridges, CFL/tube lights etc..

Maplin has a variety of solar panels. If you have a car + tent, you may not need a solar panel. You can also get 12V battery/lamp systems that can run a 12V fan and charge off car cigar socket when you are driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

Ive had a look at maplin and i'm gonna purchase the portable battery from halfords.

The battery in the link i posted is different to the one on sale in that it has only a cigar output. As for the fan Im gonna buy in spain along with having a look at solar panels.

I'm flirting with the idea of buying the battery there as well I'm told the hyper marche's are huge and have everything for camping but I think I'll air on the side of caution and arrive battery ready!

Thanks Gigs.

Advertisement