Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy step-down convertors near Dublin?

• 22-06-2010 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

Looking to buy a 1500W or 3000W 220-110 stepdown convertor so we can use some small appliances from the US.

Is there a local place to buy these, or will I have to import one from the UK and pay the (ridiculous) shipping fees?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Any hire shop or builders merchants. About 75euro for a 1500VA one they will do 3000VA but not for long periods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Don't use anything with a AC or Mains motor in it. Not safe on the changed frequency.

Don't use an auto-transformer, you need isolated 110. Also Builders transformers use a centre earth and are isolated.

Avoid travel adaptors.

Generally it's a bad idea safety wise using USA appliances in Europe. If something has an external PSU "brick" or wall wart get a replacement 220V power unit.

Some appliances are labelled 110 -- 240V and will run directly, either automatically or with switch (sometimes behind a rear panel). You must NOT use the US blade plug with adaptor if this is case as that plug is unsafe for 220V. Cut it off and fit a UK/Irish 3 ping plug leaving large earth pin unconnected and the required fuse (current will be 1/2 the USA current).

What sorts of appliances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

We got rid of most of our appliances, but wanted to bring a few that would be really expensive to replace: Kitchenaid Mixer, VitaMix and Cuisinart food processor. The Vitamix is OK with 50/60Hz, though I'm not sure about the others. I was under the impression that for limited use, running at 50Hz would be OK as long as it wasn't being run constantly and an appropriate transformer/convertor was used...?

Aside from that, we're buying replacement wall-warts and line-lumps where applicable.

Can you recommend any shops in particular (by name)?

Best place is maybe Heiton-Buckley Nationwide

http://www.heitonbuckley.ie/

(The website is just a glossy brochure, no relation to what is in store!)

Here is the ONLY safe kind of thing for 110V US gear on 220V mains
    Typical 3KVA Site Transformer
    http://www.handyhardware.ie/product/562/110V-Transformer-3.3KVA-Symbol
    MakeThumbImage.aspx?ID=%2fPortals%2f0%2fMcLoughlins%2fBBE_0701006.jpg

You'll find that replacement appliances from Argos is less expense and bother than a proper safe 110V transformer.

It will have a round industrial connetor. They sell the plugs too. Buy one and put a US socket strip on the cable as the industrial plugs are too big and awkward (they are for building sites!).

Thanks for that. The Vitamix alone is worth about $500USD, and the Kitchenaid is about $400. With a transformer runnning 100-200 Euro, it seems more economical to try this out.

That was one of the models I was looking at - curious at how it differs from one of these types: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-Step-Down-Transformer-sockets/dp/B0009K6M4Y/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277230504&sr=1-15

Thanks again for the advice.

• Advertisement

The Tacima is not as safe and I seriously doubt that it really can do 1000VA

The example I posted is actually mass produced shower proof outdoor meeting Building site safety standards, though cheaper it's about x4 the power capacity and safer!. Hence different to the low power indoor niche market unit.

See what price Heitons is.

That Tacima looks an over priced piece of crap.

The building site transformer that watty posted a picture of will do what it says on the box 3KVA max and 1500VA continuous. You aren't going to be using the full 3KVA but but get the 3KVA version as they always quote the max non continuous load so if it says 1.5KVA on the box it will only be 750VA for continous use. My 3.3KVA version says 5min use at full load then allow to cool for 10min but 1.5KV for continuous use. Cheapest I can get one locally in a builders merchants is 79.99euro another place locally has them for around 95euro, but I'm no where near Wicklow.

If you don't mind paying a premium price most hire shops will have them for sale.

This one on eBay will do what you want about 90euro delivered if you can't find one locally Twin Outlet Transformer 3.3kva I've use the eBay seller and found them very reliable.

Picked up a 3.3KVA transformer from Heiton Buckley's in Bray yesterday. About 80Euro. Sadly, they didn't have any 110V leads, so I'm still searching.

Will something like this work? http://www.safetydirect.ie/ShowProduct.aspx?prodid=600&flag=true

I can't see the 110V plug to confirm it is a US style plug.

And a follow-on-question. If I change the plug, and use an 240V bulb, can I use a US-made lamp in Ireland? We have some lovely antique lamps we'd like to use if it is safe to do so.

The outlets on http://www.safetydirect.ie/ShowProduct.aspx?prodid=600&flag=true will be the same socket as on the transformer. You need a US extension socket strip and buy the yellow plug with the round pins (loads of places have them, only a Euro or Two) and fit that on the cable of the US socket strip.

You would need the US lamps "PAT" tested. Many have metal bodies and two pin cables with no earth and thus don't meet saftey standards for 220V. Also US style centre spot bulbs, while used on spots here are unsafe on European Electricity, that's why the "official" lamp sockets are bayonet not screw, with two spot connections for power.

Any metal lamp needs 3 core flex with earth. You need a qualified appliance testing electrician (not just a "sparks" that does wiring) to establish which lamps are best kept at 110V and which can be safely used at 220V. You can also get cheaply "Brass" bayonet light sockets for replacement fitting on lamps with an earth wire screw inside. These have a threaded base which should match the existing socket close enough to screw on.

Thanks, Watty. Seems like it might be less expensive in the long run just to have the lamps refitted for 220V from scratch. They're quite simple, and I can't imagine it would cost a lot to have done. The lamp bodies are marble (family heirlooms), with a hollow shaft. Should be pretty simple to re-wire I would think. Recommendations?

• Advertisement

Check out good Hardware stores and also places like B&Q, Atlantic, Homebase.

Brass bayonet lamp sockets
    The 3 core flex is in "gold", white, black and brown colours. Lightweight 5A rated cable.
    green/yellow wire to lampsocket body
    blue and brown each to one lamp terminal

In 3 pin mains plug from top with cover removed:
    Top larger pin is yellow/green.
    Fuse is supplied as 13A, replace it with a 3A when wiring lamp flex. The fuse is always rated for weight of cable copper, not the appliance.
    Brown to fuse/right and Blue to left pin (cover off and larger earth pin at top).

The lamp sockets have two varieties:
    unthreaded for hanging cables/ bulbs
    Threaded to screw on pipe for fixed sockets. There are also small brass threaded adaptors with 3 screw holes for mounting on wooden lamp stands or metal / marble with three screw holes instead of single threaded pipe/tube.

Hey Watty - I've been to 4 builders-merchants/electrician shops and 3 DIY stores - none of them have the 16A 110V US mains lead cable I need. Do you have any links for shops inside Ireland where I can buy one online? Apparently the one I found on Amazon UK can't be shipped here for some reason...

Hey Watty - I've been to 4 builders-merchants/electrician shops and 3 DIY stores - none of them have the 16A 110V US mains lead cable I need. Do you have any links for shops inside Ireland where I can buy one online? Apparently the one I found on Amazon UK can't be shipped here for some reason...

You could always take the plugs off your appliances and put on the big ugly yellow 110V plugs
    PL0943506-40.jpg
    and use something like the 4 way box you linked to earlier if you need more than the 2 outlets you get on the transformer itself?

buy this (or similar) on ebay and put yellow plug on the cable
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Wiremold-120V-10-Outlet-Plug-In-PDU-Surge-Power-Strip-/150462502920?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2308439808
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/C-0702-Channel-Vision-C-0702-Power-strip-AC-120-V-/390198933837?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad9ab394d

US wiring
    Black = live
    White = neutral
    Green to fat middle pin, earth.

Amazon won't ship any US mains adaptors to Europe for safety reasons because they don't know you have a safety transformer.

Thanks for that. I found the proper cable on Amazon UK, so strange they wouldn't ship to Ireland. Anyway - I have a friend who is going to try to get one for me via England, and if that doesn't work out, I'll do the above and rewire a US power strip with the standard 16A plug. Thanks.

Got the cable issues all sorted - thanks for the help, everyone.

Watty - Question about wiring those lamps...

I have all the necessary parts to do this myself now, save for the 3A fuses (I have 13A and just need to swap them). The lamps are antique, and the base is marble, but they're the wireframe holders with (I think) brass tubing through the body. Needless to say, I'd like to ground/earth them, so I got 3 conductor wire. The original wiring was only 2 conductor, though, so there isn't anywhere 'ready-made' to connect the earth. Suggestions on how to do it safely?

The Brass (or Brass effect) metal Bayonet lamp fittings have a 3rd earth terminal. Usually.

e.g.
    http://www.bygonelighting.co.uk/brass-switched-bc-bulb-holder-brass-bronze-nickel-21-p.asp
    http://www.lampsandlights.co.uk/lampholders.htm

Most are 1/2" thread. US uses "imperial", so high probability fittings will fit. There are adaptors too.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1329&C=SO&U=strat15
    Maplin (Jarvis St Dublin) and Blanchardstown.

Have a look in Atlantic, Homebase, B&Q and local hardware stores.

Thanks for that. I think I purchased the wrong type of lamp fittings, so I'll see if I can return them and exchange for brass with the earth terminal. (The ones I purchased are plastic, unearthed). Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

TheBard

Did you get your Vitmix working ?? , I have the same problem, I need to convert a 120V 11.5 Amp device (1380 Watt), device and is 50-60 Hz.

Would appreciate any advice on getting this working, from looking at the thread and it looks like I need to get a step down transformer, and specific cable from the transformer to connect to american plug on the VitaMix ??

Thanks in advance

Yes - Vitamix and Kitchenaid blender work fine. You need the big yellow step-down transformer mentioned earlier (called a 'site transformer' sometimes) - I bought mine locally at Heaton Buckley.

The cable to adapt from the weird round 3-pin to a standard US I had to order from Amazon UK.

• Advertisement

TheBard

Thanks for the prompt reply, I appreciate it

Will check out the lead I need to connect between Vitamix and Transformer, and get back with result

Go raibh maith agat TheBard

You have saved me a lot of lookin, thanks for all the help

Advertisement