Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spar and Eurospar

Options
  • 22-06-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

During the exams, I often went to the Spar to buy part of my lunch - which was a packet of popcorn. At 60c, you cant go wrong. I would also head off to another shop to buy a big bar of Galazy or Dairy Milk, whichever my heart desired for only E1.25.

In this Spar, there were often deals like the ones on now "Buy two Aero bars for E1". I went to a Eurospar yesterday, to find that this deal was now "Buy two Aero bars for E1.20"
    I bought a big packet of Magic Stars [the big bags] after space hopping in town on Sunday. I was starving like, so it was E2. This deal wasn't even in the Eurospar. It was like 2.65 or something for them.
    Remember my popcorrn I bought for 60c? It was 70c in the Eurospar, and alot of other small things had their price raised too.

Now, I'm not saying the Spar I go to near my school is the best - I often notice that deals where I buy say "3 items for E1" are "4 items for E1" in my local Spar.

Are the Spar company right to rip us off like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Prob not Spar, but shop owner setting his store prices as to what he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Technically they are 2 sperate chains so they are allowed charge different prices. Eurospar doesn't have to charge the same prices as Spar does.
    Thansk for bringing this up your the first person to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

just a general note, beware of Eurospar and their offers and make sure that they don't overcharge you for something that should have been included in an offer.
    The Eurospar in Passage West is bad for this, I don't think they mean to do it but it's just that they are so badly managed that the offers aren't registered with the POS system.
    As usual, keep an eye on your receipts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Most spars, eurospars, centras, galas, londis etc are independent local businesses. Their common bond is by being part of a group they get advantage of marketing and buying power.

The benefit for the consumer is usually a guarantee of quality in terms of service and presentaion.

Sometimes national offers are advertised and the various stores are advised to participate, but cannot be forced to.

That's where it the connection ends and pricing may be recommended by the overall head of the franchise, it legally is totally out of their hands. - A small local spar operator may own his store and take a smaller profit, whereas a larger store may be paying a high rent + high rates - but it is totally up to the local operator to charge what he wants for any product in the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

91011 wrote: »
    Most spars, eurospars, centras, galas, londis etc are independent local businesses. Their common bond is by being part of a group they get advantage of marketing and buying power.

The benefit for the consumer is usually a guarantee of quality in terms of service and presentaion.

Sometimes national offers are advertised and the various stores are advised to participate, but cannot be forced to.

That's where it the connection ends and pricing may be recommended by the overall head of the franchise, it legally is totally out of their hands. - A small local spar operator may own his store and take a smaller profit, whereas a larger store may be paying a high rent + high rates - but it is totally up to the local operator to charge what he wants for any product in the shop.

Just to add to the above, any small local retailer who opened in the last 3 years will be getting crucified by high bills and seriously reduced turnover.

A lot of the stores are privately owned and do not have to charge a set price for anything. To demand so, is a breach of the competition act for price fixing. There is no connection between the prices at a Spar and a Eurospar.

The head office company involved (BWG) have no say in shops retail prices. On nationally advertised offers, they can only request compliance.

A lot of the adverts for special offers normally include "at participating stores"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Brendog wrote: »
    Technically they are 2 sperate chains so they are allowed charge different prices. .

Even if they were 2 of the same shop next door to each other owned by the same person they could charge different prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

Stekelly wrote: »
    Even if they were 2 of the same shop next door to each other owned by the same person they could charge different prices.

Dont you know by now anything with EURO in the name always cost / charge more..... not sure of where you are but let them know by useing your feet and walking by them to another shop as well as what you are doing here name and shame them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

meolwan wrote: »
    Dont you know by now anything with EURO in the name always cost / charge more..... not sure of where you are but let them know by useing your feet and walking by them to another shop as well as what you are doing here name and shame them.

I think thats the silliest,most irrelevant post on the boards website !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If I were you I'd revise my diet before anything else...

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

I think thats the silliest,most irrelevant post on the boards website !

Thanks superscouse I do my best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Spars are for the most part independently run businesses and can charge what they want. The Spar in Clonskeagh was found to be most expensive convenience store in Ireland according to the SBP a few years back. Yet, it is always busy. Until people vote with their feet the owner is under no obligation to offer better prices. Why would they?

Advertisement