Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Africa -v- France Group A Free State Stadium, 3pm Irish Time Live on RTE 2/ITV1

• 22-06-2010 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭

Bafana Bafana against Les Bleus

The fantastic hosts against the "laughing stock of the world"-Aime Jacquet

It could well turn out into a nothing match-perhaps even a glorified friendly depending on other results in Group A but it's a match which I am really looking forward to.

Do South Africa have enough to beat France, will France throw more toys out of their pram and perhaps even boycott the match-if rumors are to be believed.

I really hope Bafana Bafana can step it up in the off chance results go their way and advance, or at very least bow out in style!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

I know it's a bit silly but i'd love a Kieron Dyer vs Lee Bowyer moment today with the french (not because of the handball just for entertainment purposes). Just imagine Henry leveling Domnech on the sideline.

On another note read it'll be the most unpredictable French line up in yonks

expect Gignac/ Valbuena and maybe even Planus-Squalcci

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone want to try guess the French team? Almost looking forward to that as much as the match.

My guess

Lloris; Sagna, Squillaci, Planus, Clichy; Gourcuff, A Diarra, Toulalan, Diaby, Valbuena; Gignac, or something along those lines anyway.

Very little chance I would imagine (and hope) of seeing the likes of Gallas, Henry, Abidal, Malouda and perhaps even Ribery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Wouldn't mind seeing France bang a few by SA to make it somewhat interesting with the two games running in tandem.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind seeing France bang a few by SA to make it somewhat interesting with the two games running in tandem.

Wouldn't mind South Africa banging a few in :D:D

peabutler wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind South Africa banging a few in :D:D
    They can still mathematically qualify can't they? Would possibly be the best thing I have ever seen happen in football if they did

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

South Africa to win would be nice, but Uruguay and Mexico will probably just draw to make the result of this game a moot point anyway.

Think if Uruguay score a good 3 nil and South Africa score a good 2-0 or something

Evra dropped anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Love to see France pull together but won't happen. They may still win the match though as South Africa are terrible.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Evra was deservedly dropped due to shocking performance and poor behaviour.

6 changes, Gallas hopefully dropped as well for the same reasons as Evra.
    Toulalan suspended and Anelka gone home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Is the Mexico - Uruguay game on ITV2 or somewhere. I know that RTE have it online alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

DB10 wrote: »
    Evra was deservedly dropped due to shocking performance and poor behaviour.

6 changes, Gallas hopefully dropped as well for the same reasons as Evra.
    Toulalan suspended and Anelka gone home.

What did Toulalan do? I think he will start as he hasnt been one of the sh*tstirrers. I expect Gourcoff will also start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Looks like a 4-2-3-1

Lloris
    Sagna, Gallas, Squillaci, Clichy
    ---- A Diarra (C), Diaby
    - Valbuena, Gourcuff, Ribéry -
    Cissé

Good to see Gourcuff back in.

An SA line-up yet?

The above line-up is from a french paper, Le Parisien.

EDIT/

Here's the lineups from the Beeb:

France: 1-Hugo Lloris; 2-Bacary Sagna, 5-William Gallas, 17-Sebastien Squillaci, 22-Gael Clichy; 18-Alou Diarra, 19-Abou Diaby, 8-Yoan Gourcuff, 7-Franck Ribery; 11-Andre-Pierre Gignac, 9-Djibril Cisse.

South Africa: 1-Moeneeb Josephs; 5-Anele Ngcongoa, 20-Bongani Khumalo, 4-Aaron Mokoena, 3-Tsepo Masilela, 6-MacBeth Sibaya, 23-Thanduyise Khuboni, 10-Steven Pienaar, 8-Siphiwe Tshabalala, 9-Katlego Mphela, 17-Bernard Parker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

_Bella_ wrote: »
    What did Toulalan do? I think he will start as he hasnt been one of the sh*tstirrers. I expect Gourcoff will also start

He got yellows in the first 2 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

DazMarz wrote: »
    South Africa to win would be nice, but Uruguay and Mexico will probably just draw to make the result of this game a moot point anyway.

depends who the winner and runners up of group a faces, it might be, or definitely not in their interest to draw.

Nice line up, Gallas should really have been dropped though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Just a thing about Gourcuff, he is extremely shy. They say if you want to ask him something, you ask Toulalan to ask the question.

France: 1-Hugo Lloris; 2-Bacary Sagna, 5-William Gallas, 17-Sebastien Squillaci, 22-Gael Clichy; 18-Alou Diarra, 19-Abou Diaby, 8-Yoan Gourcuff, 7-Franck Ribery; 11-Andre-Pierre Gignac, 9-Djibril Cisse.
    South Africa: 1-Moeneeb Josephs; 5-Anele Ngcongoa, 20-Bongani Khumalo, 4-Aaron Mokoena, 3-Tsepo Masilela, 6-MacBeth Sibaya, 23-Thanduyise Khuboni, 10-Steven Pienaar, 8-Siphiwe Tshabalala, 9-Katlego Mphela, 17-Bernard Parker.

Surprised Gallas kept his place! I don't really like Cisse as a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Delighted, Cissé showing Dunphy why he was picked! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

They can still mathematically qualify can't they? Would possibly be the best thing I have ever seen happen in football if they did

Yes mathematically they can still qualify, but it would need a very unlikely combination of results. Mexico and Uruguay are as good as home.

DazMarz wrote: »

The Mexico and Uruguay game could be interesting, I would rather have watched that one. The group runners up will face Argentina, while the winners will have a much easier game, so there's a big incentive to win the group. Uruguay have the better goal difference so they only need a draw, whereas Mexico need to win.

• Advertisement

Will they show the goals from the other game in the middle of the F vs SA on RTE/ITV1??

Is this meant to be the x factor or something...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where the thread for the other game? Anyway if you want to keep an eye out ITV4 is showing it. Could be much flicking back and forth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Is the Mexico - Uruguay game on ITV2 or somewhere. I know that RTE have it online alright

ITV4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hope the Fench knock them out.

Also hope the French go out.

G'wan the draw!

We need Uruguay and Mexico in this tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

SA are pretty poor so I think France will win, even will all their problems.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

MacBeth Sibaya trumps Georgie Welcome for my best-named player of the World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Zidane has been involved a lot over the last few days, he can lift them to a big performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Are they doing the free pizza offer today? :)

Random pizza's. Which leads me to belive that they are just gonna randomly give out codes.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/getafreepizzafrompizzahutdelivery?ref=ts

• Advertisement

Evra, Malouda, Abidal not on the bench. Big sign there of trouble involving these players.

That_Guy wrote: »

Random pizza's. Which leads me to belive that they are just gonna randomly give out codes.

I'd say they are

That_Guy wrote: »

its still to do with when someone scores a goal against france but they cant say that anymore, asked to stop the promotion but they said no, we'll give the pizzas away at a random time.....no prizes for guessing what the random time is!

also the mexico-uruguay game-the whole of mexico seems to be at it, unbelievable support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

France V South Africa on the telly and Mexico v Uruguay on the laptop. Happy days.

Mexico have savage support! :D are you watching france!

SarahBM wrote: »
    France V South Africa on the telly and Mexico v Uruguay on the laptop. Happy days.

Good idea, stream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

DB10 wrote: »
    Evra, Malouda, Abidal not on the bench. Big sign there of trouble involving these players.

Even if they qualify you wont see these players feature again unless injuries mount up. The FFF have a lot to answer, nothing but an embarrassment. I'd say fat head himself Platini is keeping his head low with this all over the press.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Good idea, stream?

RTE are showing France game online. Then watch the other on TV.

Adam

T-b0n3 wrote: »

Adam

na watching it on ITV HD

SarahBM wrote: »

Keep us updated with the Mexico match!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

Those damn vuvuzela's they should be banned forever after this world cup, i have a headache!

no thread for the mexico game, this could get cofusing in here.The mexico game has started fairly lively anyways, neither seems to be playing for the draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

T-b0n3 wrote: »

Adam

France SA game on telly or rte.ie/live

the uruguay game is at rte.ie/worldcup

http://www.rte.ie/sport/worldcup/live.html?-2330,http://dj.rte.ie/vodfeeds/feedgenerator/videos/live/?id=4,flash,255,{name:'WEBONLY_Mexico_v_Uruguay_gaa'}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I just started a Mexico thread as it's the one I'm watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

If the French concede an early goal I can see them completely imploding, otherwise I see them beating Bafana on the break, late on as SA push for a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

France look better than their previous games.

I'm hoping Ribery is better as well cause he hasn't been good at all this world cup.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Get In!!!

get in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

GOAL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Goooooooal!