Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics

• 22-06-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

Right, just checking to see what everyone else thinks is going to come up tomorow.

Oligopoly
    Demand/Supply
    National Imcome
    Elasticity
    Economic Growth and Development

I could really use some help reinforcing this list, or seeing what others are doing.

Also, can anyone remember what the topical issue were when the papers were being drawn up? I know NAMA will be on the paper is some shape or form, but I haven;t learnt any of the figure or anything, so if it mess's up my National Income bit I'm screwed.

And, what were the common topics on the mocks? All I can remember being on both was Oligopoly.

Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Don't just depend on Oligopoly, if we have learnt something from this leaving cert, it is predictions are out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Well, accounting was dead on for me (ish). If onligopoly doesn't come up as a whole question, the only thing I think they will do is somethying like "Explain the main differenced between Oligoploy and..."

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

Remember Oligopoly sort of came up last year(the supermarkets). I'd watch out for PC as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

I took up economics on my own this year so am really freaking out about it. I would love an A1 but not totally sure what to study!
    I have these done so far:
    Elasticity
    Demand and supply
    Factors of production
    all the markets
    international trade
    economic growth and development
    population

Is that enough?! :confused:

Seeing as you only answer 4 questions, you are grand. You have practically everything covered for 4 questions.

Also, when people say population, what do you mean? My book doesn't have anything on population, just birth rate, fertility rate etc, is that what you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

Topical questions:
    NAMA
    Unemployment
    Deflation
    Cross-border shopping (i.e. £ vs. euro)
    Budget Deficit (will probably come up in National Income question)

Public Sector Wage Bill came up in the mocks, and GNP vs. GDP

Hope that helps! Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

im doing

1. oligopoly
    2. demand and supply
    3. elasticity
    4. International Trade
    5. Goverment and Tax
    6. perfect competition
    that alright???oh and this might make for intresting reading if your mad into your economics :D

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/euro-slide-and-growth-in-exports-to-boost-our-economy-2229524.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Ashashi wrote: »
    Seeing as you only answer 4 questions, you are grand. You have practically everything covered for 4 questions.

Also, when people say population, what do you mean? My book doesn't have anything on population, just birth rate, fertility rate etc, is that what you mean?

Yep! And just the impact of increasing/decreasing birth rates and immigration.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 EveBann

The guy on countdown to 906 mentioned Price Discriminating Monopolist as well as Oligopoly,the effects of Nationalisation and how elasticity effects profit levels.

Sophsxxx wrote: »
    Yep! And just the impact of increasing/decreasing birth rates and immigration.
    :D

That's grand so. Bring it on at this stage, quite easily one of my favorite subjects anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Ok after oligoplay what else are people thinking to come up as a market structure, I have a funny feeling monoplay is going to make a show

I think they may throw in Monopoly, just to throw people off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Imperfect will come up again this year. 4/1 not bad odds.

Finical wrote: »
    Imperfect will come up again this year. 4/1 not bad odds.

Boland...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

EveBann wrote: »
    Boland...

Ah get over it. English is done so quit talking rubbish about Eavan Boland. Anything I ever learnt about her has been deleted from my memory. So if you have nothing to contribute on economics please keep quiet. It
    more important to me than an exam i did 2 weeks ago and cant change anything about.

Ah get over it. English is done so quit talking rubbish about Eavan Boland. Anything I ever learnt about her has been deleted from my memory. So if you have nothing to contribute on economics please keep quiet. It
    more important to me than an exam i did 2 weeks ago and cant change anything about.

Haha joking?I didnt study Boland thanks very much!Just saying its not as predictable this year as others!

EveBann wrote: »
    Haha joking?I didnt study Boland thanks very much!Just saying its not as predictable this year as others!
    Exactly why I said imperfect competition, a market has never come in in two consecutive years.

Sorry hate to double post,but didnt get a reply!:(

Am I doing enough with:
    1. Oligopoly
    2. Perfect Competition
    3. International Trade
    4. Goverment and Taxation
    5. Elasticity
    6. Demand and Supply
    any thoughts?
    just wanna be better safe than sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

its_phil wrote: »
    Sorry hate to double post,but didnt get a reply!:(

Am I doing enough with:
    1. Oligopoly
    2. Perfect Competition
    3. International Trade
    4. Goverment and Taxation
    5. Elasticity
    6. Demand and Supply
    any thoughts?
    just wanna be better safe than sorry!

you could be lucky if they all come up as a ful question but pc and oligoplay wil only be 1 question. International trade will mix in with government in some way and taxation is never enough for a full question. have demand and supply fully covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Oligopoly
    National Income
    International Trade
    Demand/Supply
    Elasticity
    Population

And maybe Capital for F.O.P.'s, I heard thats the one to come up most likely, but we didnt go through that one in school so I made not have time
    Any advice for short Q's? I've been going through past exam papers and just doing them. Any advice for particular graphs? Dumb question I know.

• Advertisement

ps3man wrote: »
    taxation is never enough for a full question.

taxation showed up as a full question in 08 and 05...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

jst want dis **** over with now. need an a1 but wont get it so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Aisling x

i'm doing
    demand/supply/elasticity
    oligopoly
    price level
    national income
    banking
    international trade
    balance of payments
    land
    economic development and growth

do most people leave out history of economic thought or what? i personally HATE it..
    15 hours til i'm finished :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

thats basically wat im doin 2. i would love if loca comes up..oligopoly...deflation yeooooo

Aisling x wrote: »
    do most people leave out history of economic thought or what? i personally HATE it..

Im just going over short notes on Smith,Ricardo and Keynes..could come up as 20 marker at the end of Nat. Income

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

aw .. im screwed .. have to pass h. economics and i no only stuff on oligopoly ... help me to get my ass to pass . what should i study .. i just need a pass :< :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

Areq wrote: »
    aw .. im screwed .. have to pass h. economics and i no only stuff on oligopoly ... help me to get my ass to pass . what should i study .. i just need a pass :< :confused:

Why do you need higher? If you feel like you're not gonna pass higher, move to ordinary?

Just the regular Demand/supply, elasticity, international trade.

I wouldn't go over the other markets now too late, sure I would say oligopoly has a good chance anyways.

The tipped things are land,oligopoly,price discriminating monopolist,demand and supply and the govt and banking come up most years..if you study those hopefully it'll be enough to cover you..and for the general ones you can kind of make up stuff about falling employment and consequences and stuff like that.For a lot of the macro if you can think on your feet and explain your reasons then they cant really be wrong.

• Advertisement

on just tonight for pass in order:
    elasticity
    demand and supply
    national income
    int.trade

do a load of past short q's aswell,they are very repetive and 25% of paper.

some will disagree,but best of luck bud!

Advertisement