Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Africa -v- France Group A Free State Stadium, 3pm Irish Time Live on RTE 2/ITV1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Some people can't seem to distinguish between a bit of craic and outright xenophobia.
    Spot on. Ive nothing against the French people. Its not like they occupied our county and killed our people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Frisbee wrote: »
    Unfortunately that is how many people will remember him and it will tarnish his image when people think back on his career in ten years. Instead of being though of as one of the greats he will always be though of as the guy who cheated. Sad really...

Only by fools who don't really know football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Sherifu wrote: »
    BEST. DAY. EVER.

Let not over-do it now.:rolleyes:

Sherifu wrote: »
    BEST. DAY. EVER.

IRELAND WON THE WORLD CUP! WOHOO!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Unfortunately that is how many people will remember him and it will tarnish his image when people think back on his career in ten years. Instead of being though of as one of the greats he will always be though of as the guy who cheated. Sad really...

self inflicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

One last image of the man on the biggest stage of them all.

1254728_full-prt.jpg

Seems like only yesterday he came to the fore in France '98 v the Saudis.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Spot on. Ive nothing against the French people. Its not like they occupied our county and killed our people.

Will you just be serious for a moment......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Dean820 wrote: »
    Let not over-do it now.:rolleyes:
    IRELAND WON THE WORLD CUP! WOHOO!! :D

Going home happy now, unlike France. :pac:

Why does it have to be one or the other? I think every soccer fan will remember him as one of the greats, along with being a cheat!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

According to RTE Domench apologised during the press conference, said that he was a proud French man and wished the players all the best for the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

But it is his own fault. And I don't mean just for the handball.

Didn't Henry do a Rivaldo at the last World Cup and pretend Puyol hit him in the face when it was nowhere near it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Why does it have to be one or the other? I think every soccer fan will remember him as one of the greats, along with being a cheat!

The majority of Irish fans will remember him as a cheat I reckon, along with a lot of other fans. His footballing ability will be the second thing that's remembered.

Of course, and mores the pity, one moment of madness has tarnished what should be the end of a glittering career.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Best player I ever seen anyway. One handball means **** to me. Keane handled it 4 times in the same match.

And by damn do I dislike Robbie " I can move my arms in 10 different ways" Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Xavi6 wrote: »
    One last image of the man on the biggest stage of them all.

1254728_full-prt.jpg

Seems like only yesterday he came to the fore in France '98 v the Saudis.

This tournament is a fitting end to his career at the highest level of football.

All we need now is the French public and media to turn on him and blame the lack of morale and cohesion in the squad on the fuss made about how they qualified.

I think Blanc has a big job on his hands but a potentially extremely rewarding one. Plenty of talented French players coming through in lots of positions. France have needed this rebuild with the NT for many years. Domestic league is more competitive and looking stronger. I hope to see them all playing in harmony under Blanc and restoring pride for the country whilst impressing with good football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think England fans who complain about the Maradona handball to this day are just having a bit of a laugh. Maradona is like a panto villain.

Indeed, he was a cheat then a drugged out fool but now I kinda like his "up yours world" madness. I hope they do quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

peabutler wrote: »
    Englighten me as to how you know this for sure again :confused:

Because all of those incidents were significantly earlier in the match.
    The nature of the handball was greatly affected by the time it occured in the match.
    Had they done it 15 mins from the start of the match, I'd say it'd be less a deal for most people.
    Either way, i edited my post clarifying that I blame Henry/the french less than I blame McShane for woeful 'defending'quote.gif

For what then?

Don't recall that Puyol incident myself.

Regardless he will go down as one of the greatest players of the modern era. Just like Maradona has despite his bigger issues and Ronaldo will despite his arrogance and regular cheating.

This tournament is a fitting end to his career at the highest level of football.

Eh....mistake or are you just stupid?

Of course, and mores the pity, one moment of madness has tarnished what should be the end of a glittering career.

Well for one thing it wasn't a moment of madness. Handballs happen like that in lots of games often. As Robbie Keane illustrated. It was only poignant because of the match it was and it happened in extra time and the UEFA circus trying to get France qualified.

• Advertisement

Plus the thing about the Marradonna hand ball is that it wasn't just that which beat England in 86. There was the small matter of the greatest goal ever scored.

There was just no way England were beating Argentina that day, hand of god or not. Whereas Ireland looked to have a genuine chance of winning.

DB10 wrote: »
    Eh....mistake or are you just stupid?

Feeling stupid at the moment because I have no idea what your issue with that post is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if his career is to be be defined by one incident, yes.

if it's defined by the talent he had, and the joy he gave many with how good he was, then it's a very sad end to his international career; and with his imminent move to the MLS, career in the top-tier of football.

personally the latter makes more sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Domenech is the definition of the term 'loser'. No other man has the ability to make me actually cringe every time I see him on TV. It's unbelievable how out of his depth he is. He hasn't a notion how to manage a gifted football team, he proposes to and subsequently gets shot down by his gf on national TV. He has the charisma of a wet packet of waffles.

To rubber stamp it all, by refusing to shake Perreiras hand he has confirmed to the world that he has about as much class as a bag of ****.

For what then?

Regardless he will go down as one of the greatest players of the modern era. Just like Maradona has despite his bigger issues and Ronaldo will despite his arrogance and regular cheating.

Ah you can't be comparing Maradonna and Henry.

Don't get me wrong, Henry has been a very good player but was not in Maradonna's class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Well done Mexico and Uruguay. By a distance, the two better teams!

Feeling stupid at the moment because I have no idea what your issue with that post is.

How is this tournament a fitting end to such a magnificent players career?

France were rubbish and he didn't even start.

Some people...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Henry was one of the greatest players ever to grace the Premiership. The hand ball will be a big part of his legacy in the game but it should not overshadow what came before. No one should forget the skill he displayed and the goals he scored. He is one of the greats of the modern game but will live with a deserved tarnished reputation.

Ah you can't be comparing Maradonna and Henry.

Don't get me wrong, Henry has been a very good player but was not in Maradonna's class.

He's below him slightly. But I'm just trying to show that even though Maradona scored a goal against a far bigger nation and dabbled in drugs for several years, it is his ability that will be remembered.

The same with Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

We are being pretty hypocritical here we despise the French yet we don't mind the Brazilians who did the same against the Ivory Cpast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Amen.
    I believe Robbie Keane got called on 3 or 4 handballs in that very match.
    Had one of them slipped the ref's eye and went in our favour there'd be no moanin.
    I wonder why Robbie Keane was penalised for his handballs but Henry wasn't for his double hand-ball? FIFA wanted France in the World Cup rather than unfashionable Ireland and its great what a disaster they have been. I'd love to ask Henry now "Was it worth it?"

He's below him slightly. But I'm just trying to show that even though Maradona scored a goal against a far bigger nation and dabbled in drugs for several years, it is his ability that will be remembered.

The same with Henry.

Ah ok. I'd argue it's a bit more than slightly but I get what you mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

its one ****in handball-i'd imagine there literally isn't a striker in the world who hasn't done the same thing. anyone who lets it overshadow his legacy is a ****in idiot.

He has always been a cheating scumbag.

Jigga wrote: »
    I wonder why Robbie Keane was penalised for his handballs but Henry wasn't for his double hand-ball? FIFA wanted France in the World Cup rather than unfashionable Ireland and its great what a disaster they have been. I'd love to ask Henry now "Was it worth it?"

Not sure when Sepp Blatter started reffing games, I''l have to look that up.

Maybe explain why France didn't get a stonewall penalty in the game when Anelka was hacked down??

May just leave this thread, was interesting but too many bitter pathetic people just popping in with biased nonsense.

He has always been a cheating scumbag.

OMG WOW WOW WOW :eek:

HENRY ACTUALLY DIVED IN A FOOTBALL MATCH OMG

JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER PLAYER ON EARTH

:eek:

It's not the dive. It's pretending that puyol hit him in the face and trying to get him sent off. Just like Rivaldo, except Henry didn't get punished for it.

SlickRic wrote: »
    if his career is to be be defined by one incident, yes.

if it's defined by the talent he had, and the joy he gave many with how good he was, then it's a very sad end to his international career; and with his imminent move to the MLS, career in the top-tier of football.

personally the latter makes more sense to me.

I am delighted that his career at the highest level of football has ended in such an anti climax. He should never have been in this world cup but in fully suspect that he and the rest of that team justified the means by the end.

For him to play virtually no part in the tournament, for them to be embarrassed by considerably lesser teams, for them to be knocked out in the first round and for them to effectively highlight to the whole world why he and they should not even be playing in the tournament fills me with joy.

He has bowed out of international football in virtually the worst fashion possible for a player of his stature and a representative of a nation steeped in such success. Delighted!

I was at the match in Paris and I will never forget how i felt that night. I am hoping he feels a bit of that bright now.

_Bella_ wrote: »
    We are being pretty hypocritical here we despise the French yet we don't mind the Brazilians who did the same against the Ivory Cpast

Im not from the Ivory Coast.

• Advertisement

Not only is he a cheat but he is also a hypocrite. This is what he said after Arsenal lost Champions League final to Barca:
    You have to be fair in football - you have to be honest and well done to you if you've won, but you have to win in a good way

I hope he enjoys winding his career down in America or whatever mediocre league that will take him.

How is this tournament a fitting end to such a magnificent players career?

France were rubbish and he didn't even start.

Some people...:rolleyes:

Exactly. Jeez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I hope he enjoys winding his career down in America or whatever mediocre league that will take him.

I'm sure he will...

$$$

Dear me, I thought this bitterness would stop. It has been 7 months and still hatred and vile.

Will these crap comments continue when he goes to the MLS I wonder.

I was boiling with rage when it happened but some people really need to get a life at this stage, it's embarrassing and no I'm not talking about you sparrow...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Edit: case in point ^

This group finished up just the way I wanted. France going home bottom and the two best footballing sides progress to next round.

Loved the comments from the "get over yourselves about the french thing" camp - tssh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Not only is he a cheat but he is also a hypocrite. This is what he said after Arsenal lost Champions League final to Barca:

I hope he enjoys winding his career down in America or whatever mediocre league that will take him.[/QUOTE]

You should at least criticise Pele, Beckenbauer, Best, etc. for that too!

• Advertisement

That is really why I dislike Henry so much. He was a complete hypocrite. He strolled around at Arsenal like he was holier than thou and was appalled at any cheating or bad tackles and yet he tried to get Puyol sent off in that clip and also blatantly cheated against Ireland.

In a bizarre way, I can actually respect Maradonna and other players that have cheated because at least they never tried to portray themselves as saints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Anyone that thinks France will suddenly improve now Domenech is gone are wrong. Domenech divided the team but so did other players like Malouda, Evra, Ribery and Abidal. If I was in Blanc's position I would not select them until they actually cop on and treat everyone in the squad with respect. The players destablised the team as much as Domenech did.

Heh jigga

Alex Ferguson
    I wouldn't sell Madrid a virus

Several transfers between the clubs later....

Everyone in football is a hypocrite if you scrutinise them closely. But why bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

you don't have to look so far away from home to find a hypocrite-weren't we awarded a phantom penalty against Georgia in this world cup qualification campaign. Didn't see peoples indignation spewing all over the shop about that.

That is really why I dislike Henry so much. He was a complete hypocrite. He strolled around at Arsenal like he was 2holier than thou and was appalled at any cheating or bad tackles and yet he tried to get Puyol sent off in that clip and also blatantly cheated against Ireland.

In a bizarre way, I can actually respect Maradonna and other players that have cheated because at least they never tried to portray themselves as saints.

Accidental handball is not blatantly cheating. If anything the Puyol incident was worse.

He is the most honest player I have ever seen.

Look up Wayne "I never dive" Rooney or Steven " Diving is a terrible act" Gerrard.

If you think Henry is in anyway worse than Maradona you are bonkers. Not in ability btw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement