Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggest a route please.

• 22-06-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,
    Would like to do a good 100K spin around Wicklow this Saturday but dont know the area too well. Can anyone suggest a nice route. I'll be doing the cycle on a fixie so keep that in mind if you dont mind.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭RobBaxter

ooo I would like to hop on this thread,

Could someone suggest a 50-60 km route for dublin starting from UCD. Somewhere that the roads aren't sh!te and that there aren't too many traffic lights???

Cheers,
    Bobby

(sorry OP)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

100km, through the Sally Gap and back along the coast:

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=97455

EDIT: Just noticed the Fixie criterion. The climb up Cruagh and decent into Laragh might be painful/fun/suicidal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

RobBaxter wrote: »
    Could someone suggest a 50-60 km route for dublin starting from UCD. Somewhere that the roads aren't sh!te and that there aren't too many traffic lights???
    63Kms. Probably about as many hills as you can fit in a 60km loop starting from UCD. I dunno if I'd attempt it on a fixie.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭RobBaxter

Nice one, Thanks Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

100km, through the Sally Gap and back along the coast:

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=97455

EDIT: Just noticed the Fixie criterion. The climb up Cruagh and decent into Laragh might be painful/fun/suicidal.

Thanks Electron, that's why I'm finding it diffcult to find suitable route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

snollup wrote: »
    Thanks Electron, that's why I'm finding it diffcult to find suitable route.

You could just cycle the coast road (not the N11) through Shankill, Bray, Greystones, Kilcoole, Rathnew out to Wicklow town and back - 100km from the city centre. Only one minor hill to speak of - between Bray and Greystones. The road is decent enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Nice one, Thanks Pete
    If you're tired when you get to the Sally gap you can just head back the way you came.

I made a mistake on that map. I missed the turn on to the back road to bohernabreena (point C) on this revised map. Its also easy to miss on the bike as you'll be at high speed coming down from the Sally Gap. Its a bumpy little road but there's never usually a car on it. Maybe a few sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

snollup wrote: »
    Afternoon all,
    Would like to do a good 100K spin around Wicklow this Saturday but dont know the area too well. Can anyone suggest a nice route. I'll be doing the cycle on a fixie so keep that in mind if you dont mind.
    Thanks.

This is a nice 62km spin starting and ending in Bray. It would be around 100k if you are coming from the city centre. The long hill up from Kilmacanogue would be challenging on a fixie but just about doable. After that, there's not much in the way of bad hills.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3826569

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 baap86

Ummmm, wrong county but I'm doing www.touroflouth.com on Sunday. 100km cycle with the options of speed/time or leisure participation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

ooo I would like to hop on this thread,

If you wanna get away from the traffic lights you're gonna have to get on the other side of m50 and hit the hills... loads of routes out toward enniskerry, up to the sally gap from either there or via hellfire club etc and beyond, all of which are probably gonna be mostly uphill to begin with, good fun coming back down after a hard grind. Otherwise I like the n11 to bray and back from town just for fitness, two decent yet steady hills either side of leopardstown to keep fit on. Another route could be the cheerverstown road to the lucan area and back via tallaght. Both of which hit about 40/50k and flow easy enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement