Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money debited to credit card in error - now CC company demand it back

Options
  • 22-06-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

Ok this may seem clear cut at first but bear with me. My mam received a letter from her credit card company today stating that there had been 34 payments of €20 to her credit card over about a year. They apologised for the time it took for the error to be noticed and said that they now required the full €680 to be lodged to the card so that it could be withdrawn by the CC company within 14 days.

Surely to god they can't expect my mother to fork out €680 for quite bluntly their own fcuk up. My mother didn't even notice the money entering the credit card account because of the small amounts despite how often they were entering it. Are they just chancing their arm in the hope that she pays up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, they're fully entitled to the money back. Notice it or not, your mother has spent €680 that wasn't hers - did she think it fell from the sky?

However, they're chancing their arm that your mother will have €680 to lodge back to the credit card within 14 days.

Ring them up and offer them a repayment schedule identical that which caused the error in the first place - they can take 34 weekly deductions of €20 from the card until the debt is cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

seamus wrote: »
    No, they're fully entitled to the money back. Notice it or not, your mother has spent €680 that wasn't hers - did she think it fell from the sky?

However, they're chancing their arm that your mother will have €680 to lodge back to the credit card within 14 days.

Ring them up and offer them a repayment schedule identical that which caused the error in the first place - they can take 34 weekly deductions of €20 from the card until the debt is cleared.

Thats it, bang on, she thought it was raining €20 notes for the last year.

I said it to her re: the payment plan alright because it's absolutely ridiculous to try and suggest that she pay nearly 700 immediately

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Certainly they are entitled to the money back, however that timeframe is a joke.

They may arrange a payment plan with her

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ronanc15 wrote: »
    because it's absolutely ridiculous to try and suggest that she pay nearly 700 immediately
    And in court any judge would take a dim view of a company trying to claim this kind of money back in that short a timeframe when it was their error initially.

They do know this and I'd be very surprised if they're not open to a reasonable repayment plan.

Ill update the thread when she speaks to their collections section and see what time of a reception the idea of a payment plan receives. I'd also be very surprised if they were averse to this idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

Yes: They are entitled to their money back

No: She does not have to pay it back on one lump sum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Ok this may seem clear cut at first but bear with me. My mam received a letter from her credit card company today stating that there had been 34 payments of €20 to her credit card over about a year. They apologised for the time it took for the error to be noticed and said that they now required the full €680 to be lodged to the card so that it could be withdrawn by the CC company within 14 days.

Surely to god they can't expect my mother to fork out €680 for quite bluntly their own fcuk up. My mother didn't even notice the money entering the credit card account because of the small amounts despite how often they were entering it. Are they just chancing their arm in the hope that she pays up?

There are twelve months in the year, so that is about 3 credits a month.

Are you really telling us your mam never noticed all these extra transactions, every month, on her account?

Did she use the card much? If no, then she must have seen it and thought all her birthdays had come at once.

Sorry, but this makes no sense and I dont believe it. She does have to pay it back, but not in one lump.

There are twelve months in the year, so that is about 3 credits a month.

Are you really telling us your mam never noticed all these extra transactions, every month, on her account?

Did she use the card much? If no, then she must have seen it and thought all her birthdays had come at once.

Sorry, but this makes no sense and I dont believe it. She does have to pay it back, but not in one lump.

Not that it's really relevant but yeah it would be her primary CC and she uses it quite a bit and pays off any owing amount in small lumps rather than one total clearence off the card. Presumably this is where the oversight came from. So yes, that's what I'm telling you. :)

Advertisement