Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much would you pay?

Options
  • 22-06-2010 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi there,

I basically need to pay somebody to collect my son from montessori mon-fri at 12pm and drop him back to me, and was hoping to get one one the other mums in the school to do it as they would be collecting their child at the same time, my question is how much would i pay her? I live less than a 5 min drive from the school, about a 15 min walk.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Depending on how well you know the mother I wouldn't pay anything. A nice gift every once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Kindle Mont.

Thanks khannie,

If it were a friend etc I think that would be fine but the thing is I don't know any of the other mums yet so am just going on the recommendation of the teacher, I know some of the mums do childminding etc.
    Would €5 a day be acceptable? Its only the one trip a day, I know it doesn't sound much but anymore would add up to an awful lot on top of his montessori fee every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Maggiesims

I think €5 a day is too much, a taxi would charge that amount for a 5 minute drive. If you want to offer to pay them I think €10 a week would be enough.

When my son was in playschool, one of the other mums picked him up and dropped him to the babysitters 3 days a week. I gave her a €50 voucher at xmas and a €30 voucher at summer. If another mum asked me to pick up their child I wouldn't expect any payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I would sound out the mums and see if anyone offers before going around offering payment, most parents try to help out the other parents in the school as much as they can, in my experience.

See if you can sound out a parent who goes near to your house and one that has multiple kids if possible, without the hassle of changing or puting in/out seats or boosters then it's even less of an issue and they are more likely just to offer to do it for free...

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

I wouldnt expect anyone to do it without payment,even if it was just 10 euro a week. For those few minutes that person is completely responsible for your child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

If you pay someone to do this then it's seen as a service, just like a taxi service and the driver's private motor insurance wouldn't normally cover the driver in this situation unless the driver notifies the insurance company and get it in writing or has commercial insurance.

Petrol vouchers may be away round it.

Bear in mind that it's worth getting to know other parents because if you find someone to do it there will probably be the odd day that the person cannot do it such as his or her own child may be off sick so another parent could step into the breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

10-15 euro a week sounds reasonable. Another option may be to offer to babysit in return, say one evening a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Kindle Mont.

Thanks everyone,

It's a tough one, and as I need someone by the 1st of sept that leaves me very little time to build up a relationship with the other mothers as the school's closed now for the summer!

It's given me some ideas though on what people would expect so thanks for those :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I'd a similar situation when my son was younger, when my car was off the road for a while.

Like you, I couldn't have asked anyone to do it for nothing as I didn't really know the other parents that well. So I 'paid' woman (who is now a great friend) 50e per month. I got embarrassed handing her ten euro on a friday if I'm honest, so suggested I pay her monthly - some months, I'd get her a dunnes/m&s voucher, other months I'd give her cash. It worked out really well and she went on to become my childminder for a while when I went back to work f/t.

Advertisement