Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolling Rock on Ireland

Options
  • 22-06-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

I love a good beer-Brahma, Bud, Labatts etc but I've been pining for a Rolling Rock since 2006 when Anheuser Busch bought out the Pensylvanian beer. Managed to have a few in New York in2008 but would love to know why in the name of God this beer is not prevalent in Irish pubs and off-licences. Does anyone know if it is being supplied anywhere in the Republic??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

DOn't think many on here will agree with you that Bud is in anyway close to a good beer :p

However Rolling Rock has been available in Ireland for a good few years and I can remember drinking it when I lived in Dublin and that is over 6 years ago. I've also seen it in plenty of offlicences since unless it has suddenly stopped. Check your local quality offlicence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Ahh but Brahma is.Anyway, it disappeared when buds company bought it out in 2006, seems that nobody has taken up the supplying of it in Ireland.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

None of those beers are good imo, but to each their own etc. I've seen rolling rock in offys but not quite as often as in the past. Could possibly be surplus to requirements now that people can get the main brand lagers a lot cheaper the market for RR is a lot smaller.

Well if you see it anywhere please let me know exactly where!Thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I saw some people drinks it a few weeks ago. I'm sure its around. its a bit like piss though imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Van Occupanther

Said it before but all of the above beers manage to taste like piss and nothing at the same time. Rolling Rock best of a bad lot though in fairness

They may taste like piss but millions of people still drink them, I find the above to be a light and refreshing break from the likes of Warfsteiner, Tyskie etc. Can you recommend something new for my tastebuds, I had an Austrian beer Stiegl some time ago which I wouldnt mind revisiting if found in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NoMis

Im with tombliboo, I used to quite enjoy RR back in the day but it seems to have vanished off of all off license's shelves since 2006, in Dublin at least. If anyone does happen to spot them selling it somewere the location would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

i quite enjoy a bud now and again.....provided its budvar!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

Has anybody found Rolling Rock yet?:confused:

• Advertisement

i just emailed their headquarters in the US, so fingers crossed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

benj wrote: »
    yep. fingers crossed the email falls down the gaps of the internet :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Though their real headquarters is in Belgium :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Don't understand the interest in Rolling Rock, a beer that tastes of nothing, especially since there's a choice of hundreds of good beers in decent off licenses in Ireland now, would be like going to Paris and hoping there was a Mc Donalds to eat in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Think you can get it in O'Brien's.

I got a reply... :mad:

Dear Benj

Many thanks for your recent e-mail. I’m glad you’re such a big fan of Rolling Rock, and I’ll be happy to talk about its availability in Ireland.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Rolling Rock is not available in Ireland at this time. I apologize for any disappointment this may cause. Although there are no plans to reintroduce Rolling Rock to Ireland, your interest will be kept in mind as we consider our plans for 2010 and beyond!

At this time, Rolling Rock is only available in the US. If you ever make a trip to the states, be sure to shoot me an e-mail or give me a call so I can track down a few bottles for you. To see what others are saying about Rolling Rock, check out www.facebook.com/RollingRock!

Thanks again for the e-mail, Benj If you have additional questions or comments, please let me know. I hope you can enjoy an ice cold Rolling Rock the next time you’re in the US!

Cheers,

Reed
    Your Friend at Rolling Rock
    1-800-337-6554

Don't understand the interest in Rolling Rock, a beer that tastes of nothing, especially since there's a choice of hundreds of good beers in decent off licenses in Ireland now, would be like going to Paris and hoping there was a Mc Donalds to eat in.

i used to drink it in da good ole days when i was a singleton and i saw it in a movie the other night and just have a longing for it now :)

Next Door told me it isn't supplied to Ireland a while ago. Cant even find it to buy anywhere online

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ahh but Brahma is.
    Brahma comes in a clear bottle, a general rule of thumb is to avoid beers in clear bottles, few self respecting brewrys would put beer in a clear bottle as it leaves it open to risk of degredation by light -this leads to off flavours which many cite as the reason people resort to putting lime or lemon slices in the necks of bottles to mask the disgusting taste. If they put it in a clear bottle they are in effect showing they have more interest in marketing than in getting a quality product to their customer.
    Many people do not actually like the taste of beer, they drink to get drunk and want as little flavour as possible, so you have ice cold bud being sold to further numb the taste buds and make it somewhat palatable. I remember 2 different guys in work on different occasions being pretty shocked that I actually like the taste of beer, both drank bud and had no problem saying they do not like the taste of beers, but it was in their mind "the best of a bad bunch". They just viewed it as a drug and wanted it cheap as possible -spirits with mixers are incredibly expensive relative to beer, so they stuck with it.

I know guys who prefer easy singles over proper cheese, burgers over fillet steak, and "cod portions" over a proper battered fresh cod. -each to their own.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Rolling Rock is not available in Ireland at this time.
    If it is in the UK it could appear here. My local eurospar had glasgow heineken alongside our heineken, many will source from other countries. It used to come and go on offer in many offies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

rubadub wrote: »
    My local eurospar had glasgow heineken alongside our heineken

Which version won the "MEDAILLE D'OR PARIS 1875" and all those other awards it has on the bottle ? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

rubadub said: "Many people do not actually like the taste of beer, they drink to get drunk and want as little flavour as possible, so you have ice cold bud being sold to further numb the taste buds and make it somewhat palatable. I remember 2 different guys in work on different occasions being pretty shocked that I actually like the taste of beer, both drank bud and had no problem saying they do not like the taste of beers, but it was in their mind "the best of a bad bunch". They just viewed it as a drug and wanted it cheap as possible -spirits with mixers are incredibly expensive relative to beer, so they stuck with it.

I know guys who prefer easy singles over proper cheese, burgers over fillet steak, and "cod portions" over a proper battered fresh cod. -each to their own."

Fair enough, but then why do they bother posting on this forum, I've no interest in rugby, computer games and cars so don't waste my time on those forums. All they need to do is buy own brand supermarket beer if thats the extent of their interest in the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Fair enough, but then why do they bother posting on this forum, I've no interest in rugby, computer games and cars so don't waste my time on those forums. All they need to do is buy own brand supermarket beer if thats the extent of their interest in the subject.

Some people will use this forum thinking it's a catch all place to talk about any old beer, drinking games, avoiding hangovers etc when it's more of a place to speak about the good side of drink and the issues involved in the industry. That's why we get people who reckon Bud or Carlsberg is a decent brew or whatever label it is this week; they know no better.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Wow, I really can't believe someone is looking for Rolling Rock. Where I live (in Philly), RR is the bottom-of-the-barrel bargain-basement beer. A crowd of us used to go to a bar every Friday night that had all-you-could-drink RR for two hours for ten bucks. All the food you could eat also thrown in.

Still, though, if its what you like, hopefully you will track some down eventually. If you are ever in the States, it is often on happy hour specials so you will at least be drinking for cheap.

Us poor peasents know no better, either do the other few million people. We'll continue to slum it and God forbid we'll ever have an opinion on which beer we like Adolf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

rubadub wrote: »
    Brahma comes in a clear bottle, a general rule of thumb is to avoid beers in clear bottles, few self respecting brewrys would put beer in a clear bottle as it leaves it open to risk of degredation by light -this leads to off flavours which many cite as the reason people resort to putting lime or lemon slices in the necks of bottles to mask the disgusting taste. If they put it in a clear bottle they are in effect showing they have more interest in marketing than in getting a quality product to their customer.

Shepherd Neame put their ales in clear bottles. Couple this with Tesco putting the bottles on the open top shelf of many displays (Dundrum Tesco), and you get a lot of dud bottles. Which is a shame, as I like many of the range, and they are cheap. Find myself picking up O'Hara's or London Pride instead as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭noelo

I love a good beer-Brahma, Bud, Labatts etc but I've been pining for a Rolling Rock since 2006 when Anheuser Busch bought out the Pensylvanian beer. Managed to have a few in New York in2008 but would love to know why in the name of God this beer is not prevalent in Irish pubs and off-licences. Does anyone know if it is being supplied anywhere in the Republic??
    I used to guy it in obrians for 1 euro a bottle, hope this helps. do yu know were i can get stiegl the austrian beer? cheers noelo

rubadub said: "Many people do not actually like the taste of beer, they drink to get drunk and want as little flavour as possible, so you have ice cold bud being sold to further numb the taste buds and make it somewhat palatable. I remember 2 different guys in work on different occasions being pretty shocked that I actually like the taste of beer, both drank bud and had no problem saying they do not like the taste of beers, but it was in their mind "the best of a bad bunch". They just viewed it as a drug and wanted it cheap as possible -spirits with mixers are incredibly expensive relative to beer, so they stuck with it.

I know guys who prefer easy singles over proper cheese, burgers over fillet steak, and "cod portions" over a proper battered fresh cod. -each to their own."

just breathing life into this again...........thats mad, i cant understand those guy's. I love that real strong beer taste. its cold refreshing crisp and one is unique

enda1 wrote: »
    Think you can get it in O'Brien's.
    i also seen it in o brians, i got it and on the bottle is saids brewed in the uk, i wouldn consider putting it on my top 100 beers, i find that its just another weak tasting american bud, but thats just me

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Which version won the "MEDAILLE D'OR PARIS 1875" and all those other awards it has on the bottle ? :pac:
    plus it s stronger :)

• Advertisement

They may taste like piss but millions of people still drink them, I find the above to be a light and refreshing break from the likes of Warfsteiner, Tyskie etc. Can you recommend something new for my tastebuds, I had an Austrian beer Stiegl some time ago which I wouldnt mind revisiting if found in Ireland

hi ,Did you find stiegl beer in dublin yet? i also love it but cant find it,well one place @6 euro a bottle, can you help?

Advertisement