Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic home network switch query

Options
  • 22-06-2010 2:37pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Setting up a basic home network. Have 300m of Cat6e waiting to be distributed to around 7/8 faceplates throughout the house.

Currently have a wireless setup but want to move away from that, when I do cat5 connect up some PCs to transfer files the speed is max 10mb/sec and that's after disconnecting from the UPC cable modem. Have no plans for NAS as the minute but that could change in the future.
    Am okay with PCs in general but clueless on networking.:o

Want each PC to share files with each other and internet access via my UPC cable modem plus use of a printer which is connected via USB to my main PC. Main PC is W7 (fixed IP to UPC cable modem), two more are Vista and a laptop too.

Is this guy the lad I need to achieve the above?

Would welcome any suggestions on the above in order to get assurance and or ideas to improve.

Thanks in advance
    S1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Yeah that should work grand, in general the hardest thing about networking from a consumer point of view is the cabling side, after that its all just plug and play.

The only thing I would comment on is your choice of cabling. You mentioned cat6e at one point, which isn't a defined standard at the moment, maximum you can get is cat 6a. At the very least you should be running cat 5e, but if you are buying and laying cabling, you would be better off springing for cat6. Both will allow gigabit access, but you have more future proofing with cat6 and like I said, the hardest part is actually running the cables.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

thanks for the reply, I have 305m of cat-6 and laying myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

My only suggestion would be to run two cables where you think you need one, and four where you think you'll need two!

Bring all the cables back to a convenient location where you can get yourself a small cabinet, you can put your NAS etc. in here.

I assume you'll need to leave the cable modem at the entry point where your TV is? Run cabling from there to your "convenient location". One cable goes from your modem to the switch, all other sockets are patched through to the switch, and you can plug your NAS etc. straight into it (so you may want to look at a 16 port one...). Your cable modem will be configured as the DHCP server.

Personally I wouldn't worry about CAT6 vs. 5e in a domestic situation, I think CAT6 is a little trickier to install.

SSE

16 port giga switches seem v. expensive and not required in the short run, I'll have 3 definite 'face-plates' for the minute and run spare cables up to the attic and leave them there for future use.
    I presume I can always get another 8 port in the future and daisy chain?

slave1 wrote: »
    16 port giga switches seem v. expensive and not required in the short run, I'll have 3 definite 'face-plates' for the minute and run spare cables up to the attic and leave them there for future use.
    I presume I can always get another 8 port in the future and daisy chain?

You can of course. To be honest though I'd run your spare cables down and leave them hidden for now AND LABEL THEM! I ran 4 to each downstairs room and 2 to each bedroom.

Are you planning to have your switch etc. in the attic? If so bear in mind that you'll need to go up to patch through, reboot etc.

I've got a GS724, it's run for 2.5 years now faultlessly.

SSE

• Advertisement

It's not a new build, I'm renovating the sitting room into a home cinema. This is where the main PC and HTPC reside so these are the definate connection points. I'll base the switch in a cupboard next to the main PC for ease of access etc. My plan is to run 10 spare lengths of Cat6 to the attic and just leave them there for the minute as all the bedrooms (upstairs, semi-detatched) are not being touched at the minute.

Ah right, don't know about the 8-port version but the GS724 isn't exactly quiet enough for a sitting room.

That said, it's no worse than a 360!

Alan

should be okay, it's fanless!!

Advertisement