Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike assembler interview

• 22-06-2010 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

I have an interview soon for a position assembling bikes and I am looking for tips/advice.

I used to assemble bikes and go-karts etc, and do some light repairs in a previous life, but this new place is a little more professional. I definitely have the aptitude for this kind of work, but I am not an expert on it, although I did learn a lot from a seasoned pro - who really knew his stuff

What would they be looking for from me? and any advice on what to say or do?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Is that what they call bike mechanics at Halfords? ... Now I understand...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Is that what they call bike mechanics at Halfords? ... Now I understand...

Very helpful.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

KungPao wrote: »
    Hi folks.

I have an interview soon for a position assembling bikes and I am looking for tips/advice.

I used to assemble bikes and go-karts etc, and do some light repairs in a previous life, but this new place is a little more professional. I definitely have the aptitude for this kind of work, but I am not an expert on it, although I did learn a lot from a seasoned pro - who really knew his stuff

What would they be looking for from me? and any advice on what to say or do?

Thanks in advance!

You've answered your own question :D
    Add in something like
    " always wanted to work as a bike assembler/mechanic" "Love bikes" etc.etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're going to be working in a workshop, they're looking for someone who is personable more than anything. A group of mechanics spend 6/7 hours a day in a workshop chatting and working away.
    The last thing they want to hire on is a mouth or someone who thinks he's hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Probably no harm in mentioning that you appreciate how important a well assembled bike is to the overall purchasing 'experience'.

Being methodical, thorough, etc. Along with being conscious about the important safety aspects involved.

DFD.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    You've answered your own question :D
    Add in something like
    " always wanted to work as a bike assembler/mechanic" "Love bikes" etc.etc.

Hmm makes sense!

Cheers!

seamus wrote: »
    If you're going to be working in a workshop, they're looking for someone who is personable more than anything. A group of mechanics spend 6/7 hours a day in a workshop chatting and working away.
    The last thing they want to hire on is a mouth or someone who thinks he's hilarious.

That's a good point. Luckily I am neither of those!

Probably no harm in mentioned that you appreciate how important a well assembled bike is to the overall purchasing 'experience'.

Being methodical, thorough, etc. Along with being conscious about the important safety aspects involved.

DFD.

That's a good tip. And it's true of me. I have never and would never send out a wonky bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

That you are very careful. Those new bikes cost a lot of money. You put a scratch in one, you just cost the shop more than you prolly earn in a week. Make sure they know you're sensitive to this fact.

Advertisement