Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ROMS and Emulators

• 22-06-2010 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Probably a really stupid question. I downloaded the SNesoid Lite app from the Market. When I open it i am asked to select a rom. Have no idea what this means?

Could anyone expain the best place to get the necessary rom and how to install it to get this app working.

Thanks!

Excuse my massive ignorance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lawstud wrote: »
    Probably a really stupid question. I downloaded the SNesoid Lite app from the Market. When I open it i am asked to select a rom. Have no idea what this means?

Could anyone expain the best place to get the necessary rom and how to install it to get this app working.

Thanks!

Excuse my massive ignorance.

Your ignorance could get you banned. Game ROMS are copyrighted which is why Snesoid doesn't come with any. Discussion of how to obtain copyrighted stuff is banned on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Not all ROMs are copyrighted, there are free ones available on the net. But I'm sure the ones you will want to play are copyrighted.

Though if own the original game there should be no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pretty sure this is open for debate, since is a thread within the retro subforum

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70306

Roms and emulators of Super nintendo and sega? Your just being anal if your putting that on par with the likes of him asking where to download free music for his phone.

These old retro games arnt available for sale anymore and arnt expected income for the developers or producers.

To anwser your question, I dont know where you can get roms, but I'd love to find out.

Less scare mongering please, especially when its false information on something that probably has us all interested. Mod can intervine if they wish but im pretty sure rom discussion and linking is perfectly legal here, as its legal through boards as a whole.

And any emulation of grey areas like a ps2 etc, cant even run on a HTC desire so its not even valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

TheDoc wrote: »
    Pretty sure this is open for debate, since is a thread within the retro subforum

Roms and emulators of Super nintendo and sega? Your just being anal if your putting that on par with the likes of him asking where to download free music for his phone.

These old retro games arnt available for sale anymore and arnt expected income for the developers or producers.

To anwser your question, I dont know where you can get roms, but I'd love to find out.

Less scare mongering please, especially when its false information on something that probably has us all interested. Mod can intervine if they wish but im pretty sure rom discussion and linking is perfectly legal here, as its legal through boards as a whole.

And any emulation of grey areas like a ps2 etc, cant even run on a HTC desire so its not even valid.

That post on the retro sub forum does not contain links to any ROM sites, only emulators which are perfectly legal. Also, a lot of these old retro games are still for sale via the Xbox 360 arcade, Wii Store and now Steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

TheDoc wrote: »

Pretty much every ROM you could name on the SNES, Megadrive etc. is copyrighted. Copyright theft is the same be it music, ROMS or movies. No discussion or linking is allowed on boards.

I would however state that 2 mins using google, and half a dollop of common sense would make this discussion unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

A LOT of old games are still for sale.

Mostly as downloads on consoles (Wii Store has a massive library of games from most of the 'retro' consoles) or remastered or re-released versions on modern hand-helds.

Advertisement