Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toughest sportive in Ireland, apparently

• 22-06-2010 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Anyone here done the Mourne Sportive? It's billed by the organisers as the 'toughest one day sportive in Ireland', and with 3300+ metres of climbing squeezed into 169k, I'm not about to argue. (I'm sure there are more insane audax events, but they are a different beast). I'm strongly considering signing up as I have a rare free weekend around then (8th August).

And anyone else here up for some suffering of the long drawn out hilly variety?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

lukester wrote: »
    Anyone here done the Mourne Sportive? It's billed by the organisers as the 'toughest one day sportive in Ireland', and with 3300+ metres of climbing squeezed into 169k, I'm not about to argue. (I'm sure there are more insane audax events, but they are a different beast). I'm strongly considering signing up as I have a rare free weekend around then (8th August).

And anyone else here up for some suffering of the long drawn out hilly variety?
    Did it last year. I did the 125 with Wobbits. I think you have to prove your ability to enter the 169Km. How exactly, I don't recall. The 125 was hard enough.
    Neither of us felt great that day but we did it anyways. It was constantly rolling and twisting with virtually no straights or flat bits. Not knowing the roads and the sheer amount of turns, led me to believe we were just going round in circles.

I'll be doing it again this year. There were some great climbs. The food stops were good. Numbers weren't too high, which I like. And there was a burger van at the end, the key to any great sporting event. And drinks available in a clubhouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Was talking to el tel about this, am on hols at the time so not around but would love to do it as roads would be good and you should get some great views helping you to forget the pain. He strongly recomended it!

Intend on getting up to do some of the route at some stage this year as i reckon it would excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Interested.. It's the same day with Tour of Kildare, which was fun and hammerfest but nothing too special. This looks like a nice sufferfest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

@pete I don't think you have to prove your ability, but they limit the numbers to 60 for the sportive proper. I emailed them and there are still places, so shouldn't be a problem getting on. I already read your report- it sounds maddeningly up and down, which is to be expected with the number of vertical metres- no proper long climbs in this country. But I like the sound of the challenge, so think I'll go for it. And burger vans FTW.

@Astra Monti I was considering the Tour of Kildare also, but it's a bit short given that I have a rare full weekend free. I want to pack the entire day with pain.

• Advertisement

lukester wrote: »
    @pete I don't think you have to prove your ability, but they limit the numbers to 60 for the sportive proper.

Yeah you're right, maybe it was this warning I was thinking of: "For very fit competitive cyclists and is only available to those that have pre-registered on-line. Same first half to lunch in Leitrim as the Hilly 125K"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

What was the average road surface like last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CompositeJohn

I rode the sportive last year, very very tough and a long day in the saddle. Planning to go back this year but have just moved back to Galway from Belfast so not 100%

I remember see the backside of Joe Barr tearing off up one of the climbs and the rest of us trying to dig in but never ever going to stay with the pace. 125 would probably be a more enjoyable day but why wimp out :-P

Only thing that came close was the Inishowen 100 the following week and thats only because I didnt eat properly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Yeah you're right, maybe it was this warning I was thinking of: "For very fit competitive cyclists and is only available to those that have pre-registered on-line. Same first half to lunch in Leitrim as the Hilly 125K"

I saw that. I'm a moderately fit cyclist with as yet unfulfilled competitive aspirations. Still probably going to do it.

I think the pre-reg for the sportive is just to help them gauge numbers to plan for marshalling that extra part of the route- the 125 appears the most popular event.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CompositeJohn

Right well I signed up last night, otherwise i wouldnt do it!

Im trying to think but I dont think the 60 was reached last year but could be wrong, didnt seem like that many, maybe 40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

The full length event really is a tough one, maybe the Tour of The Glens would rival it for hardness (esp this year with the extremely poor weather they had), but the scenery in the Mournes is cracking. I'll be giving the shorter one a go I think.

Another good one in the North, and with a with a stunning mountain finish is the Phoenix Sportive aka The Divis Challenge on 4th July. 160 or 100kms

http://www.phoenix-sportive.co.uk/

Advertisement