Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation question

• 22-06-2010 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

I have a 1988 built bungalow. Two leaf block wall construction with the standard of the time Kingspan insulating board pressed against the inside leaf of the wall, within the wall cavity.
    Is there any real insulation improvement or benefit to be gained from blowing more material in, as I see going on all over the country for SEI grant!
    It was allways my impression that the blown in stuff, was not as good as the solid sheet in the cavity, as it is in contact with the outer leaf and hence prone to transferring dampness.

Yet I see many houses with my style of in situ insulation having the blow in job now being done for the grant.

Appreciate any comments.

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

The blown in poly bead systems are very good for your situation, you will need to get something else done to qualify for the grant. ie attic insulated or boiler upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

the full fill cavity beads are a good success in mu opinion... We were getting it done in our new build and asked to speak with clients who had it done. I spoke to 5 folks with houses retrofitted and all were delighted...

We now have our 100mm cavity blown full and its wonderful

There are two main benifets :- You will have thicker insulation and there are no gaps in insulation allowing draughts to suck heat out. historically builders were terrible at fitting insulation board and gaps were left everywhere...

Ensure you follow the recomendations on site suitability regarding driving rain and exposure and damp will be no bother..

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Hi,
    does anyone have any cost figures on the blown in beads? Specifically for a dormer bungalow...:D
    Thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi,
    does anyone have any cost figures on the blown in beads? Specifically for a dormer bungalow...:D
    Thanks..
    2700 sq foot 1.5 Story plus single story garage 350sq foot done for I think it was €1800, Platinum Bead. Done in late 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

We had empty cavity when we moved into our house and put in the fiberglass blow-in. Noticed the difference the next evening. Depending on the thickness of the stuff already in there and the quality of fitting it may be very worthwhile. You can find the thickness fairly easily - look into the edges of the meterbox, or drill a small pilot hole and probe with a wire. The quality of fitting isn't as easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Any other costings folks..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

1200sq ft 3 bed semi d in limerick city, cavities were empty and got them blown for €1000 in 2008

Advertisement