Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The colour pink does not REALLY exist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

That's interesting. It's similar to brown then? Or is brown just a mixture of all colours?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

So if you are seeing brown, you are seeing three wavelengths at the same time? How does this deal with tints and shades? In order to see a dull blue, a mixture of blue and black, are you seeing black as a wavelength as well as blue? But black and white are not in the spectrum, one is no colour and the other is all colour. But if black is no colour, it cannot send a wavelength, so how does it combine with blue to make the darker/duller colour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jackinyogrill

I heard something similar years ago, except it was indigo that didn't exist. Graham Joyce even wrote a psychological thriller based on that very concept, believe it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

If you believe in the matrix.........nothing exists! Did you also know that humans have the ability to use x-ray vision....it's just that we do not know how to access it.
    As far as the colour pink not existing.........there's gonna be some miffed off ladies out there....including my daughter!........hey!, is that why football teams are now wearing pink, they can't see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

An important thing to remember is that most of us first experience colour theory when it comes to paint.
    Mix red blue and yellow together, you get brown. That doesn't work with light gels as anyone who helped as a stage hand will tell you. Brown light is actually a low saturate in the yellow/orange spectrum.
    Or at least as far as I remember. The whole thing is a little mind bending, but the wiki articles on colour and it's branching articles are a good start.

Another interesting tangent is that people don't universally see the same colours. The Ancients, Greeks and Latins, have confused scholars for years with their wierd descriptions of colour.
    In his writings Homer surprises us by his use of color. His color descriptive palate was limited to metallic colors, black, white, yellowish green and purplish red, and those colors he often used oddly, leaving us with some questions as to his actual ability to see colors properly (1). He calls the sky "bronze" and the sea and sheep as the color of wine, he applies the adjective chloros (meaning green with our understanding) to honey, and a nightingale
    While there's some rather odd social-evolution theories around saying that Greeks hadn't evolved full colour vision (?!) one of the more accepted theories is that they didn't group colours the way we did. Instead they used the saturation and chroma values to distinguish things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

furerer wrote: »
    If you believe in the matrix.........nothing exists! Did you also know that humans have the ability to use x-ray vision....it's just that we do not know how to access it.
    As far as the colour pink not existing.........there's gonna be some miffed off ladies out there....including my daughter!........hey!, is that why football teams are now wearing pink, they can't see it?

Matrix, shmatrix!
    What's this x-ray thing you mention?
    I remember seeing a show years ago about a russian girl who claimed she could see into people like an x ray, i can't quite remember the details it was years and years ago, but i know she was remarkably accurate at spotting tumors and other internal damage and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

this TEDx video of David Eagleman makes you question the very word 'exist' since it's all down to perception.... mind expanding stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpSBdA0Dc14

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Jimmy444

Matrix, shmatrix!
    What's this x-ray thing you mention?
    I remember seeing a show years ago about a russian girl who claimed she could see into people like an x ray, i can't quite remember the details it was years and years ago, but i know she was remarkably accurate at spotting tumors and other internal damage and so on.

Erm, no she was NOT "remarkably accurate". In fact she was completely debunked by the documentary.
    I think you may be referring to Natasha Demkina - here's a link about her:
    http://www.csicop.org/si/show/natasha_demkina_the_girl_with_normal_eyes/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Must have been a different show!
    I think it's the same girl though. It was many years ago that i seen it, it wasn't in any way a scientific examination. I always figured it was a scam of some sort!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

That is so cool I love optical illusions, I spent a whole on Youtube looking at them haha! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement