Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Africa -v- France Group A Free State Stadium, 3pm Irish Time Live on RTE 2/ITV1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

df1985 wrote: »
    to be in a fly on the wall in the french dressing room at half time! where does domenech even start??

I reckon the air will be bleu.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

to be in a fly on the wall in the french dressing room at half time! where does domenech even start??

he doesnt do anything and twiddles his thumb, even if he a had team of Zinedien Zidanes he wouldnt get himself out of this mess.

But if he had a team of Gary Breens :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Sure the manager is only getting what he deserves, Malouda and Evra on left the bench is a joke, top players for their clubs last season.

We know they're top players but in fairness their ability as players has nothing to do with why they're on the bench. But I agree that the manager is certainly getting what he deserves. There will be no tears shed for him here and he's not exactly a popular figure in France either, to put it mildly.

PS what is the exact criteria they're using for qualification in the event of a tie?

What do they look at first? Goal difference? Goals scored? hed-to-head between the teams? Anyone know exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Domnech won't start, he'll be told to shut up by Evra-Henry etc who will make 3 changes I'd say including themselves. Im positive one of Henry, Abidal or Evra will come on now and Domnech won't have a say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

peabutler wrote: »
    Domnech won't start, he'll be told to shut up by Evra-Henry etc who will make 3 changes I'd say including themselves. Im positive one of Henry, Abidal or Evra will come on now and Domnech won't have a say.

Would they even want to come on though? If I was a France player right now I'd be dying to get the hell out of there and go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

ntlbell wrote: »
    flip of a coin

if everything level iirc

either head to head or most goals scored i think

What a great game fair play to South Africa not going out scared just trying their best, obviously its helped playing against 10 men but for a team who dont have the greatest players theyre not playing bad football!!

Diaby at the corner for the first goal was laughable, the guys a giant and watches his man jump above him to head the ball into the net, diaby doesnt even jump lol :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

aidan24326 wrote: »
    We know they're top players but in fairness their ability as players has nothing to do with why they're on the bench. But I agree that the manager is certainly getting what he deserves. There will be no tears shed for him here and he's not exactly a popular figure in France either, to put it mildly.

PS what is the exact criteria they're using for qualification in the event of a tie?

What do they look at first? Goal difference? Goals scored? hed-to-head between the teams? Anyone know exactly?

Goal Difference then Head to head (irrelavent for SA and Mexico) and then goals scored, so if it stays the same in Rustenberg and South Africa win by 4 The Bafana are through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Id like to see SA get another goal. rub salt into the wounds
    coz Im not bitter at all!!! :rolleyes:

that was definitely a red card IMO.

Cissé seems to be the only one trying. show some Spirit FFS! what a terrible attitude.

the positivity of SA is great to see.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

In all fairness, Domenach put out a decent team and made the right choices for this line up. Left out the underperformers and troublemakers.

I knew Gallas should have been dropped though.

At the end of the day the manager can only do so much, these players are at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

the rte analysis is too anti-france

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chipy was very happy to see them go out before kick off, he is a bitter little man!

They need a good Uruguay win really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

_Bella_ wrote: »

Na your just too pro-France:pac:

do people want to see a bafana bafana miracle or mexico through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

SarahBM wrote: »
    that was definitely a red card IMO.

the positivity of SA is great to see.

Theres no way that was a red card Gourcuff was jumping for the ball, yes he went in awkwardly but i cant see him trying to hurt the guy. that kinda of collision happens all the time and nothing is ever said.

Totaly agree with your last point however!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Try watching UTV. They're just having a laugh at France. At least the Irish panel have a reason to be bitter and anti-French.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I can imagine them sitting there in silence.

mike65 wrote: »
    Chipy was very happy to see them go out before kick off, he is a bitter little man!

They need a good Uruguay win really.

Well if the same thing happened to your team England you would be bitter aswell im sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wish people would stop romanticising South Africa.

Kev_ps3, Brady always struck me an an angry fellow.

maloudas on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Considering Brady's involvement in the team, he has every right to resent France's participation in this tournament. In fact, he is doing well to resist burning a French flag live on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Will everyone stop this Brady hates the French bull**** please!

His club is filled with the French and his boss is French, for the hundred time get into your heads!

mike65 wrote: »
    I wish people would stop romanticising South Africa.

And why not!!!!! I would much rather see a team like south africa who are actually playing football and trying! get through than that sorry excuse for a french team. seriously. france dont deserve to be there! not with the awful attitude they have! :mad:

france are a disgrace to the game IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

If Uruguay can score another without reply against Mexico, South Africa can go through if they score one more without reply... I think.

maloudas on!

I dont think he will be able to affect much change though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ahh cisse, the most offside player ive ever seen. i think he might be a woman :/

Sooo close!

And why not!!!!! I would much rather see a team like south africa who are actually playing football and trying! get through than that sorry excuse for a french team. seriously. france dont deserve to be there! not with the awful attitude they have! :mad:

france are a disgrace to the game IMO

If they were playing "great" football as you say then surely they'd be topping the group or coming in second instead of the situation they find themselves in now.

Mexico and Uruguay are better than South Africa and they play better football than SA imo.

It'd be great for the host nation to go through yes, but they're playing a team in turmoil at the moment. Would rather see Uruguay and Mexico in the last 16 who have a better chance of progressing.

As I type.... Should've been 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Playing decent stuff South Africa now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

French commentary needs more Wenger. They're neither scathingly negative nor trying to make the best of it at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

FFS he only needed to dink it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Shocking effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Was he not offside?

And how did he miss?!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭BrandonFlowers

thierry handball comin on... interesting!

Jazzy wrote: »
    ahh cisse, the most offside player ive ever seen. i think he might be a woman :/

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

lol.. ITV commentators wondering aloud that not too many tears are being shed in Ireland... he'd be right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    lol.. ITV commentators wondering aloud that not too many tears are being shed in Ireland... he'd be right!

i'd hope most of Ireland simply doesn't give a sh*t at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Lol Domenech bringing on Henry for Cisse, chasing a two goal lead. He's hilarious.

SlickRic wrote: »

yeah because it was 100 years ago after all:rolleyes:

thierry handball comin on... interesting!

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

you would think that if France dont want to play for their manager they would at least want to do it for the fans. they are not even trying. :mad:

That_Guy - Forget a team in turmoil as the excuse. its of their own making.

come on South Africa!!!

Tshabalala is much better in this game, against Uraguay he kept trying to go for glory himself. Makes you wonder how many goals Uraguay could have scored if they hadn't gone out with the defensive mindset.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    yeah because it was 100 years ago after all:rolleyes:

We're not there, we won't be there and France are going home. Shush now and eat your pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭BrandonFlowers

SlickRic wrote: »

no no, wouldn't care that our chance of qualifying was taken away by cheating scum who then went to S.A played like they didn't give f**k and went on strike before leaving in the 1st round!

sure why would that be a bittr pill to swallow?

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Tshabalala is much better in this game, against Uraguay he kept trying to go for glory himself. Makes you wonder how many goals Uraguay could have scored if they hadn't gone out with the defensive mindset.

I was just going to post that I was impressed with him today. Plays with Kaiser Chiefs but I could see him doing well in a mid-table Premiership team.

Accordin to BBC Mexico are really struggling in Rustenburg, I wouldn't be surprised if Uruguay got another. If they do, South Africa would only need to score once more.

Why is Henry captain now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

South Africa have been good. Hopefully they can get at least 1 more goal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ribéry's value just keeps going down and down.

you would think that if France dont want to play for their manager they would at least want to do it for the fans. they are not even trying. :mad:

That_Guy - Forget a team in turmoil as the excuse. its of their own making.

come on South Africa!!!

It's the manager who simply can't drive the players on. They're not guilty over what happened in Paris.. think I read that in some rag. They have a serious lack of belief in that team stemming from the manager.

They need a huge change there. I agree, the players don't look bothered and that's criminal especially when you should be proud to play for your country and your fans.

no no, wouldn't care that our chance of qualifying was taken away by cheating scum who then went to S.A played like they didn't give f**k and went on strike before leaving in the 1st round!

sure why would that be a bittr pill to swallow?

:D:D:D:D

Out of curiosity who scored for France that night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ok, i was as angry as anyone at the time.

but let's as a nation, be mature and move on.

we can take enjoyment in them losing, absolutely, but they didn't do anything that our players didn't admit themselves that they would do.

so let's leave 'scum' out of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement