Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place for Sony dslr repair?

• 22-06-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

... that's not shockingly expensive or slow?

My A200 took a knock a while back and it's been making odd rattling noises when switched on [supposed to vibrate when switched off] - plus the VF is mis-aligned.

I just worked away with it for the past few weeks, because I've been busy with fund raising and other stuff. And probably not taking as many pics as I used to. But now I discover I've been using it with the body IS more than likely broken [no wonder my shots weren't as sharp!, though it does mean I did not too bad without it] - Plus the VF thing. I have to allow for space top of the frame to compensate for how off it is.

I know it'll cost a bomb to get fixed, but no harm finding out. Has anyone a good contact/suggestion for Sony dslr repair? meath/Dublin preferably. Somewhere genuine that won't take the P price-wise, and won't take more than a week to repair. Asking a lot I know.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

As far as I know the "official" Sony Repair agent is MF Services in Cork, but there is an €80 deposit and they send it to Sony in the UK, I was told typical repair time is 2-4 weeks depending on the amount of work required.

Other than that if you look at the posts over the past week I think there were several places mentioned for Camera repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Yikes! €80 deposit. Safe to assume then, that it would not be cheap. Probably better off to buy another used body?

I think I'll just switch off IS for now and cope with it.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If you do buy another used body this might be the opportunity to switch to a brand with more second hand lenses available, since you were talking about the lack of sony ones before.

Somewhere down the line I probably will do. But I have 3 lenses for the Sony now, covering most of my needs. And I do love the camera. It's just unfortunate it got that one knock :( - I also passed up on buying a very cheap A100 a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

I just bought an A100 there a few days ago and waiting on it in the post. I have a few brands of DSLR's and wanted to test sony out so if I dont like the feel of it etc... will I give you a shout?
    Also Im not in any way a sony tech but I could give it a look and see what I can do? I have good success so far so I might be able to help you out.
    PM me if you are interested or something.

Cheers

• Advertisement

What did you pay for the A100? And what lenses? My biggest sore point right now is that i just bought another lens, through adverts. A 70-300 zoom, not so great without the SSS :( But it also means I'm a bit skint.

Would definitely be interested in the gear if you don't like, maybe we could come to some arrangement? I'm good, a few purchases through adverts at this stage and I'm sure the sellers would vouch for me :)

There was no IS on my old bridge cam, and I survived a year with that. But that weighed little so it was easier hold it steady. The zoom lens I just bought weighs over 500g, coupled with the body that also weighs in over 500g, try holding a bag of sugar dead steady for a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

I bought it for 180 including postage for the body on its own. I was going to borrow a lens off someone to test it out and see if it was worth investing in a good lens for it. ( a bit unprepared I know :S)

Im having second thoughts on actually buying the sony gear as I already have a good few canon lenses and 2 bodies plus some Nikon gear that I bought to have a go at but the in built stabilisation attracted me.

would you like me to take a look at the body you have? I repair stuff so it would be interesting to have a go at a Sony.

Actually I always found that because my current bodies and lenses are heavier there is less shake in general while holding it although I can only hold it steady for so long with the weight of it haha.
    There is a great trick you can use that is basically using a piece of twine looped around in a triangle from your two feet up to the tripod mount tied on a bolt or a tripod quick detach plate so when you hold the camera the twine is taught and keeps the shake down.

Appreciate the offer of a fix, but I'd want to be sure it didn't get worse, I'm sure you understand that :) At the moment I have the SSS switched off, but the sensor is still mis-aligned. Very annoying, especially for off the cuff shots. t's hit and miss whether I cut out something significant, like the top of someone's head - because I hadn't time to be fiddling with framing the shot.

If you end up not wanting that A100 body let me know. I'm a bit skint, as I said, just bought a zoom lens and had to save for that [hard times] - but maybe we could come to a deal. I have a lowepro bag that doesn't hold more than one lens if you wanted a spare on the go bag, maybe you'd shave something off the price of the body in part exchange? Bag was €38, just a few weeks old.

Advertisement