Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

geography project

• 22-06-2010 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭

ok so i know im like 3 months late for this topic, but im wondering - how did you do your project? did your teacher call it out to you, and then you just copy it straight down? did you re-write what they said into your own words? did you do it all yourself?
    my teacher called it out to us, then we went home and wrote it into a different booklet in our own words - but im kind of afraid mine will be too similar to others
    im hoping for an A1 in geography, and if i end up with 0 on this ill cry :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

muffinz wrote: »
    ok so i know im like 3 months late for this topic, but im wondering - how did you do your project? did your teacher call it out to you, and then you just copy it straight down? did you re-write what they said into your own words? did you do it all yourself?
    my teacher called it out to us, then we went home and wrote it into a different booklet in our own words - but im kind of afraid mine will be too similar to others
    im hoping for an A1 in geography, and if i end up with 0 on this ill cry :(

My whole class had a nearly identical project going off! Same with all the other geo classes in my school! Nothing to worry about it's just one of those projects where it's all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

thaks a mill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ThePower180

We took the day off and did it and brought a photocopy of last years booklets with us and wrote down must stuff!.. We changed bits around when we were writing it into the real booklet!..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

We went through each thing we had to do measure gradient, width etc and wrote a page about each one, we got key words from our teacher but then had to do it ourselves. She took each one up and corrected them and when we had about 8/9 done we split them up into two methods and wrote into a practise booklet. They were then corrected and we wrote it into the real booklet. Was tough work and for a few weeks my head was melted with it, hoping for the twenty percent but it was very long.

wow thats alotta work! ours werent send out till after the closing date, the end or start of april or whenever it was, i hope it was ok D: all the bloody chavs in my class that never turn up for school kept missing days, and then the teacher would spend ages catching up and then it would happen again and again -.-
    then they were always out, and the final date came and went, i think they were all collected up 3 days after the final date or something.. if i lose 20% coz of them i will actually hunt down their chavvy asses and kick them into next week

• Advertisement

Yeah it really was, we spent a good few weeks on it and then had extra classes to catch up every week for a year. Was pretty intense! Luckily no problems with lateness as my teacher gave us plenty of time but i'm almost postive every single one of us had over a thousand words. Mine was over 2 thousand but I was told it was fine so hopefully no marks taken off.

mine was 1200 but my teacher scared me into making it less, i got it down to 1090 but i literally could not get rid of anything else, it was all vital! and its not like the word count is necessary, if its a bunch of waffle then ok but what we have down is going to be relevant, necessary information, the limit annoys me so much!
    we never started our project till late Jan! what about everyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Our teacher wrote out bullet points on the board and suggested the way we presented our results in tables/graphs etc.

But we had to use the bullet points to form a proper report and change it round to suit us depending what we did in the study. It was also left up to us to decide what type of diagram/chart would best be suited for displaying each piece of information, however most people seemed to just discuss this between themselves and use the same charts anyway...!

I ended up with WAY too many words though - about 1600! Took me longer to cut down words than it did to write the damned thing in the first place! :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

We did our write-up in practice booklets at the end of fifth year, and then transferred them into the real booklets in 6th year, after our teacher had gone through them and attached a 'report' to each booklet outlining the changes and additions that need to be made!

However, mine was over 2000 words, which freaks me out a bit as I hope I don't lose marks!. I write down something like 1060 on the booklet but it is a blatant lie - I didn't want to write down the actual figure as I didn't want to draw attention to the error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

We did our write-up in practice booklets at the end of fifth year, and then transferred them into the real booklets in 6th year, after our teacher had gone through them and attached a 'report' to each booklet outlining the changes and additions that need to be made!

However, mine was over 2000 words, which freaks me out a bit as I hope I don't lose marks!. I write down something like 1060 on the booklet but it is a blatant lie - I didn't want to write down the actual figure as I didn't want to draw attention to the error.

Mine was over 1800 words as well and I honestly couldn't imagine writing less, in fact I could've wrote a hell of a lot more I put down 1100 on the front! :L

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Mine was over 1800 words as well and I honestly couldn't imagine writing less, in fact I could've wrote a hell of a lot more I put down 1100 on the front! :L

Geography is a subject where the more you write, the more marks you get. This applies to both the exam in June and the project completed prior to the exam. It is therefore unreasonable to expect us to cut down what we have written. I know they want us to be 'concise' but it is impossible to make the required amounts of points and elaborate briefly on each one with quality in the word limit they have set.

Honestly, however, I think the purpose of the word limit is to stop people from writing 'phonebooks' in the hope of full marks, and thus making the corrector's job easier. I don't think a corrector could dock you marks unless (s)he is sure that you have exceeded the limit, and to be sure, they would have to count. I honestly doubt that they would go to the effort of counting words.

Even for my own project I didn't count the words. I wrote it out on the computer first and let MS Word count the words!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

Geography is a subject where the more you write, the more marks you get. This applies to both the exam in June and the project completed prior to the exam. It is therefore unreasonable to expect us to cut down what we have written. I know they want us to be 'concise' but it is impossible to make the required amounts of points and elaborate briefly on each one with quality in the word limit they have set.

Honestly, however, I think the purpose of the word limit is to stop people from writing 'phonebooks' in the hope of full marks, and thus making the corrector's job easier. I don't think a corrector could dock you marks unless (s)he is sure that you have exceeded the limit, and to be sure, they would have to count. I honestly doubt that they would go to the effort of counting words.

Even for my own project I didn't count the words. I wrote it out on the computer first and let MS Word count the words!

A girl in my class wrote 3000 words I have no idea how she managed to squeeze all the words into the booklet-mine was fairly cramped at 1800-1900(was a rough estimate)

My writing was tiny but I couldn't manage 3000 words :eek: I did however have an awful lot of words and wrote a lot more on/beside the diagrams :o Only finished in April so it was definitely good to get it finished after all of the hard work and then get all of the revision started.

3000 holy crap! i didnt even think the booklet could hold more than 2000!!
    so you think that the date my teacher sent it away doesnt matter? actually when do they correct it? with our exam bookletc aswell?

They aren't sent away. When you did your Geography exam, the superintendent put it in a red folder with your exam number on it - this contains your field study. So don't worry if you were late handing it in - they will never know!

Phew!! I added in a few extra pie charts and stuff just so it would be different to everyone elses... Hope it pays off:pac:

Advertisement