Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL chemistry aftermath

• 22-06-2010 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Yeah so i fecdked that up but i dont even need to pass it so its ok XD ill be ecstatic with a d3!
    hope you all got on great though..god bless that radiation question!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mark.oc

Overall I was pretty happy with the paper. Got all 11 questions done so I'm pretty hopeful that the result will be alright.

Some of the questions on the experiments were a bit dodgy though. I didn't think the name of edta was on the course. And wtf is the IUPAC name for glycerol? I couldn't find it in the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

Was aiming for C1 or B3 and I think I got it, so it wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

It went okay.. I just hope I got the C3 minimum... where the hell was bleach though?

IUPAC Name of Glycerol: propan-1,2,3-triol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

mark.oc wrote: »
    Overall I was pretty happy with the paper. Got all 11 questions done so I'm pretty hopeful that the result will be alright.

Some of the questions on the experiments were a bit dodgy though. I didn't think the name of edta was on the course. And wtf is the IUPAC name for glycerol? I couldn't find it in the book.

edta was definitely on the course - Our teacher made us highlight it and put big huge stars around it so we'd learn it haha. And kept making us say it....

The IUPAC name for glycerol is propan1-2-3triol. It's not in the book (if you have chemistry live).... Our teacher made us write it in beside glycerol though. I had to visualise where I'd written it on the page to remember it hahaha! And then I wasn't sure if I was right! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Very pleased, by my low standards that was fine and I think I got a high C. The others in my class (all aiming for an A) thought it was a hard one.

Q4 and the equilibrium question were easy, you had passed it with just the definitions.
    wayhey wrote: »
    It went okay.. I just hope I got the C3 minimum... where the hell was bleach though?

IUPAC Name of Glycerol: propan-1,2,3-triol

I got that :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 mark.oc

edta was definitely on the course - Our teacher made us highlight it and put big huge stars around it so we'd learn it haha. And kept making us say it....

The IUPAC name for glycerol is propan1-2-3triol. It's not in the book (if you have chemistry live).... Our teacher made us write it in beside glycerol though. I had to visualise where I'd written it on the page to remember it hahaha! And then I wasn't sure if I was right! :P
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

I think I passed it. Seriously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

oh well...*burns books* glad everyone got on good :) looked like an easy paper if i read anything because i recognised all of it! XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Cheers.

haha np, those things are only worth a small amount of marks anyway. :) I don't think they'll make a massive difference...! (I think I read before you were looking for an A?)

As for me, I went into the exam thinking I'd fail and came out with a possible B! I think I'm the only person who liked Q5 though....! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Glycerol is propan1-2-3triol? Right... I hazarded a guess with "1,2,3-tri-propanol"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 yaknowamsayin

Yeah same wtf, I can't find the glycerol one either! I left it blanck though, so if they decide to give out marks to anyone who attempted it, I missed the boat :( I feel awful after that paper, and I thought I'd be getting a A1. Thank christ its all over now though. Finished, and never have to do a leaving cert again! Touch wood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Just one to go now!! Thought it was reasonable, there were some nasty bits, like Q9(f) which our teacher said wasn't on the course, and Q11(c), which gave no choice for the manufacturing stuff, where I'd done magnesium and not oxygen. Q5 was awful too. Still reckon I scraped the A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I just hope I passed :) It was okay but nothing amazing by any means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

That test was fúcking horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Though it was a tough one really, hardest in years.. A lot of little tricks in the questions and predictions weren't that spot on...WHERE was py precious volatile liquid and bleach??! Hope I scraped the A1...debatable though!!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

What the hell was the story with the Industrial chem q in 11.c)?!?!?!?!

It was only about air manfacture, but our class only did ammonia
    I thought we had a choice between the 3 different case studies :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Psychedelia

zam wrote: »
    Glycerol is propan1-2-3triol? Right... I hazarded a guess with "1,2,3-tri-propanol"...

same!

i've seen variations of other iupac names so i'm going to go ahead and say we're right too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

whelpy wrote: »
    What the hell was the story with the Industrial chem q in 11.c)?!?!?!?!

It was only about air manfacture, but our class only did ammonia
    I thought we had a choice between the 3 different case studies :mad::mad::mad:

No it's like ammonia or magnesium, but Oxygen manufacture is on it as well. (I knew that but STILL couldn't answer :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

Just one to go now!! Thought it was reasonable, there were some nasty bits, like Q9(f) which our teacher said wasn't on the course, and Q11(c), which gave no choice for the manufacturing stuff, where I'd done magnesium and not oxygen. Q5 was awful too. Still reckon I scraped the A1.

I wondered about that as well actually, I thought they had to give the choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FreeT

The IUPAC name for glycerol is propan1-2-3triol. It's not in the book (if you have chemistry live)

It is mentioned. Only once though! Page 353.
    I didn't get it, btw...

I really hope they mark this year easy, so many of my explanations just waffled on.:(

• Advertisement

I wondered about that as well actually, I thought they had to give the choice?
    Apparently, as my aunt has just told me, Oxygen is part of Atmospheric Chemistry, and therefore not optional. The batch process thing was thrown in to confuse people.

My aunt is a chemistry teacher BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 CosmicLove

I <i>killed</i> myself for that paper,
    & yet I still think I've failed. Please God I'll get a D3, I only need it to pass, I'm not putting it towards points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

I hated it. I really really hated it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

zam wrote: »

haha, I guessed that too!
    I hated it. I really really hated it.

same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Wasn't a bad paper really just small parts like Q9(f)
    hadn't a clue:rolleyes: lol

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

Lovely paper

Tricky bits but over all very happy :)

Hoping for an A or high B

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I thought it was a nice paper, ****ty organic questions, first time I have ever done a paper without doing organic, but overall I thought it was nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 TowlieMcD

Q5 was nothing short of *******! i was hoping to get full marks in it and then DALTON! who the **** is dalton? there's prob only 5 lines on the bastard god forgive me. pretty hard paper...might get B3 at best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 hmmmm52

ha ya i'd say there actually is just 5 lines.....i thought q.5 was grand though organic questions were horrible!
    any1 take down their answer for Kc in equilibrium q??

• Advertisement

hmmmm52 wrote: »
    ha ya i'd say there actually is just 5 lines.....i thought q.5 was grand though organic questions were horrible!
    any1 take down their answer for Kc in equilibrium q??
    2.25 I think.

Advertisement