Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using a Full HD TV as a Monitor

• 22-06-2010 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I'm looking to upgrade my current monitor setup. I do a bit of graphic design, music production and gaming so a big monitor is quite advantageous for my needs. I was looking at this monitor http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-069-LG which seems like a good choice. As a bonus I can also plug my Xbox 360 and Wii into it.

However, I was wondering how well would a full HD TV function as a monitor? The LG would cost around 350 euro all in and I've noticed one can buy a full HD 32" Samsung for 370 which seems like a great deal. I've tried googling this but the majority of results all seem to be from 2006-7 and might not be relevant to todays technology. Anyone know the pros and cons of running a setup like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It depends on what your going to be using it for primarily, if it's PC then your eyes will probably burn out of your head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

You can buy a tv with vga , 2 hdmi ,scart , rca in .I,D Recommend a tv with vga in, if you are not sure use resolution 1024x768, refresh rate 60mhz
    i thing vga is really required for pc use .HAS YOUR PC GOT hdmi out.
    if you want to use the net ,webrowsing buy a 21, or 22inch tv widescreen .
    Make sure its full hd 1080p. if you want to just play pc , 360 games go for 32inch tv if you can afford it.

i would not try and read text for an hour on a 32 inch tv, the screen is just too big,you,d have to be close and then move your head right to left to read a webpage.
    its just better for pc connection to get a tv with vga in.
    read the tv manual,re pc inputs, recommended resolution.
    most tvs have only 3 pc input resolutions .
    power city have tvs around 200 euro,21 inch,hdtvs, vga in but the ones i seen had max pc resolution 1024x768.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Mataguri wrote: »
    I'm looking to upgrade my current monitor setup. I do a bit of graphic design, music production and gaming so a big monitor is quite advantageous for my needs. I was looking at this monitor http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-069-LG which seems like a good choice. As a bonus I can also plug my Xbox 360 and Wii into it.

However, I was wondering how well would a full HD TV function as a monitor? The LG would cost around 350 euro all in and I've noticed one can buy a full HD 32" Samsung for 370 which seems like a great deal. I've tried googling this but the majority of results all seem to be from 2006-7 and might not be relevant to todays technology. Anyone know the pros and cons of running a setup like this?

They work fine. You just need to sit back further. Don't bother if your PC doesn't have a HDMI out.

its fairly easy to find hdtvs with vga in, theres no extra charge ,just look in currys,dixons, pc world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

RT66 wrote: »
    They work fine. You just need to sit back further. Don't bother if your PC doesn't have a HDMI out.

I dunno if I'd agree with that, I have a 32" TV here hooked up with just a VGA cable, 1360x768@60Hz (as high as advertised) and it looks amazing.

• Advertisement

My pc to tv 32 inch hdtv looks great, but i just use it from games,dvds , i would not try and use it as an internet display.
    iNTERNET websites apart from youtube OR HULU are designed for 1024x768 on 15inch to 21inch displays.
    AS I SAID make sure the tv has vga in for pc use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

1080 will be way too high a resolution for normal computer usage, you dont really need a full HD one, only one with VGA in, which never displays at full HD anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭grumpygit

I'm using a samsung 32 inch with the monitor set at 1024*768 and its perfect for internet etc, also using a wireless mouse and keyboard and the whole setup works perfect, would never go back to a small screen

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ripeinmay

For graphic design i wouldn't reccomend a TV screen. The colour calibration would be miles off. TV's are good as media centres, Games, movies ect.
    Also, reading text is a strain, as would clicking tiny buttons in music production software, and as I mentioned before I wouldn't touch it for graphic design as what you see on screen and what the printers produce would be very different.

Basically for entertainment purposes Yes. For work and production No.

Get yourself a Dell UltraSharp or a ViewSonic Monitor for fiddley work! :D

Advertisement