Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to make cider

• 22-06-2010 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭

Looks like we'll be getting a bumper haul of apples this year. We have 7 apple trees in the back garden and already they are full of fruit. Usually we do nothing with the apples. Some get eaten most fall on the ground and get left there.

But this year i have decided i want to make cider, real natural cider. Gonna get myself a fruit pressand do it properly. Only thing is i have read so many different ways of making cider! I am unsure which to go with.

Have any of you guys made cider from apples? Can you give me advice?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its hard work but it can be done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Thats one of the ones i was looking at. It looks like hard work. Plus i don't really want to use a wooden barrel. Is it possible to make it in a Fermenting bin? And quicker then 8months?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

YOu could buy it in kit form but then you'd be missing out on using your own apples.
    Why not make apple wine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

piss in a glass

clived2 wrote: »
    piss in a glass

Genius. I'm sure this will win post of the day! Give yourself a pat on the back!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

Are you suggesting, people actually go about posting,
    just to get post of the day

clived2 wrote: »
    Are you suggesting, people actually go about posting,
    just to get post of the day

No I am suggesting your post was unhelpful and the work of an idiot!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Lots of threads on cider over at Irish Craft Brewer. I really like this website it has loads of info on real cider making. You don't need a wooden barrel. A beer or wine fermenter will do the job nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Was thinking of making beer for a while now but i think ill try a bit of cider first and see how i get on.
    yeah, about 100g brew sugar or 150g of normal granulated with the lidl juice should give you a 1050 - 1060 SG for a 7-8% brew
    I use the Lidl ' Vitafit ' 100% juice concentrate 80p for 1.5l
    Normally finishes fermentingin 4-5 days depending on sugar and temperature.
    I generally bottle it afte 7-10 days and start to drink it after 14 days.

Is that really how long it takes? I thought cider took 2 or 3 months to mature? Would this be even drinkable after such a short period of time?

Also fermenting. Would using large mayo tubs from cafes work after sanitising ect.?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement