Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Colard Greens

Options
  • 22-06-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

I don't want to be like Pvt. Bubba from Forrest Gump and his shrimp - but its another turnip leaf recipe.

Its a very economical way of using something we Irish would normally throw away.
    <snip>
    Anyone with a kitchen garden will need to thin plants out, and that includes turnip.

The main leaves I used were from Milan Purple top, but cabbage leaf, beetroot leaf and mustard greens can all be used. Kale is ideal for this recipe.

In the states this is made a lot with ham hocks or salted smoked meats like turkey leg - the main idea is to get as much flavour into the stock as is possible.

Collard greens are a staple of the southern States of the US, served with the cheaper preserved cuts of meat like smoked pork collar is obviously based on what would be a poor mans food, but it is full if taste and flavour.
    This, along with corn bread and gumbo, is the taste of the south.

IMG_1721.jpg

I just fiddled around with it a little to suit the ingredients more to Ireland.

Anyway - these are the ingredients I used
    3 rashers
    1 pint chicken stock
    Tabasco
    balsamic vinegar
    Chili powder
    3 full onions - including leaf
    Clove of garlic
    Mixed leaves, about 2 Ibs mostly turnip with some beetroot leaf and Mustard greens
    Salt and pepper
    Butter

Method
    Prepare the greens by washing well. Remove large stems and fairly finely shred the leaves, just grab a bunch, ball 'em up fairly tight and slice into them

Melt butter in a heavy based pot
    Put in chopped bacon (or other strong flavoured meat) diced onions, garlic and a good belt of Tabasco, a little vinegar and a good pinch of chili powder. Salt and Pepper to taste.

Saute in the pot on a low to medium heat until onion opaque and soft

Add 1 pint chicken stock, raise heat and bring to the boil

Reduce heat to a simmer - pile in the greens (I filled the pot)
    Cover and allow greens to reduce

After about 20 minutes give them a stir, get the broth all over the greens - taste now to adjust seasoning, you can even add more greens if you like.
    Allow to cook for a further 10 minutes

Serves about 3 people.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Please stop spamming your blog on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Oh I love the idea of using veg tops, beetroot is a good one alright, I actually grew turnip tops last year, they're a cultivated seed variety that doesn't actually form the tuber just the leaves that you can use as a cut and come again.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

I found the Milan Purple top to be the best for greens, and I had to thin them anyway - love the blog BTW

Another plant I found good for variety waj Japanese Mustard Greens, grows like Spinach

I looked for collard green seeds this year. No joy.
    Where did you find yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

I just used turnip leaves, but there is a gang in mayo that do what looks like a very interesting kale

http://www.seedaholic.com/kale-cavolo-nero-nero-de-toscana-black-cabbage.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

simonj wrote: »
    I just used turnip leaves, but there is a gang in mayo that do what looks like a very interesting kale

http://www.seedaholic.com/kale-cavolo-nero-nero-de-toscana-black-cabbage.html

Oh I love cavelo nero, that's my favourite variety, have a load of it growing out in the garden now. It's a traditional Italian variety, the names just means black cabbage (my Italian friend came to visit last week can't ya tell :p)

Advertisement