Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Studies

• 22-06-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Just wodnering what drawings has everyone bein advised to pay particular attention on ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭sKepTics_George

Suspended timber floor and fireplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

But fireplace came up in 2008 :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

ive given up hope on this subject so none lol. no one in the class knows anything and i doubt anyone will study for it :(.

but i hear the stairs is predicted ??

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

ive afew questions too

when doing free hand sketches can you use a ruler and will you be docked marks if you do use a ruler

what size do the free hand sketches have to be? 3 lines or half a page?

how much are you expected to write for an answer? a couple of lines? half a page? a few pages?

our teacher believes that construction is just commen sense and everyone should just know it. and so never did a single exam question, hardly touched any topic on the course, he maybe did stairs for a class. the muppet icon8.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

UglyFuc wrote: »
    our teacher believes that construction is just commen sense and everyone should just know it. and so never did a single exam question, hardly touched any topic on the course, he maybe did stairs for a class. the muppet icon8.gif
    Same as! :( unlike most of my class, Ive never worked on a building site, or had any experience with the "manly" tasks that make up pretty much all of the construction course, so I have none of that "common sense"! Im screwededed! :eek: :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Dmore93

Its a very easy exam :D you should be looking to get an A in this exam :) If you know a window, roof, stairs, suspended timber floor anf fireplace you should be ok. Its very easy to learn off drawings. Im banking on U values, Heating system, Deign and Site safety to comes up. Im sure at least 2 out of the four of them will come up.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

ajjmk wrote: »
    Same as! :( unlike most of my class, Ive never worked on a building site, or had any experience with the "manly" tasks that make up pretty much all of the construction course, so I have none of that "common sense"! Im screwededed! :eek: :L

exact same for me... like it took me over a year to find out what a stud wall is sur :o:o that's only the beginning like... but i still managed to get one of the highest results in the mocks somehow because i listen to everything my teacher said and all the "builders" knew it all so they spent the class acting the eijit and craic like that... learn u values.. and just try and use any bit of common sense to answer safety questions and things like that..

drawings... yeah........ there hard especially when you've never seen the yoke in real life so... stairs are easyish but saying that if you actually seen a stairs being put in it'd be sooooo much easier.. same goes for all the drawings

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

Dmore93 wrote: »
    Its a very easy exam :D you should be looking to get an A in this exam :) If you know a window, roof, stairs, suspended timber floor anf fireplace you should be ok. Its very easy to learn off drawings. Im banking on U values, Heating system, Deign and Site safety to comes up. Im sure at least 2 out of the four of them will come up.:D

did timber floor not come up last year :confused: it wil hardly come up twice

which part of the window? theres window cills, jambes, 2 types of heads

and then theres foundations, chimneys, doors, different types of roofs

i agree with the u value and site safety

Another thing, how do you do an actual drawing? for a scale of 1:10 for a stairs, divide all the measurements by 10 so the thread which is 25 divide by 10 which is 2.5 mm on the page? what do ya do?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dmore93

Another thing, how do you do an actual drawing? for a scale of 1:10 for a stairs, divide all the measurements by 10 so the thread which is 25 divide by 10 which is 2.5 mm on the page? what do ya do?:(

Ya well in 2007 or 2006 the previous exam had a window for question 1 and a door for the other drawing question and just reversed then in the next year so anythings possible. Q1 will be straight forward and wont be too difficult as it is mandatory. Ya if its scale of 1:10 just divide by 10. I wouldnt be worrying about measurments tho, of course you must know them but if you cant remember a measurment just use an intellegent guess :P they are not going to measure the drawing. I will do both drawing questions because they are very easy to get full marks on. So if you want to do well know all your drawings and u values and its 3 questions down and if site safety and and design comes up A1 here we come :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

if it's 1:10 then yes 2.5mm... but like there not going to be out with a micro mililimeter ruler or something in fairness so.. just go half way between 2 and 3 and it'll be ok... if it looks right it's ok... it's not a DCG exam so....

but have the measurements in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭sKepTics_George

Hey, what pencil am I supposed to use for the drawings.
    ( HB, 2H etc ? )

Advertisement