Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handlebar/ top tube bag for touring

Options
  • 22-06-2010 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've gone and bought a Zzing to charge my iPhone 3GS whilst touring. I have a SON hub already, so I'm hoping the Zzing is the answer to successfully using the iPhone's GPS and Google Maps whilst on the road.

The Zzing comes with a handlebar mount but the device itself is only water repellent, not designed to withstand a heavy rain shower. So...... I'm thinking of either a small handlebar bag (also handy for the camera, food, etc) or a top tube bag as I've seen on some time trial bikes.

I've had a handlebar bag before, but found it rather 'bouncy'. Does anyone have any thoughts?

I'm thinking of:

ortlieb%20ult%205%20comp%20ind.jpg
    Ortlieb Ultimate 5 Compact Bar Bag

or

p014164.jpg
    Topeak TriBag All Weather Bag

Also, I'm looking for a minimalist mount for the iPhone 3GS. For use with the Zzing, I need clear access for the USB charging interface. Any thoughts?

Regards,

DFD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I have that bag. If you get out of the saddle to climb your knee can rub off the velcro and scratch your skin. I suppose I could put a bit of tape over the offending velcro.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I don't think many bento bags are that waterproof. They are also quite small although you would probably get an iPhone in. A frame bag might be better- this is one of the jobs that goes in the frame triangle.

As to the bar bag I use a €10 one I got from Decathlon which attached quickly with Velcro. Not using it on touring bike at the moment though due to my brake cable routing getting in the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 colm ó maonaigh

I bought this a few weeks ago for touring. A little pricey but I liked the idea of the added space with the 2 side pockets for food etc. So far have only used the centre pocket which fits ipod, phone, allen keys and headphones.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390196291502&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:IE:1123

No noticable sideways movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Frenchdude

maybe this item should do the job:
    http://www.dahon.com/accessories/2010/biologic-bike-mount-iphone

By the way, do you know where I can find a dynamo hub in ireland, and where I can get help to build my wheel with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Frenchdude wrote: »
    maybe this item should do the job:
    http://www.dahon.com/accessories/2010/biologic-bike-mount-iphone

By the way, do you know where I can find a dynamo hub in ireland, and where I can get help to build my wheel with it ?

Thanks. That looks perfect!

I bought my Schmidt SON hub from Ben in Kinetics. In fact, he built my two dynamo wheels for me. I'd happily recommend him.

From a shipping perspective, it might be cheaper to have him ship the hub and have it built here. Mr. Skeffington on here should be able to help with the build.

DFD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement