Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TOUR DE FRANCE 2010

• 22-06-2010 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

The Shack have announced there team ,Jani Brajkovic was given a spot ,forward thinking .also Chris Horner .looks like a strong team .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Am going to see if i can put a bet on for nichloas roche to win a stage this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

jwshooter wrote: »
    The Shack have announced there team ,Jani Brajkovic was given a spot ,forward thinking .also Chris Horner .looks like a strong team .

Brajkovic = skinny f**ker even cycling jerseys dont fit him, but great climber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

levitronix wrote: »
    Brajkovic = skinny f**ker even cycling jerseys dont fit him, but great climber

I was riding with him last year in Gran Canaria - yeah, skinny, very very PRO looking and obviously climbs well. Seems a nice guy too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

in other more pressing news, Bert is out :eek::eek::eek::eek:

with the flu :pac:, but could jeopardise his first week maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

I was riding with him last year in Gran Canaria - yeah, skinny, very very PRO looking and obviously climbs well. Seems a nice guy too

name dropper;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i did like his interview when he won the criterium du Daughnie .

i would like to ride the Tour ,small pause ,if not this year then hopefully next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

garminguy wrote: »
    name dropper;)

haha, I was wearing my National Champions kit - I'm sure he was dropping my name :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

The young guys at the Shack (Brajkovic and Machado) are bothe having pretty good seasons.
    Love him or hate him, Brunyeel can spot talent.
    I had discounted Lance but a successful Tour de Switz and a credible RVV may prove me wrong. Hasn't raced a lot but when some of his efforts have been good.

Can't see beyond bertie, but would love to see Evans keep going the way he has been this season.
    I think that Kruiziger (sp.) could do very well, but will probably depend on team politics.

My top 5 would be:
    Contador
    Evans
    Basso
    Kruiziger
    Lance

Its such a pity that Gilbert won't ride the tour. He wouldn't win, but a lot of the hilly/mid mountain stages could suit his attacking style.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

ROK ON wrote: »
    I had discounted Lance but a successful Tour de Switz and a credible RVV may prove me wrong. Hasn't raced a lot but when some of his efforts have been good..

still think the TT's will catch him out even though he has being doing a bit more work on them. the Tour de Swiss one was by no means great
    Can't see beyond bertie, but would love to see Evans keep going the way he has been this season...

agreed, contador = cert once nothing mad happens in belgium, which i dont expect that it will. any time he loses he ll likely gain back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What's the consensus of opinion on BMC/Evans? Is this going to be a largely solo effort for him?

He was great to watch in the Giro, hope he has a good TdF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Lumen wrote: »
    What's the consensus of opinion on BMC/Evans? Is this going to be a largely solo effort for him?

He was great to watch in the Giro, hope he has a good TdF.

They don't have anywhere near the strength of the other contenders, but Ballan,Kroon and Hincapie will be able to help him out.

Can't see beyond Contador though, but I think it'll be the best race in years, if Contador is slightly off-form or anything,LA,Schlecks,Gesink,Wiggins,Sastre,Menchov,Brajkovic,Kreuziger,Vino,Sanchez,Evans,Basso and probably a few others will all be able to do something.Could be a very good race if a bunch of them hit any sort of form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭TurloughT

Its good news that Roche will be team leader. It will be facinating to see the quality support he gets & how he uses it.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4693/Roche-to-lead-AG2R-at-the-Tour-de-France-Nocentini-makes-the-squad.aspx

titan18 wrote: »
    They don't have anywhere near the strength of the other contenders, but Ballan,Kroon and Hincapie will be able to help him out.

+1, I just dont see anyone being there for him on the big climbs when needed. would be nice if they had 2 cards to play like saxo but at the same it didnt stop contador even though he had no real support last year. if evans is good enough it shouldnt stop him but unfortunately i think he will still be the nearly man

was interested to read that between 1903 and 1966, the average speed for the tour went from circa 25km/ph (1903) to 36km/ph and from 1966 to 2009 up to 40km/ph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

My top 5 would be:
    Contador
    Evans
    Basso
    Kruiziger
    Lance

No space for a Schleck? I'd definitely have Frank in my top 5 - especially with the improvement in TT he showed in Switzerland. Can't see him being able to put enough time into Contador in the mountains to win it though. The final TT won't favour Contador as much this year though - last year it was directly after a big mountain stage and he was the only rider who managed to save anything.
    This year stage 18 is pan-flat between Tourmalet and ITT so I reckon you could see a breakaway left go with all the GC guys saving themselves for the next day. The tour could be decided on Tourmalet (second time round) - it's the only tough mountain stage that includes a mountain top finish, although it's after a rest day.
    The previous stage has two 1st category and two haut category climbs but it finishes with 60km downhill into Pau - that's a big chance to catch the first rider over the last col.

No space for a Schleck? I'd definitely have Frank in my top 5 - especially with the improvement in TT he showed in Switzerland.

Frank? really? Andy is the better climber and TT'er. I think Andy will come second to contador again but that it will be a lot closer this year than last

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Frank? really? Andy is the better climber and TT'er. I think Andy will come second to contador again but that it will be a lot closer this year than last

Yeah, maybe Andy has been saving himself a bit in Switzerland. Was impressed with Frank's improvement in the ITT more than anything tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

To make the TdF more interesting, I've thrown €1 E/W @ 100/1 on Roche and €1 E/W @ 66/1 on Roche without Contador i.e. if he finishes in the top 4 I win a very insignificant amount of money but it makes that more interesting. I've also thrown a euro on him to win a stage which will get me the whole of me €5 back with 50c profit. Need to buy an Irish flag today for Montargis :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

TurloughT wrote: »
    Its good news that Roche will be team leader. It will be facinating to see the quality support he gets & how he uses it.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4693/Roche-to-lead-AG2R-at-the-Tour-de-France-Nocentini-makes-the-squad.aspx

+1 , time to step up (same for brad wiggins)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I predict that Wiggins will do substantially worse than last year, despite his improved result in the Giro.

Yeah, maybe Andy has been saving himself a bit in Switzerland. Was impressed with Frank's improvement in the ITT more than anything tbh.

Can't find the article but I remember something about Bobby Julich working on this to try help him get better overall results in grand tours by working on his time-trialling as he saw it as weakness.

This puts Andy near a min ahead of Frank

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/luxembourg-road-championships-cn/time-trials/results

cant see Frank being on the podium myself. but of course you can remind me of this after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

anyone care ?

Yes........

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

To make the TdF more interesting, I've thrown €1 E/W @ 100/1 on Roche and €1 E/W @ 66/1 on Roche without Contador i.e. if he finishes in the top 4 I win a very insignificant amount of money but it makes that more interesting. I've also thrown a euro on him to win a stage which will get me the whole of me €5 back with 50c profit. Need to buy an Irish flag today for Montargis :)

Roche is definetly worth a bet but only for a stage win. overall I'd imagine a top 15 in the gc would be a realistic result for him....

Lance doesn't seem to get great support here on boards but I'm gonna put a few quid on him this year. 3rd last year after coming out of retirement was a fantastic result. It would be great to see him improve on that this year

keano007 wrote: »
    Roche is definetly worth a bet but only for a stage win. overall I'd imagine a top 15 in the gc would be a realistic result for him....

Lance doesn't seem to get great support here on boards but I'm gonna put a few quid on him this year. 3rd last year after coming out of retirement was a fantastic result. It would be great to see him improve on that this year

Yeah, it was only for a laugh really, I could do with a few quid after this holiday though, Allez Nicolas. If he got top 15, I'd be celebrating.

Lance Armstrong doesn't and it was, I know everyone is in two minds over him (both in terms of perforamance and doping), has the year of training and competitive cycling made him stronger or has that extra year on the wrong side of 30 taken away anything he could possibly have gained? One of the many things that'll add to hopefully a great tour. Considering the oldest winner of the tour was 36 and that was back in 1922, doesn't look like there's any chance of a fairy story.

If I was putting a real bet on, it'd be Contador, Evans, Schleck.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Great to see Roche as team leader.But surely that is provisional. I can see John Gadret staying with the top climbers this year and possibly getting a top ten.

If his performance this year is anything to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Farrar is 6/1 for the green and is tempting. I have my doubts about Cavendish's form this season, and I don't think the peloton are going to make it particularly easy for him!

keano007 wrote: »

I think a top 15 is possible for him if he has the full support of his team, but won't a stage win be less likely if he's looking for a decent GC result? I'd have thought that his best chance of a win would be to get into a break, but if he's in the top 20 on GC he probably won't be allowed get away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

^^^agree^^^

i think nico was lucky to be allowed sneak away in a few breaks last year at TdF!!

Teams will watch him even more now given his performance last year and in early season so far!!

Yellow jersey in his team helped last year.... Maybe !!

But ge should get a stage this year, he really needs to decide whether top20 on GC is a priority or stage wins....

Just my thoughts!!

I love his style of racing though!!!

cipo wrote: »
    But ge should get a stage this year, he really needs to decide whether top20 on GC is a priority or stage wins....

Just my thoughts!!

I love his style of racing though!!!

+1, and in a way this would surely mean shedding some pounds. any schlek who is 3inches taller is approx 5kilos lighter and contador who is half an inch shorter is 8 kilos lighter.

It's great watching him in breaks and great that he can sprint but he has to decide what his priorities are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

cav pulled out of the national road race championships yesterday early on .

lance ,facedbooked ..last hard ride before the tdf .test on col de la madone ,record time ? no .close to it ? yes .im ready ..

bring it on .

Nico reported being 4kgs lighter at start of 2010 season in comparison to start of TdF last year.....

And somehow managed to not put on any weight when he was forced to rest due to torn hamstring about 6-8 weeks ago!!!

Very impressive.......!!!!!!

So he's right on it.... Forced rest blessing in disguise I reckon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

cipo wrote: »
    ^^^agree^^^

i think nico was lucky to be allowed sneak away in a few breaks last year at TdF!!
    On the other hand he had to spend 8 days defending the team's yellow which restricted his options quite a bit

Diarmuid wrote: »
    On the other hand he had to spend 8 days defending the team's yellow which restricted his options quite a bit

Gave him a great excuse to loiter around the back of one breakaway without doing any work though... :D

Haha yes he got dogs abuse off a few in the break too!!!

Quality though, entitled to sit in... !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Not getting the Irish jersey may be a blessing in disguise for Nico. He will be harder to identify by other teams which may help him get away a little easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

+1, and in a way this would surely mean shedding some pounds. any schlek who is 3inches taller is approx 5kilos lighter and contador who is half an inch shorter is 8 kilos lighter.

It's great watching him in breaks and great that he can sprint but he has to decide what his priorities are.

are them stats correct?

cancellera cannot possibly be lighter than Nico, surely???

• Advertisement

:confused::confused:cancellara is circa 80kg so approx 10kg heavier

I have seen no evidence whatsoever that Roche has what it takes to actually win a race or stage. He is exciting to watch but that's it. If I were time I would target consistency and a high GC spot. Top 10 would be fantastic and he is probably not that far way (but either are about 35 other guys).
    I think if he actually managed a stage victory it wouldprove to him that he could win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Lance has just tweeted it's his last tour..

Junior wrote: »

I think you might be in with a shout for "post of the day" :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Junior wrote: »
    ...of 2010?

Sometimes I wonder if he'll ever go away.:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Could someone post up the current odds for overall general clasification ?
    I cant get into PP at work.
    Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I have seen no evidence whatsoever that Roche has what it takes to actually win a race or stage.
    He got a couple of good placings in the Tour last year. This year he is a year older and more mature in the legs and has the benefit of those experiences from last year. This year he'll also have a team pulling for him.
    Not direct evidence, but circumstantial at least that he might get one.

[URL="javascript:nonfbm_toggle('nonfbm7924915');void(0);"]Hide [/URL]

A Contador [URL="javascript:void(0)"]8/13 [/URL]A Vinokourov [URL="javascript:void(0)"]100/1 [/URL]J Gadret [URL="javascript:void(0)"]225/1 [/URL]A Schleck [URL="javascript:void(0)"]7/1 [/URL]N Roche [URL="javascript:void(0)"]100/1 [/URL]S Casar [URL="javascript:void(0)"]225/1 [/URL]L Armstrong [URL="javascript:void(0)"]9/1 [/URL]D Cunego [URL="javascript:void(0)"]100/1 [/URL]M Monfort [URL="javascript:void(0)"]225/1 [/URL]B Wiggins [URL="javascript:void(0)"]16/1 [/URL]F Cancellara [URL="javascript:void(0)"]125/1 [/URL]J Fuglsang [URL="javascript:void(0)"]250/1 [/URL]C Evans [URL="javascript:void(0)"]22/1 [/URL]V Karpets [URL="javascript:void(0)"]125/1 [/URL]Syl Chavanel [URL="javascript:void(0)"]250/1 [/URL]F Schleck [URL="javascript:void(0)"]25/1 [/URL]E Boasson Hagen [URL="javascript:void(0)"]125/1 [/URL]S Gerrans [URL="javascript:void(0)"]250/1 [/URL]D Menchov [URL="javascript:void(0)"]25/1 [/URL]T Martin [URL="javascript:void(0)"]125/1 [/URL]A Moinard [URL="javascript:void(0)"]250/1 [/URL]I Basso [URL="javascript:void(0)"]25/1 [/URL]T Lovkvist [URL="javascript:void(0)"]150/1 [/URL]R Uran [URL="javascript:void(0)"]275/1 [/URL]R Gesink [URL="javascript:void(0)"]35/1 [/URL]T Danielson [URL="javascript:void(0)"]150/1 [/URL]R Nocentini [URL="javascript:void(0)"]275/1 [/URL]J Brajkovic [URL="javascript:void(0)"]50/1 [/URL]C Le Mevel [URL="javascript:void(0)"]150/1 [/URL]Y Popovych [URL="javascript:void(0)"]275/1 [/URL]S Sanchez [URL="javascript:void(0)"]50/1 [/URL]C Horner [URL="javascript:void(0)"]150/1 [/URL]J J Cobo [URL="javascript:void(0)"]275/1 [/URL]R Kreuziger [URL="javascript:void(0)"]55/1 [/URL]L Gerdemann [URL="javascript:void(0)"]150/1 [/URL]C A Sorensen [URL="javascript:void(0)"]275/1 [/URL]A Kloden [URL="javascript:void(0)"]60/1 [/URL]J M Soler [URL="javascript:void(0)"]175/1 [/URL]R Di Gregorio [URL="javascript:void(0)"]325/1 [/URL]L Leipheimer [URL="javascript:void(0)"]66/1 [/URL]P Fedrigo [URL="javascript:void(0)"]175/1 [/URL]T Voeckler [URL="javascript:void(0)"]500/1 [/URL]M Rogers [URL="javascript:void(0)"]75/1 [/URL]J Van Den Broeck [URL="javascript:void(0)"]175/1 [/URL]C Moreau [URL="javascript:void(0)"]500/1 [/URL]C Sastre [URL="javascript:void(0)"]75/1 [/URL]V Efimkin [URL="javascript:void(0)"]175/1 [/URL]G Hincapie [URL="javascript:void(0)"]500/1 [/URL]C Vandevelde [URL="javascript:void(0)"]75/1 [/URL]D Millar [URL="javascript:void(0)"]200/1 [/URL]M Cavendish [URL="javascript:void(0)"]1000/1 [/URL]L L Sanchez [URL="javascript:void(0)"]80/1 [/URL][URL="javascript:void(0)"][/URL][URL="javascript:void(0)"][/URL]Each Way Odds 1/4 places 1,2,3

He got a couple of good placings in the Tour last year. This year he is a year older and more mature in the legs and has the benefit of those experiences from last year. This year he'll also have a team pulling for him.
    Not direct evidence, but circumstantial at least that he might get one.

He has not won anything despite all the placings and attacks. He livens up a race, but has shown no aptitude for winning.
    Guys in his age bracket (Schleck, Kruizinger etc and Sagan (much younger)) do win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Hide

A Contador 8/13 A Vinokourov 100/1 J Gadret 225/1 A Schleck 7/1 N Roche 100/1 S Casar 225/1 L Armstrong 9/1 D Cunego 100/1 M Monfort 225/1 B Wiggins 16/1 F Cancellara 125/1 J Fuglsang 250/1 C Evans 22/1 V Karpets 125/1 Syl Chavanel 250/1 F Schleck 25/1 E Boasson Hagen 125/1 S Gerrans 250/1 D Menchov 25/1 T Martin 125/1 A Moinard 250/1 I Basso 25/1 T Lovkvist 150/1 R Uran 275/1 R Gesink 35/1 T Danielson 150/1 R Nocentini 275/1 J Brajkovic 50/1 C Le Mevel 150/1 Y Popovych 275/1 S Sanchez 50/1 C Horner 150/1 J J Cobo 275/1 R Kreuziger 55/1 L Gerdemann 150/1 C A Sorensen 275/1 A Kloden 60/1 J M Soler 175/1 R Di Gregorio 325/1 L Leipheimer 66/1 P Fedrigo 175/1 T Voeckler 500/1 M Rogers 75/1 J Van Den Broeck 175/1 C Moreau 500/1 C Sastre 75/1 V Efimkin 175/1 G Hincapie 500/1 C Vandevelde 75/1 D Millar 200/1 M Cavendish 1000/1 L L Sanchez 80/1 Each Way Odds 1/4 places 1,2,3

An each way bet on Basso and Frank Schleck at 25/1 looks like decent value to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement