Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyres, V or H?

• 22-06-2010 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I won't be breaking the law speeding anywhere :rolleyes:
    but I can see the tyre I'm looking for are €1.40 euro between the H and the V

will the V give more mileage if not used at high speed?

I know they are the speed rate, but not going to be anywhere near the max of even the "H" one and I'd like to know if the "V" gives even slightly better mileage

is there a draw back from the "V" compared to the "H"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd base my decision on the top speed of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I don't think you are covered by insurance unless the tyres you put on the car are the same (or higher) speed rating as the OEM fitment. So the rating will be higher than Vmax of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭sundodger5

put the same as was fitted originally to the car. the guys who built the car were aware of the top speed as well but they put em on for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

Mr.David wrote: »
    I don't think you are covered by insurance unless the tyres you put on the car are the same (or higher) speed rating as the OEM fitment. So the rating will be higher than Vmax of the car.

first time I heard that, thanks
    anyway, I understand it if on the isle of man or Germany, but in this country where the max speed anywhere is 120 kph?

checked the manual and it specifies V, so will buy them anyway
    don't understand why, a porky 2-ton, 7 seater with a 1.6, 85kw engine... it doesn't go fast even downhill

thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭sundodger5

its not all about the speed.
    a tyre rated 91 H can carry X amount of weight up the the H rated max a 91V can carry the same weight up to the V rated max. Hence stronger tyre different rubber compound etc.
    They obviously allow a bit for a safety margin but why take away some of that margin for a few euro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Mr.David wrote: »

Nope.. majority of peeps in Germany get winters rated to 180km/h even if they have all weathers rated to 220

Don't know where you heard that, if thats the case its just an Irish thing.

Advertisement