Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths: Which Questions will you be answering?

• 22-06-2010 1:39pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We have covered 8, leaving out Q8 (Moments of Inertia) and Q9 (Hydrostatics).

My favourites are 3,4,5,6,7,10 - 1 is straight-forward if you have done a similar one before but they can be tricky. I find it hard to get my head around Relative Velocity, although some of my friends like it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

1,3,4,5,7,8,10. It's really a toss up between 8 and 7, because if it is a ladder statics question, I am going to do it, but anything else, I am going to do moments of inertia.

Never got my head round realtive velocity either, never made much sense. I am hoping for a B of some sort in this. Though it is the guy who set the 2001 paper, and that paper was disgustingly tough, hope it isn't a repeat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My teacher said it was a new person setting it this year! He also said there were complaints about last summer's Statics (Q7) question, so he expects that question to be a bit easier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

Q1,2,3,4,5,6,8 and 10.

I don't like statics and we never covered hydro statics.

My teacher said it was a new person setting it this year! He also said there were complaints about last summer's Statics (Q7) question, so he expects that question to be a bit easier this year.

My teacher is awesome, in the way that, he corrects our exams sooo bloody hard. He made us work quite a lot, and suggested that we all have potential to get an A, because he knows what kind of muppets are doing this exam (no offence to anyone here :P ). Yeah, statics was quite tough last year, and the mock question b part was a bitch. Hoping for something involving tension and ladders.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I'm doing 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 10. Though I'm using projectiles as my backup if the Differential Equations part b is too difficult. I never got my head around Relative Velocity or Circular and SHM. We also never covered Hydrostatics.

Anyone else finding it ridiculously difficult to actually study at this stage? I'm physically unable to study anymore. I need to study for Applied Maths, but I just can't get myself to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Ruski wrote: »
    Anyone else finding it ridiculously difficult to actually study at this stage? I'm physically unable to study anymore. I need to study for Applied Maths, but I just can't get myself to do it.

I feel like I'm on my summer holidays. It must because nearly all of my friends are!

I'm going to try and do as much exam papers as possible. That brown book we use is crap - the questions in that book are about 50% of the difficulty of the questions in the exam papers.

I feel like I'm on my summer holidays. It must because nearly all of my friends are!

I'm going to try and do as much exam papers as possible. That brown book we use is crap - the questions in that book are about 50% of the difficulty of the questions in the exam papers.

Our class uses Aidan Roantree's notes. His questions are not as easy as the brown book but we were given sets of solutions for them. So, because of this I can't help but constantly refer to solutions and marking schemes for exam questions. In other words, I can't do a full question by myself and I'm screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Leah6

'He made us work quite a lot, and suggested that we all have potential to get an A, because he knows what kind of muppets are doing this exam (no offence to anyone here tongue.gif )'

And that's the only reason he thinks you'll get an A! Think it's you who should be taking offence Ashashi...

Leah6 wrote: »
    'He made us work quite a lot, and suggested that we all have potential to get an A, because he knows what kind of muppets are doing this exam (no offence to anyone here tongue.gif )'

And that's the only reason he thinks you'll get an A! Think it's you who should be taking offence Ashashi...

But... I... well.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

1 3 4 5 10 and either 7 or 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Guys for q8 for the proofs, they're a lot longer in the book. Can you just write down the one from the marking schemes? They're so much shorter :)

(Hmm when I type that it hits me what a stupid question that is........ I'm still hitting post)

Conor108 wrote: »
    Guys for q8 for the proofs, there a lot longer in the book. Can you just write down the one from the marking schemes? They're so much shorter :)

(Hmm when I type that it hits me what a stupid question that is........ I'm still hitting post)

That's because you spelled "they're" wrong.

I still need to get my head around the processes of the Inertia proofs. Does anyone have any predictions? I'm studying all of them anyway but it would be nice to know what to aim for. I'm thinking that the rod or lamina is coming up. The rod comes up often, a lot of the time two years in a row. And a square lamina only came up in 2007. I'm only looking at the past ten years, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yeah but I spelled it 'there' the first time I used it :D Sure English is over anyway

Last time I checked, that is how you spell "they're".

Check again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

All of them except Q6. If I've time I might do that too, but I won't study it.

I never understood why people hate Q6 - it's one of the easiest ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I never understood why people hate Q6 - it's one of the easiest ones!
    Replace 6 with 9 there and you've got my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eoin123

So I suppose then thet im the only one who only has six questions done 12345 and 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

I actually never thought this day would come that I would be thinking about applied maths again!:D Its been so long since I did any bit of applied maths, I think the saturday before english paper 1.
    Anyway Im doing Q 1 3 4 5 10, a toss up between 2 or 7 and 9 as my last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

3,4,5,8,9,10 is what I've done but I think I'll brush up on my question 1 and 7 to have as back ups. Need to do loads between now and Friday though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

I'm planning to do Q.1,3,4,5,8,10 and maybe 7 as my backup. hm, not sure yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 sarahisdeadly

1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10.

I've done 2 as well but do not like it at all.

Advertisement