Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating and publish a website

Options
  • 22-06-2010 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi there,

I wish to create and publish a very simple website. Basically, it will only display text and will not require storing user input. I would like a .ie domain but I will probaby go with .com as it is cheaper. With regards to publishing the website what do i need to do? Do I pay for a domain name first then get someone to host it? There appears to be a number of free web hosting websites, are these OK? safe? or should I go with a provider that will host my site for a minumum amount like www.irishwebservers.ie that will do it for €1.95 per month? I would really appreciate it if you pointed me on the right path here.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What is the website for? If this is for a business, then I would think twice about doing everything for the lowest possible price.

Check the details of the free hosting services. They might inject adverts onto your pages, and it might be dog slow as well.

You can get the domain name independently of the hosting, though some providers might offer a combined package.

PS - I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've seen perfume being given away as a bonus for a hosting account!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

OP you normally get the domin and hosting package at the same time from the hosing company.
    you will also get cheap and good deals from a couple of the american and uk but dont know any names to recommend.

as regards creating a website look at learning some HTML and css and creating html files its quiet easy. for a more professional level of website you might need to learn some content managment system

Either way look at how websites are put together visually as in the design of the site.

Creating a website is quiet easy. creating one that people want to read is a bit harder. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm going to have to start getting a lot less lenient when it comes to people recommending hosts I think...

Please be aware that hosting provider specific discussion is not allowed on this forum. Please read the linked thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 feelo

Thanks Eoin and Sheesh,

Aidan, I am not looking for specific recommendations. I am simply looking for guidance in creating and publishing a website and the steps taken by people in general. With regards to the providers I am looking for people's take on free hosting and would it be better to pay a nominal fee for a provider. The website is for a charity organisation so the lesser spent the better, and I'm doing it as a favour. So basically I am looking for information on the most economical and hassle free solution. Its a very simple website explaing what the organisation is about contact details etc. There will be at the most only a couple of pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Aidan, I am not looking for specific recommendations.
    True enough, but others were giving them. The warning is for the benefit of everyone, not just you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

ok so.

you have an organisation, you want to put together a site that gives some info and contact details about the organisation.

a totally free option would be something like facebook or another social networking site. I have seen people putting what looks like their facebookpage on a domain but I have no idea how that is done.

someone might donate webspace to you. give you 10 megs of their webspace and let you off to put up your site there (you would not really need that much, for 5 pages with the large images on a free image hosting site a couple of 100Kbytes would be enough)

they could edit their DNS so that your domain name points to that folder. it would have all the appearences of a website but someoneelse would be paying for the hosting.

or just pay for hosting yourself
    can you create html files yourself? if so good

if not you could find someone to do it for free if its a charity.

give me a shout if you want a hand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 feelo

Thanks Sheesh,

I have programming experience (that's why I'm being asked to do this!) but unfortunately from a web devel. side of things. I can mock up the HTML myself, I was just unsure of the process of publishing etc. If I run into trouble I'll give you a shout. Many thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

What you will need (regardless of cost):
    Domain Name
    Hosting Space
    Website files.

You can develop you files locally and upload via FTP to your server.

Depending on your website needs you can also install something like Wordpress and apply a theme (again either free or paid or custom made).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 SamB64

Seems to me if you need something more than a Squidoo lens, then the easiest way is to choose and approprate domain, get hosting in the country which your business will be seeking clients in, (choose a supplier with wordpress set up wizard) and use wordpress to build your site.

You can always come back aand create something else later but this mehod will have you up and running in 24 hrs.

Sam.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

feelo wrote: »
    minumum amount like www.irishwebservers.ie that will do it for €1.95 per month?

Not a recommendation for a specific provider but beware a hosting provider that doesn't publish and details about the "company". I note above there are no contact details of any sort. The support is only available through a web form.

Correction: There is an obfuscated mobile number on their support page:
    OPERATIONS CENTRE
    Operations Centre provides 7-day sales and support by helpful & friendly staff. Contact us through through email using the 'Contact Page' on our website, or telephone: 08791 74204 .

Always make sure you are dealing with a real person/company. Phone them before you buy (at least to make sure the phones are picked up).

Beware any provider who offers "UNLIMITED" anything - there is no such thing as unlimited resources.

There are a lot of small "companies" hosting that are simply reselling reseller accounts, so buyer beware.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

fcrossen wrote: »
    Not a recommendation for a specific provider but beware a hosting provider that doesn't publish and details about the "company". I note above there are no contact details of any sort. The support is only available through a web form.

I would say this applies to any sort of business, there should be contact details displayed somewhere on the site and ideally on a contact us page where its easy to find.

@fcrossen - Probably worth checking your own website for the same suggestions. I cant see any contact details on the site in your signature apart from a web form which makes the above comments you made kind of amusing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Legally speaking all Irish and EU companies are meant to provide tangible contact details on their websites ie. physical address, phone number etc.,

There's no sign of a privacy policy or much else either ..

I cannot find any of those on that site - if they are there they are very well hidden

Axwell wrote: »
    @fcrossen - Probably worth checking your own website for the same suggestions. I cant see any contact details on the site in your signature apart from a web form which makes the above comments you made kind of amusing. :D

You are of course absolutely right!
    :o

However there is a method in my madness: I work for mostly for web designers and IT companies, and avoid taking on web projects directly (unless referred to me). Basically I don't want to be competing with 16 year old kids with a ripped of copy of Dreamweaver. SeeIT.org is more a portfolio site.

There is a world of a difference between me and a hosting company. You will generally want to meet me and have a consultation before even thinking about hiring me. Once the job is finished you have an application based on open source tools and a license for any proprietary code and optionally a maintenance agreement. If I bugger off on you you have your code, your license and any competent developer will be able to take over.

As far as hosting companies go, if they are doing their job properly you should never have to deal with them after signup. A properly provisioned web server will just "do what it says on the tin". The real test comes when you have a problem that requires the intervention of an administrator and need it QUICKLY. It is only then that you find out how good they are in a bind.

Still not concerned? Look at this forum and check out some of the "web hosting company for sale" ads: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97. Some of the "companies" for sale are no better than the "16-year-old-web-designer-wannabee-with-a-ripped-off-copy-of-Dreamweaver" (with apologies to 16 year olds and wannabee designers)!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

As Blacknight said, although I think it applies specifically to LTD companies, they are supposed to declare their details on the site, including VAT number and RBN. When you come across the hosting company above there is nothing at all there to tell you anything about them.

My hosting company happens to be Blacknight and at the minute in time I could pick up the phone and dial their offices, contact them using online chat support, email them or even contact them on twitter or facebook and all these are clearly labelled on their site. This should be the case with any professional business. When a website doesnt have any contact details on their site it suggests they have something to hide or they are not running a professional operation and alarm bells should start ringing.

...I think it applies specifically to LTD companies, they are supposed to declare their details on the site, including VAT number and RBN...
    Correct: RBN (if a company) and VAT (if registered for VAT).
    This should be the case with any professional business. When a website doesnt have any contact details on their site it suggests they have something to hide or they are not running a professional operation and alarm bells should start ringing.
    As always caveat emptor.

Advertisement