Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best web design pattern/model/framework for .NET mid tier/SQL developer

Options
  • 22-06-2010 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi all - I'm a .net developer of several years, the past few being middle tier and SQL back end development. I started off doing classic asp and I have done some front ending but nothing major, just standard data entry web forms with bits of css/javascript thrown in. The last front end stuff I did was about 3 years ago so I'm pretty rusty to say the least.

I've been asked to develop a commercial site so I'm looking for opinions on the best approach/design pattern/model/frameworks/tools to use. It'll be on the ASP.NET platform as that's what I'm most familiar with. It's a standard enough site from the front end but will have some complex algorithms and scenarios to work out behind the scenes, so it's more than just a brochure site. Users will be able to register and post different topics to the main page, subscribe/apply to other topics, receive email/sms of upcoming topics, and view locations using google maps.

So what are people's opinions..here's some options so far

- custom 3 tier with UI, middle tier, and back end using Visual Studio
    - Microsoft MVC
    - A N other / OSS MVC
    - 3rd party CMS

I haven't used MVC before but I'm leaning towards it, initially at least. There is an open source .NET MVC called FubuMVC which was developed by some people that wanted to improve on MS's one, but they ended up re-writing it completely...gonna look at it first.

Maybe there's some other platforms that I should be looking at e.g. Drupal, Ruby on Rails, Joomla? I don't know php and I think these are all based on that so there would be a learning curve.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

A few thoughts...

I'd definitely look at existing systems before re-inventing the wheel, unless this is a learning project for you.

I'd hazard a guess that you'd pick up PHP fairly handily if you had a look at it - it's a very user friendly language with tonnes of documented examples.

There are ASP.NET CMS's - one off the top of my head is DotNetNuke - check it out. Haven't used it so no recommendations.

HTH

Advertisement