Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madrid Warstories, Bud!

• 22-06-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

Alight! It's that time for a write up now, I'll try to keep it shorter that the last time :)

First off here's my team:

Midge/Smeargle Technician (Perfect IVs, nature, wrong ability) @ Focus Sash
    • Dark Void
    • Imprison
    • Transform
    • Protect
    Colm/Togekiss Serene Grace @ Leftovers
    • Follow Me
    • Air Slash
    • Grass Knot
    • Secret Power (60% Par)
    Ryuunosuke/Palkia Pressure (same one from Birmingham) @ Haban Berry
    • Spacial Rend
    • Thunder
    • Blizzard
    • Flamethrower (changed from Fire Blast for Madrid)
    Sapphire/Kyorge Drizzle @ Choice Scarf
    • Water Spout
    • Thunder
    • Blizzard
    • Muddy Water
    Notes: My plan was to lead with Midge and Colm, create as much chaos as we can use Ryuu as muscle and finish with Sapphire since if he choices into the wrong move too early it can be a game breaker.

And on to the story mode:
    So Alan and I fly to Madrid airport, we get a taxi to the location that costs €20 for the two of us o_0. We find the event at 10.30am Madrid time (9.30am Irish) and see a big queue in a courtyard. I scout ahead just in case we are in the Juniors queue...we are not.... Luckily I find THAT BELGIAN PLAYER who allows us to queue up with him. We start chatting to everyone and have trades, battles and sharing of food and emails. We've killed about 3 hours before anything actually happens.

This is all good until and angry Spanish guy that speaks no English or French kicks up a huge fuss about us being in the queue. For the most part I just pretend that I can't understand his body language as the queue has tripled in the time we have been standing and feck if we have come all this way not to play. For where we all are in the queue everyone will get to play anyway (we are like 70-80th in the queue). Angry dude does eventually call the staff and one of the staff girls wants to send us back to the end of the queue. I thought this was the end as we had no hope of entering from there, but our Belgian friends stick their necks our for us (there is 3-4 of them) and between them and a multi-lingual staff girl we come to an agreement that Alan and I will go behind the Angry guy in the queue. Disaster averted, thank fcuk!!

At around 12 or so the queue moves into the converntion center, yes we have been waiting outside the whole time! So the queue moves inside and queues outside the VGC room. The staff marked the queue lines on the floor, but had to extend the queue line as there was waaaaaay more people than explected. I try downloading the Shiny Eevee, but the signal doesn't exsist yet/ doesn't carry through the walls.

Eventaully we move into the VGC room. The staff as running down the queue counting the people in the queue. At one point we are counted as 70, and upon entry the room we were 90 odd and then 100 and something. I run up and hug our Belgian friends getting a little emotional, without them we would not have made the cut. The multi-lingual girl is really touched :)

Cutting things short from here, it's queue to register, register, queue to play. Somewhere in the queue we find some players from Monahan, viva le Irish!

And onto the battles!!

Battle 1:
    I start with my plan, Midge and Colm. My opponent opens with Kyorge and Raichu. First thing to my head is THUNDERDANCING. I open with Colm Following Me, giving Midge a chance to get going.
    His Raichu hits Colm with Thunder, but Colm lives. Midge drops a Dark Void, hit Kyorge - good zzzzz, hits Raichu - good zz-munch, munch (wat?), Raichu had a Lum Berry WTF? Not a Focus Sash 0_o? Kyorge Zzzzzs for the round.
    I think Midge protects while Colm goes for the Secret Power Hax on Raichu
    I'm sorry but I can't remember the rest of this match other than it was very tight with Colm Air Slashing flinch Haaxing Raichu and that is was very close. I did save the battle on the Vs Recorder, but I dumped it later.

Battle 2:
    I open with Midge and Colm, other than that I can't remember what my opponent had, but I dominated him with Midge Dark Voiding everyone of his Pokemon. This match was on the big screen and I had people clapping me when I finished.

Battle 3:
    My opponent opens with Azelf and Smeargle (Picasso). This was an epic match showing off how Midge works.
    Colm goes after Azelf, Midge uses Imprison and here's the best line ever: Picasso can't use the Sealed Dark Void! I smile to myself but then Azelf drops a Trick Room. Okay, I think to myself, I can handle this...
    Colm goes all Follow Me, the opponent Smeargle goes Perish Song. Midge Transforms into Azelf, locking it out of it's own moveset. Azelf is bummed, I think it it strugged. Perish Song count: 3
    Picasso drops a Teeter Dance, everyone gets confused. I think Colm managed to Air Slash up Azelf and flinch it. Midge has a 50/50 chance to drop a Trick Room (removes the old one), I pray for Midge to drop it for this is own only chance, she must of heard me for she twisted back the dimensions aiding everyone on my side. Perish Song count:2
    I'm getting ready to battle this round then switch on the next, except this turn Picasso switches out for Wobbuffet. I think, you little fcuker as the round finishes with Colm killing Azelf and Midge confused. Perish Song count: 1
    So this is the last round with these two, I order Midge to use the "borrowed" Explosion, but she hits herself in confusion. Colm kills Picasso on entry. Wobbuffet does something but we ignore it. Perish Song kills Colm and Midge, but they've done we proud.
    It's the play of Sapphire and Ryuu to finish up his team. Sapphire thunders whatever the heck was his last Pokemon. Ryuu does a tiny attack of FlameThrower on Wobbuffet, dealing it tiny HP, Mirror Coat echoes back bringing Ryuu to half health.
    I proceed to gang bang Woffu for the win.

I'm going to take a break here for a bit and I'll edit in the rest when I return, please come back for the ending ^_^

20:44pm 22 June 2010

Okay I'm back now to finish up here. What I forgot to mention after the second match my game got legit checked. I don't know if this was random or at the request of the guy I beat since I was in the queue to round three at this stage. Anyway I passed legit check without a hitch (obviously).

As I'm waiting to enter Winner's Lounge I spy my Belgian Friend in there. I wave at him and we both get excited, my excitement catches the eye of the official photographer and the announcer who gets me to shout into the mic. I say a few words and the Irish players cheer. My game is hack checked again and sealed until the next round.

I manage to find SamIAmNot in the crowd and we swap stories with ourselves, the Monahan players and some random English speaking Spanish players. There's time for some Pokewalker link ups, and a very hurried bathroom break before the Winner's Lounge players are called.

For the benifit of those who have not attended I'll describe what happens next. The Winner's Lounge finalists gather and their games are given back to them one by one. The games are sealed up and can only be opened by an official before and after matches. If you dare open the pack yourself you will be disqualified, this is serious crap going down.

So us finalists go to the machines and after the announcer warming up the crowd, battles begin!

Battle 1:
    This is my favourite battle of all! The opening is Obamatwo (Abomasnow and Mewtwo), I know how this works, so I switch Colm out for (yes, you've guessed it) Sapphire. Bye Bye Hail! I've saved this battle on my VS Recorder, so I'll edit in the number into the post when it goes online and live. I'll not spoil the fun for you!

Battle 2:
    My usual opening with Midge and Colm. Opponent opens with Kyorge and Togekiss. I'm thinking he's doing a Follow Me with Togekiss, so I order up an Dark Void and a Grass Knot. His Togekiss ExtremeSpeeds Midge knocking her in half heath, I can't remember did Dark Void miss or Kyorge was faster, but Midge and Colm went out fast.
    My opponent says sorry and I just shrug saying it happens as Ryuu and Sapphire come to play. Knowing that Sapphire was going to get locked into a move I had to pick wisely, picking Thunder would have killed his Kyorge BUT would leave me wide open if he changed to Obamasnow (if he had it, it's very common with Kyorge) and cancelled the rain, I was in a tight spot. I had the freedom to change attacks with Ryuu, but not Sapphire. I made my choice on the best bet, Muddy Water. So Ryuu Thundered his Kyorge for well over half it's heath, while Sapphire finished the Togekiss with Muddy Water. His Kyorge Thunders Sapphire, dealing it not as much as I expected.
    He sends out Giratina to replace Togekiss. I can see him sweating, but I knew my dudes didn't have the stamina to keep it all up. We batter the Kyrogre and manage to lower Giratina's accuracy with a Muddy Water, but that was game over for me and I knew it. I fought to the end for my pride, just in case something happened in my favor, but it didn't. Oh well, Top 16 out of 256 still makes me the official Top Irish Player and that's good enough for me ;)

I ended up getting three/four interviews by Spanish TV/Web TV, so I'll post them up when they are available. Best thing is I was wearing my Boards.ie T-shirt when on camera, maybe we'll have some Spanish players joining us in the future!

I'll finish up with these few words:
    COME TO VGC WITH ME NEXT YEAR!! IRELAND IS GONNA BRING IT HOME IN 2011!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Wow, very detailed! I really know nothing beyond casual Pokémon, I'd never figure out tactics like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

syncosised wrote: »
    Wow, very detailed! I really know nothing beyond casual Pokémon, I'd never figure out tactics like that!
    Thank you! I tend to forget a lot, so I'm surprised I remembered all that!

Welcome to your first step into the world of Competitive play. If you fancy learning I'll be more than happy to teach ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

I don't think I'd have the time or dedication! I still haven't beaten the first Elite Four in HeartGold! I play for ages and then lose interest for a few weeks. I'll eventually beat them though, I did the first time 9 years ago! :D

Advertisement